back to article Transporter upstart Connected Data could will merge with Drobo

Connected Data - the peer-to-peer, cloud-free, file sync 'n share Transporter-maker startup - could buy* Drobo, the supplier of the eponymous and absurdly easy to use protected file-storage devices. Both companies were founded by Geoff Barrall and he is currrently the CEO of Connected Data. Barrall also founded Drobo, whose …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Despite being an IT geek who loves racks full of fans and flashing lights, that Drobo Mini looks so cute. Want one.

1. An0n C0w4rd

At my last job (an ISP) the marketing dept. tried to force operations to buy USR Total Control Rack modems because they had lots of flashing lights instead of the Ascend Max 4004 that they eventually went with (and then the Ascend TNT).

Blinky lights aren't always the sign of a good product (although I think Apple went too far the other way with removing the drive access lights from their laptop range)

2. Don Jefe

Gimme It Back

I heard Barral on a 'Speaking In Tech' podcast a while back and you could hear in his voice that he wasn't done with Drobo. He really talked about it a lot. He talked up the Transporter too, but couldn't seem to stay away from Drobo.

3. Nick Pettefar

Why?

Drobo: slow, expensive, proprietry. What is the attraction?

1. Justin Stringfellow
      Headmaster

Re: Why?

It's "proprietary". Learn to spell.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only Drobo's I've seen are busted ones -not impressed with the product at all.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Alternatively

buy some off the shelf parts and bung FreeNAS on, saving shed loads of money and getting something just as good but not necessarily very pretty.

This topic is closed for new posts.