back to article Cloud silos: the problem they forgot to mention

It is always good to cover new ground. In our recent Regcast, Workload Placement in a Hybrid World, we dealt for the first time (but almost certainly not the last) with the concept of legacy cloud applications. On the face of it, calling a cloud service legacy seems like a rush to judgement. Usually we get through the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Shasta McNasty
    Facepalm

Fundamental Problem

The main problem with "The Cloud" is that its just a sales tag and has no well-defined, common structure within the technical world of IT.

I've seen piss-poor, VM set ups that were labelled as "Clouds" that didn't even come close.

1. Captain Scarlet
      Trollface

Re: Fundamental Problem

Sales people are always fun to troll when they come out with its on the cloud, not only do they not normally know anything important about the product they are selling they don't seem to know what most people expect a cloud to be (For me an application that runs on more than one machine in more than one data centre, otherwise at best its just VPS with HA. My view might be to harsh, but thats my expectations)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

not harsh just technically correct.

1. oolor

>not harsh just technically correct.

The best kind of correct!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cloud Latency Hit...?

It sure is an attractive idea to outsource menial daily maintenance and overall worry to Cloud providers. But I rarely glimpse any insight into the impact of latency? Can someone offer some real-world enlightenment? Do all companies take at least one critical app, port it to the cloud, and then do benchmarking before migrating?

3. jake Silver badge

For what it's worth ...

... I've accepted 7 contracts in the last 18 months pulling corporations out of the clouds. It's actually quite lucrative :-)

1. oolor
      Coat

Re: For what it's worth ...

Shhh! So should we not be big-upping the cloud then?

This topic is closed for new posts.