back to article Wikileaks leaks documentary script about Wikileaks

Wikileaks has released a transcript of a documentary about its history so it can add notes to each section saying "Wrong!", a day before the film debuts. The secret-spilling site has taken umbrage with We Steal Secrets: The Story of Wikileaks, which is set to debut in New York and Los Angeles today and released a transcript of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So where is the ...

Justice4AssangesVictims website?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So where is the ...

People who believe in victims rights believe that it serves no purpose for creating a propaganda website.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Change of name required

Wikileaks'n'comments

The danger of adding thoughts to leaked documents is that the writing style can be used to trace them. Whether that's a good or bad thing I'll leave up to your preference.

1. Psyx
      Stop

Re: Change of name required

"The danger of adding thoughts to leaked documents is that the writing style can be used to trace them. Whether that's a good or bad thing I'll leave up to your preference."

So?

Style analysis will point towards someone in Wikileaks adding the notes of rebuttal. How is that a shock... or danger?

And style analysis only goes so far and requires good context and sufficient text to allow natural patterns to emerge.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: Change of name required

I'll laugh hysterically if the film content is different from what Wikileaks claims that it is.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
          Happy

Re: Wzrd1 Re: Change of name required

"I'll laugh hysterically if the film content is different from what Wikileaks claims that it is." You'll probably be the only person in the cinema so you'll be able to laugh as loud as you like.

3. Psyx
    Pint

"Guardian investigative journalist Nick Davies also caught some flak for claiming Assange had said Afghan supporters of foreign military forces in their country “deserve to die”."

Ow. Zing.

Surely you'd expect Assange to 100% back the actions of whistle-blowers, moles, spies and tattle-tales?

After-all, they've been keeping him in 5 star hotels and column inches for the last few years!

Clearly only one person here is telling the truth: Assange or a Guardian reporter.

BET NOW!

1. James O'Shea

The last time that I pointed out that Julian the Ass's pirate ancestor was probably a lot more honest than Julian is, my post got moderated. I wonder if this one will survive?

In any case, I'll believe pretty much anyone before I'll believe Julian the Ass. Even (shudder) the Daily Mail, much less the Guardian. And normally I think that the Daily Mail is best employed at the bottom of parrot cages.

2. Steve Knox
      Boffin

The only winning bet is not to play.

Clearly only one person here is telling the truth: Assange or a Guardian reporter.

BET NOW!

You have incorrectly assumed that one of the two is telling the truth. It is entirely possible for two directly contradictory statements to both be false. It is even more likely that the two original statements are not directly contradictory, but only apparently so, due to the confounding effects of imprecise original language and intervening quotations.

3. Scorchio!!
      Thumb Up

Let me help people who read your comments by posting this link:

http://m.perthnow.com.au/technology/wikileaks-critiques-we-steal-secrets-documentary/story-fnhod56e-1226650317461

Remember his proposed 'paywall' facility? The substantial advance for his book, from which he withdrew claiming the publishers had no right to go ahead with it, in spite of the advance? There are other sums to consider, including his salary which is of eye watering proportions.

Even if he ever had good intentions - and his conviction on some 17 counts in Australia says to me otherwise - he lost them the minute he became greedier.

1. James O'Shea

Oh, he never had good intentions. And cellcos (AT&T, I'm looking at _you_) may be greedier than he is, but even that's a stretch.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's about time the Americans sent in a seal unit to dispose of their bodies by dropping them out of helicopters into the nearest sea. With killing them before hand being optional and entirely upto the discretion of the seal team commander.

A fair few of us would buy him a beer for moving the entire debate onto whether it's acceptable for individuals who work for state organisations to be able to act "however the fuck they like" as it is for convicted criminal self proclaimed journalists to do so.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Who are you talking about? The Daily Mail? Holywood?

Your post lacks clarity and focus.

2. Cliff

Fuck yeah! Then sharks with last beams for eyes would kill them with prejudice and chomp on a massive cigar and go yeah who's laughing now and then a bom goes of then the sharks rides three tsunami which righteously drowns the guilty ones and then they get in the fast car and do a jump.

