back to article Microsoft: Next WinPhone 8 update to arrive this summer

We still don't know for sure what changes will arrive in Windows 8.1, the big OS update that's expected to ship as a preview in late June, but Microsoft has begun teasing a few details of the next update to Windows Phone 8. Windows group chief marketing and finance officer Tami Reller confirmed that the major desktop update …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Excellent news.

As a WP8 user, i was starting to wonder if i had made the right choice. This is encouraging news...

I would like to see better ways to close an app instead of having to flick back.

Better, easier multitasking would be nice, a better SMS UI and a bit of a polish to some of its rough edges.

Also, the copy and paste options need improvement.....

But the radio is the thing i miss the most.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Excellent news.

Yes, radio is what I miss the most too. With the current contract I do get a good amount of data, but an FM radio (or, shock horror, even a DAB radio) would be nice, while they do fade out of reception there's more FM than there is general internet bandwidth.

I know that Android has FM radios, but I don't really like the UI and my partner has had a bunch of problems with her Galaxy.

2. The_Regulator

I agree, I think windows phone has a lot of promise. Full disclosure I have been using it since 7.0 with a Gen 1 Samsung Focus and even back then though it was in its infancy it worked well just with no bells & whistles.

Apps are coming gradually, still some major ones missing but it seems they are picking up steam.

Things I want/need: separate volume controls for media and notifications, a unified notification center for designated apps, tv remote control app for my LG LED TV or better yet universal remote control, my bank is a small place so probably not gonna get an app for that but more banking apps, instagram (not for me just so people stop bitching about it), improved Xbox music (needs work), better voice controls and a good IRC client.

All in all though I could get zero updates for my 920 as of now and be totally satisfied with the experience.

Glad you are enjoying too!!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I love the optimist in you...

Sadly it is inevitable that you will be underwhelmed.....

4. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
      Facepalm

"As a WP8 user, i was starting to wonder if i had made the right choice"

Erm what, if you like it then surely you have made the right choice for yourself?

5. davidp231

Also, something that lets the email application attach files other than images from your photo album would be a nice touch.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Microsoft - Enter These Holy Commands

yum install tedious_wanker

2. The_Regulator

This is an article about phones dumbass. Learn to read before you comment.

3. jaywin

If after all that effort, it's still going to suck, why not just write off the whole exercise and ignore the platform, leaving those who don't mind it to go about their business and saving your keyboard from your wrath into the bargain?

4. mmeier

Gunner, Pingufreak 12 o'clock, load MZ, fire

1. wowfood

I was actually going to joke how the new windows phone update was going to bring back the start menu, but I don't think I'll bother now.

2. mmeier

To the downvoters:

I agree, MZ (HEDP for the Amis) is not really the proper grenade against Pingufreaks. But since the Leo1 is out of service and the Rh120(mm) has no Beehive so it's the best there is short of artillery.

3. We're all in it together

With lots more apps

Such as an off key.

10 REM I is crap at BASIC

20 PRINT "Android isn't invented yet and I am typing this in WH Smiths"

30 GOTO 20

Several work colleagues have gone over to WP8. I have just purchased a SIM free Lumia 620 to reduce costs having transferred my current number to giffgaff due to the two year contract being up. For a relatively low spec handset it ain't bad, and this is from a bloke wot has used both Apple and Android products. I wouldn't be surprised if it catches up in the marketplace. You have htc and Samsung producing models alongside Nokia and whilst the app numbers aren't huge they are increasing. And the interface is clever and not slow either.

I'll get me coat

4. hplasm
    WTF?

Why-

Would anyone make hardware specifically for an 'operating system; that doesn't support it's features?

And conversely why not support hardware that was built for your OS specially?

Something doesn't add up in MS world. But that has happened before too...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why-

Well, at a guess, they know what's coming for the OS and want to have hardware ready when it does?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does the update install Sailfish, Android, Tizen, Ubuntu or Firefox? If not, why bother? The above few users will be happy but that is about it.

6. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Would they need a "blue" for phones?

Would they need a "blue" for phones? It seems the main features of blue will be restoring the start button and allowing the choice of UI instead of forcing TIFKAM as is appropriate for a desktop. A phone's not a desktop so I would not think these are important features to wait for.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

don't worry

the next version will be much better! you can have it tomorrow.. and you know about tomorrow...

9. elyl

http://www.eadon.com/eadon.php

EADON WEB DESIGN/LIFE FAIL!

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Eadon withdraws comment shocker?!

Omelette meet face.

EPIC FAIL

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like