back to article New NASA rover lands in frigid alien hell tomorrow

NASA's newest rover, the Goddard Remotely Operated Vehicle for Exploration and Research (GROVER), tomorrow (May 3rd) starts operations in a frigid alien hell with a climate utterly inimical to human life: the ice sheets of Greenland. GROVER follows familiar design specs: NASA describes it as “tank-like”, an apt choice of words …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Knox
    Coat

GROVER, eh?

So, they'll set him down somewhere NEAR...

and then they'll send him somewhere FAR...

and then he'll come back -- but before he gets too NEAR...

they'll turn him back around and send him FAR away again?

INB4 "What a Muppett!"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Will

Will probably end up stuck in a snow drift and need rescuing..... Several times.

NASA used to explore the distant reaches of space, now due to budget cuts they will be exploring closer to home.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Will

NASA used to explore the distant reaches of space, now due to budget cuts they will be exploring closer to home.

More likely its NASA explore the distant reaches of space so are trying out new autonomous rover technology on earth before sending it on a long journey to a place where they can't send the mechanics.

2. Thorne

Obviously

Muppets work cheaper than Indians...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Obviously

My kind of Commentard... said Animal... salivating...

2. Calidore

Re: Obviously

Not since Disney bought them.

3. Magani
    Linux

Is it just me or...

... does that look like a huge laptop on the body between the tracks?

Penguins want to know more about cold icy places.

1. Mako

Re: Is it just me or...

It's not just you. If GROVER is 6 feet tall, and if that is a laptop, then that laptop must be gargantuan.

1. Mako

Ah wait - it's 6 feet tall including its solar panels, which are not installed in that picture. And that is a laptop.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/grover.html

1. Ralph B

Yup, it looks like about 4 foot of the height are the solar panels, mounted on a steep A frame. I predict it will get blown over in the first week of operation.

1. hayseed

800 lbs, low center-of-mass, wide tracks to counter wind forces perpendicular to the direction of the solar panels. It does look like that might have been taken into account, as mentioned by the lead scientist in the interview. I wonder about ravines, though.

4. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Thumb Up

What happens in autumn?

Will it drive itself back to base?

Or are they planning to go out and retrieve it?

If they leave it out there, will it wake up again next spring?

Or will it be completely buried by winter snow and become part of the ice sheet?

So many questions!

5. SW

Optional accessories?

Looks like there's plenty of room to add further equipment on to it.

Hm, frickin lasers spring to mind - can never have enough frickin lasers on an autonomous vehicle.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Optional accessories?

You seem to have "autonomous vehicle" and "shark" mixed up. Don't worry, its a common mistake.

1. Shrimpling

NASA's last autonomous vehicle came with a deadly laser, why can't this one?

2. SW

But is it not likely that the shark would/could be at the controls initially via the WIFI control link - I don't think it was mentioned exactly who's got hold of the joystick.

(we need a shark icon methinks)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Works only when solar power avaialble .... cue reports of "NASA rover finds Greenland constantly melting"!

7. DuncanL

And the second version will reveal it's secret identity as...

SUPER GROVER!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like