back to article US 700Mhz auction raises $19.6bn

The Federal Communication Commission (FCC) has announced the end of the US 700MHz auction, but won't be saying who's snapped up the frequencies for another 10 days or so while they officially close the sale. The delay is down to the lack of bids on the D block, which had a reserve of $1.6bn and an obligation to provide a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous from Mars
    Thumb Up

Finally!

I wouldn't have guessed that the reason it took so long was ecause of a LACK of bids, though.

Nobody in my personal life cares about this auction and they give me weird looks when I mention it.

2. Terry
    Unhappy

Well that sucks

So it sounds like no Google or any other innovation. While desperately wishing for a different answer it sounds like verizon and att did exactly what they had to do -- pay any amount WHATSOEVER to ensure they could continue to rape and pillage the American people for the Long Term to come.

This is exactly what gives capitalism a bad name!!!!! I feel fortunate to be a part of such a progressive system.

PLUS, now we get to watch the FCC piss away $19,000,000,000 without showing one single benefit for anyone who actually pays taxes, has a job, should be allowed to breed.

This is a real Monday Morning sort of story.

3. Lee Dowling Silver badge
    Joke

Spend it on...

"The FCC already has plans for the cash. Apparently, it's to be spent on "public safety and digital television transition initiatives", so it's digital set-top boxes all round then."

Surely it's more likely to be a bit more lock-in, like mandating HDMI, broadcast flags, etc. I don't believe they'd just give out some set top boxes without forcing people into using a few of their "best ideas".

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

How much?

For a British publication, this should be $19,000 million, unless the auction raised $19,000,000,000,000. Just because our colonial friends cannot count (or spell for that matter) does not mean we should follow suit in this ignorance.

Teach a man to fish...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When in Rome...

If reporting the US$ amount then using the US definition of billion seems reasonable.

If it was converted to the UK £ equivalent then I'd have expected to see £9,500 million.

6. Andrew Smith

silly me for suggesting....

... but maybe instead of auctioning it off it could have just been opened up.

The main reason we have such huge companies who have so much power over us is due to the massive entry costs into these businesses, only a large company which can dominate us can ever afford the amounts required!

7. Curtis W. Rendon
    Flame

@How much?

By ISO definitions, billion = 10^9

We count quite well enough to send vehicles to other planets, how about you?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like