back to article Bureau of Stats releases educational SimClone game

Australia's Bureau of Statistics (ABS) has released a game, Run That Town, that borrows heavily form SimCity to give players the chance to learn about the way statistics are used to shape policy. The iOS-only game, offers the chance to pick an Australian postcode, then assume a quasi-mayoral role and juggle competing fiscal …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iOS-only?

Well there's your first failure in the appropriate application of statistics. Android is the dominant platform.

2. Gray Ham Bronze badge
    WTF?

Someone down on Benjamin Way clearly has too much time on their hands.

And, I know that everyone in this city thinks they could do a better job than the local government, but seriously, what does ABS know about city management?

3. Esskay
    Joke

"Approve proposals that more locals love"

Hmmm.... Marrickville...

1. Victoria Yeeros expansion onto every corner

2. Subsidise costs of said yeeros

3.???

4. Profit

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)
      IT Angle

Re: "Approve proposals that more locals love"

There's only one Victoria Yeeros, and thank goodness for that. Bloody expensive there these days. IMHO The Sultan's Table in Enmore destroys it for value and taste.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with either.

Double disclaimer: We're arguing about kebab shops? I'd better move this to Bootnotes before this gets out of hand.

1. Esskay
        Thumb Up

Re: "Approve proposals that more locals love"

Yeah, the price has become pretty outrageous, but on a dollar-per-clogged-artery basis it's actually quite good value.

Haven't tried The Sultan's Table, but will now!

4. LaeMing
    Go

Do they have the gameplay mode...

...where you are kicked out of office and possibly put in the clink, and replaced with an auditor for letting certain cashed-up lobby groups be a bit /too/ influential?

5. silent_count
    Thumb Down

Yay for open standards!

Good to see an Australian government department promoting the use of open standards so their output is available to all citizens. Oh wait, it's iOS only. :/

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like