3. Cliff

Seriously though,

I love the idea of sending the navy seals into Afghanistan, of all places I can't think why they haven't been deployed there yet.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge
        Coat

Re: Seriously though,

I love the idea of sending the navy seals into Afghanistan, of all places I can't think why they haven't been deployed there yet.

Can't understand that either. I mean, I can understand not deploying seals in Canada as it would account for all sorts of linguistic confusion if they went clubbing..

(it's Friday)

The dirty Mac, thanks.

2. Ian Michael Gumby
        Black Helicopters

You do realize that the US Navy Seals have been in country in Afghanistan, right?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

They should use real seals. It would be much funnier. Or possibly penguins.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Not the penguins! You'd get the Linux world all up in arms!

Send that cute *BSD devil girl. She'd have everyone surrendering to her.

3. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Erm, you do realize that the SEAL teams have long been in Afghanistan?

Indeed, the death of a large part of a team made the news when their helicopter crashed and burned.

4. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"It's about time the Americans sent in a seal unit to dispose of their bodies by dropping them out of helicopters into the nearest sea."

So, you advocate for my nation to send in a SEAL team to murder foreign civilians in a foreign land because they're mildly irritating?

Good lord! You probably wanted us to nuke the USSR every day that you lived during the cold war. Especially as the USSR was a bit beyond irritating.

Of course, the US happened to match irritation factor, so it all balanced out.

5. gnufrontier

Human complexity

Having looked at the "rebuttal" and a video of the director about the film it strikes me that as usual one is dealing with two agendas and perspectives. I do think it is almost impossible to really determine all the variables involved in a person's actions (including Manning and Assange) . Biology, psychology and social experience all play their part whether one is chimney sweep or prime minister. We would like to have some simple answer but there isn't one. What's more important is the societal response to the action because it changes the societal environment and as we know, when an environment changes, some organisms go extinct and others flourish. If I had to make a bet, I'd say there will be more shade, less sun.

6. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Stop

LOL!

What a bunch of hypocrites! I thought it was a case of A$$nut's ego leading Wikileaks but now it seems they're all equally moronic. ".....The stock footage used has been heavily edited, in some places distorting what was said...." Oh, like Dickileaks has never edited video to distort a message? And as for them getting uppity over the implication A$$nut could be culpable of encouraging or actually directing Manning, if they're that upset tell them to bring a case for libel and see how that goes.

And as for their version of the "truth" - from Red Ken Loach, a council member and representative of the truly awful Respect Party? What a joke!

7. John Stirling

I'm interested to see. ..

...that one person being an ass has sufficiently destroyed good will that the consensus on here (a generally liberal rational forum) is that whistle blowing is bad and governments should keep whatever secrets they like.

after all if wiki leaks had taught us anything it is that authority can be trusted. ..

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Happy

Re: JohnStirling: I'm interested to see. ..

".....after all if wiki leaks had taught us anything it is that authority can be trusted. .." What Dickileaks has taught most is that egocentric convicted e-criminals like A$$nut will happily dupe the paranoid into giving them their cash. There are however still some Faithful that still seem to believe in their Holy St Jules.

2. david wilson

Re: I'm interested to see. ..

>>"I'm interested to see [....] that the consensus on here (a generally liberal rational forum) is that whistle blowing is bad and governments should keep whatever secrets they like."

How many people have actually expressed views anything like that (trolls excluded)?

Personally, I don't think my views have changed meaningfully.

I still believe in general openness, ideally via decent freedom of information laws, with official protection for grown-up whistleblowers revealing information which people have a real right to know, and with responsible journalism providing a safety net for when official channels fail.

I'm also wondering what real effect all the megaleaks have actually had on general opinions of the nature of government and politics.

Hands up anyone who prior to wikileaks had a serious faith in the integrity of their government, or believed that their military forces were above doing unpleasant things in countries where people were trying to kill them, and has had that faith shattered by what they have learned.

Now, *keep* your hands up if you were beyond your mid-20s when the leaks started, with an average knowledge of 20th century political history.

8. John Tserkezis

Hollywood would never let "lies" or even "truth bending" get in the way of a good film?

Never!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like