back to article Techies at The Onion: Here's how Syrian Electronic Army hacked our Twitter

Techies at satirical news outfit The Onion have posted an informative explanation about how pro-Assad hacktivists from the Syrian Electronic Army hijacked their official Twitter account on Monday. Previously the Syrian Electronic Army (SEA) has shanghaied its way into the official Twitter feeds of AP and the Guardian, using …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bernard

While condemning both their methods (hacking) and their goal (propping up a dodgy regime)

I have to commend the hackers for both their cunning and their editorial poise.

It must be scary for IT admins when they find out just how much brighter the hackers are than their network users.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

But why?

Either they also target other major news sources's twitter feeds but none of them fell for the bait

Or - the Syrian inteligence agency is about as well informed as its opposite numbers in the CIA., M15 and RAC

Picture the scene; in a glass-whiteboard clad, moodily lit underground layer in Damascus:

General - our crack team of cyber ninja commandos have managed to penetrate the main news organisation of the western-facist-zionist-oppressors.

Abdul - I told you before, Fox is not a real news site it's a parody, try again.

No General - this time we have struck against "the onion", the one that revealed Kim Jong Ill to be the sexiest world leader.

Well done Abdul - have a medal.

2. You need to log in to use this part of the site
    FAIL

Look on the bright side

Those tweets were the first time anything remotely funny has been published online under The Onion name.

1. cd

Re: Look on the bright side

Those tweets were the first time anything REMOTELY funny has been published online under The Onion name.

Yup, got it.

1. John 90

What bullshit! The Onion isn't as funny as it used to be, but it did use to be hilarious. "Man known as the Shark Whisperer still missing at sea."

1. JCitizen
          Devil

Or "That brand new Sony piece of fucking shit that doesn't do a goddamn thing" or something like that! I still laugh every time I play that one! HA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1s792Rr3M8

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Best way to avoid having your twitter account hacked is...

... don't have one.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like