back to article Yahoo! May! Buy! Tumblr! For! One! BEELLION! Bucks!

Yahoo! has reportedly opened its chequebook, pencilled in nine zeroes with a one in front, and waved it around in the general direction of blogging site Tumblr. Adweek says Yahoo! is willing to write the billion-dollar cheque because Tumblr is so cool it will excite advertisers. The Wall Street Journal quotes Yahoo! officials …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. as2003

Oh man, yahoo is just a grave yard of once-promising projects.

I bet anyone with an interest in tumblr failing are rubbing their hands in glee right now.

2. Pet Peeve
    Trollface

Has Yahoo EVER successfully integrated a purchased company's product? Flickr is about as close as it gets, and they mostly drove the userbase away once they bought it.

Given the often loud and needy tumblr userbase, I think it's time to make some popcorn. This gonna be good.

3. tempemeaty
    Unhappy

No. Just no.

Yahoo. Please. Don't. Ruin. My. Tumblr.

4. ceebee
    FAIL

oh! NO!!!

they destroyed Flickr! do not let them near Tumblr .. pleaseeeeeeeee!!!

1. Hieronymus Howerd

Re: oh! NO!!!

Can you actually quantify "ruined"? Flickr is largely identical to how it was prior to the deal.

1. Hieronymus Howerd

Re: oh! NO!!!

Oh, NOW I see how they've ruined it. What a mess.

5. Captain DaFt

It's sad, really.

Can't Yahoo! just figure out how to fix what they have first?

(It should be easy, just quit doing what they did to break it in the first place.)

Instead, they're going terminal, and smashing everything around them in their death throws.

1. Captain DaFt

Damn you autocomplete!

That was supposed to be "throes" not "throws"!

2. Rafael L
      WTF?

Re: It's sad, really.

What exactly is broken?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where does Yahoo! Get their cash supply from?

They're a dead company, yet they keep finding value to buy and ruin other companies. How do they do it? Are they actually an accountancy tax loss scheme for someone else?

1. Rafael L

Re: Where does Yahoo! Get their cash supply from?

Guess what? Yahoo! is still the 1st/2nd/3rd most visited website in the world friend...

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Studley
    Facepalm

Buy Tumblr > make Yahoo cool

Yeah. Just like dad doing Gangnam Style dance > make dad cool.

9. jake Silver badge

"tumblr"? What's that?

New one on me ... Is it important enough to be worth a gigabuck?

Somehow, I seriously doubt it ... Quite honestly, I've never heard of it.

1. Lamont Cranston

Re: "tumblr"? What's that?

If only Yahoo! had a search engine, then you could use that to look up "tumblr". Oh well...

2. Tim Jenkins

I quite admire Tumblr in its dedication to return the World Wide Web to its original intended purpose, which was, of course, the acquisition, cataloguing and dissemination of lovingly curated collections of pr0n.

Or so I've heard, anyway...

1. Pet Peeve
        Alert

It's a blogging site with a very low technical barrier to entry. Consequently, it's loaded with young people, most if not all of which will react violently to being monetized. With Yahoo in charge, it could easily turn into the next geocities.

As entertaining as it might be to watch the dinosaur eat something bigger than its head, hopefully tumblr tells them to stuff it.

3. You need to log in to use this part of the site

Thanks.

Not particularly for the content of your post, but for surprising me enough with a "someone hasn't heard of Twitter?!" moment that I realised I'd mis-read not only the original article, but every subsequent comment until yours.

I've got it now. Tumblr, not Twitter.

Actually, that's worse. I don't use Twitter, but I do use Tumblr. Oh noes!.... etc.

10. NomNomNom

where the hell does yahoo get 1 billion from

what do they even sell?

11. Ian 55

Dear Tumblr

Take the money.

Even though they will mess it up.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like