back to article Fedora 19 lands in beta with updates for devs, cloud

The Fedora Project has announced the beta release of Fedora 19, codenamed "Schrödinger's Cat", almost exactly six months since the previous version entered beta. The release brings the Fedora project back on track after the much-delayed Fedora 18, which shipped two months later than expected due to lingering bugs. Among its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. AdamWill

Desktops

"The new version includes updated versions of the Gnome, KDE Plasma Workspaces, and MATE desktop environments, and a number of Fedora "Spins" are available that support still other desktops, such as Xfce and LXDE."

Just to clarify this: GNOME, KDE, Xfce, LXDE, MATE, Cinnamon and Sugar are available as 'primary' desktop environments for DVD and network installs. All of the above except Cinnamon are also available as live images. Yet other minority/niche/t3h h4rdc0rez WMs/desktops are also available in the repos, including at least fluxbox and e16. I tested all the 'main' desktops (those listed above) for the Beta, and they all work.

1. HaydnH

Re: Desktops

As long as WindowMaker is still available I'll be happy. :)

1. AdamWill

Re: Desktops

Yup, still in the repos.

2. Daniel Snowden

Will this fix the installer?

I've used Fedora for a while now, but I found the installer on 18 to be virtually useless for dual booting as it tries to handle everything automatically (including partition resizing) in place of the option to use existing free space only which was present in previous versions.

Installing on a new desktop, I ended up using a spare disk just for Fedora!

1. AdamWill

Re: Will this fix the installer?

F18 didn't actually do that, but I can see where you could've got confused. The UI has been refined quite a lot for F19, so it ought to be clearer now.

After you select the disk(s) to install to, if there is sufficient free space for a Fedora install, Fedora will offer you three options: install to the free space available, use a simple interface to remove or shrink some existing partitions to make even more free space for an install, or use custom partitioning to define the layout yourself.

If you don't have enough free space to install you'll get the latter two options.

If you just pick to go ahead and install, it'll use the free space - it won't delete any existing partitions or data - and it will configure dual boot with any existing OSes that grub2-mkconfig understands automatically.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like