back to article Can't beat the Nexus 7? Join it: Nook tablet gets Google Play store

Tablet maker and bookseller Barnes & Noble is to add Google’s digital shop front, Play, to its Android-based Nook HD and Nook HD+ slates. To date, the two tablets, which run Android but keep it buried under B&N’s own UI, have sold film, music and ebook content through the company’s own virtual outlets. Software too has come …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rampant Spaniel

This may just convince me to get one. I know you can get sd cards with android on them and go that route but adding the play store to the nook would make that less of a necessity. Not having to rebuy apps would make me far more likely to buy one as having to do so negates the cost advantage. I guess I shall be watching for this years nooks come september!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why won't someone sell me..

an e-ink reader that integrates nicely with the Google Play book store?

I won't buy a Kindle because of the Amazon lock-in, and whilst the Sony e-reader is nice, it's let down by Sony's store.

If I had the Sony reader AND the Google store, it would be excellent. I know I can use the Google store on the Sony in a clunky browser-esqe way, download the Adobe DRM file and it then authorises it on the device, but it's less than ideal.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Why won't someone sell me..

I'd love this as well. A 7" e-ink screen with andriod. I know they have been holding back colour e-ink screens due to colour wash out but consider what I want from a tablet this is fine.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So you won't buy a Kindle because of Amazon lock-in (though, of course, the Kindle books can be read on pretty much anything - it's the Kindle reader that's locked down), but you'll buy books from Google Book Store which has locked you into a system where you can't use an e-ink device to read them?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

AMZ files can only be read on a Kindle, or a Kindle app on a tablet.

A tablet is not for books. I already have a fine Tablet that's not locked down. I want an e-ink reader that allows me to buy from Google Books, simply because:

a) it supports EPUB, which means purchases are transferable to other hardware, and I can use other stores.

b) EPUB allows me to rent books for free.

c) Google Books has by far and away the best ebook selection, far better than Amazon, far better than anyone else. They are also better priced fror the majority of the titles.

1. 20legend

c) Google Books has by far and away the best ebook selection, far better than Amazon, far better than anyone else.

Shame you can't side-load your own content into the Google books app.......

2. Maryland, USA

Not only that: Google ebooks can't be read on the best book reader, Moon Reader Pro. Once I discovered this, that was the end of my Google ebook purchasing.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Nook Simple Touch Reader is based on Android - it doesn't have Google Play in the factory install, but apparently it can be rooted and Google Play can be installed then. Might be worth investing £29.00 to have a look!

Note: I've not tried this myself, so I don't know how useful it is.

4. Epobirs

There is no difficulty in removing the DRM from EPUB files purchased from Google Play store. This lets you put them on any device you like. Or you can simply purchase the item and find a torrent for the book in question. Nobody can really complain so long you paid. For that matter, you can buy Kindle books that have no EPUB version, remove the DRM, then convert them to EPUB using Calibre.

since it's just data files and not code, it's easy to move it to any device you prefer once you find the right tools. I prefer e-ink for reading, too.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How strange

You would think a company part owned by MS would take the thing out back and put it down.

1. Epobirs

Re: How strange

That might be the case if it were true but it isn't. MS and B&N are partners in a joint venture. Microsoft doesn't have any position in B&N itself.

1. Mikel
        Windows

Re: How strange

This joint venture is the Nook.

4. Efros

Just waiting for the garage sale. Then I might be tempted to buy a couple.

5. Daniel Barnes

I picked up the Nook HD+ for my brother in law for the bargain price of £60, second hand but boxed and like new. I was pleasantly surprised by the build quality and the screen is really nice. I got it running cyanogen 10 and he was happy as larry!

With it now being able to access the play store and other googly apps I would probably recommend it to anyone after a mid-range android tab.

6. Epobirs

Got it while the getting was good.

Recently B&N had a nice promotion. Buy a Nook HD (HD+ 32GB in my case) and get a free Nook Simple Touch Reader for free. This was especially nice as I had some B&N gift card accumulated. The Simple Touch is a nice upgrade over the original Nook I already had, except the touch function comes and goes with no warning, so I'll have to take it in for a reset or replacement. Thems the breaks.

I'm afraid, though, that B&N just won't last much longer. By throwing open the platform to outside software sellers they've given the strategy that was supposed to allow them to sell the tablet for less than a competing unit of comparable features than didn't lock you in to a single supply channel. B&N has been teetering for a while and this might be a preliminary move to folding up shop entirely.

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: Got it while the getting was good.

Maybe, or maybe just running break even on tablets will let them keep their doors open as a b&m book store (and wannabe yuppie coffee house). I don't have a nook (or any tablet beyond stealing the kids ainol now and again) but I do got to b&n a lot. Adding google play (and already having a sd card slot) makes it a given I will get one later in the year and it will be a nook not a kindle. That will keep me going back to their book store and also mean I buy my ebooks from them. I do realize however that I seem to usually be in the minority with this kind of thinking :) It is a gamble for sure, but I can see how it would pay off. As long as they don't make a significant loss on the hardware it's another way to get people in their store and keep those doors open. It's a big win over kindles. I won't buy any apps from them, or its highly unlikely, but I wasn't going to anyway. Again, such thinking will probably have me back in the rubber wallpaper room, but there might be enough people that think they same for it to work. They are going to have a hard time going toe to toe with the kindle otherwise.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like