back to article Gaming app ENSLAVES punter PCs in Bitcoin mining ring

A competitive gaming company has admitted that for two weeks in April its software client was hijacking league members' PCs to mine Bitcoins. In an eyebrow-raising turn of events, the company, ESEA Gaming, admitted on Wednesday that its software client had been running Bitcoin-mining algorithms on customer PCs since April 14, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Turtle

In a word...

"Along with the prize pot, ESEA gaming is also donating double the value of the mined Bitcoins – $7,427.10 at current market rates – to the American Cancer Society."

Commendable.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Babbit55
      Thumb Down

Re: Why not...

Because would you use a program that maxed your VERY power hungry GPU (this is a competitive gaming program so the rigs will be monsters) constantly meaning the power bill was huge AND your VERY expensive GPU has its operating life shorted significantly

1. Nigel 11
        Flame

Re: Why not...

your VERY expensive GPU has its operating life shorted significantly

in that case it's your very expensive AND VERY BADLY DESIGNED GPU. Silicon should last effectively forever (at least a decade, by which time it's obsolete) running at 50C - 60C. Typically it suffers logic errors and crashes at around 100C, because the hotter it gets the slower the transistors switch. This, however, is crash not burn. Once it's cooled down it again works fine.

Modern designs normally throttle themselves back when they're getting too hot, on the basis that users prefer slower to crashed. The cynic in me suggests that it's also a great way to persuade users to buy a new "faster" computer when all they really need is a new fan on the old one's heatsink to restore its original operating performance. (Or even just a vacuum cleaner to get the fluff out of the heatsink fins).

"Damage" is cumulative, caused by thermally activated migration of atoms within the chip. The rate at which it happens rises as the exp of the ABSOLUTE temperature. 60C is 333K, 100C is 373K, the difference is fairly small.

I was once called in to service an AMD Athlon system with what turned out to be a failed hard disk. Before I got there I touched the heatsink and my skin sizzled. The CPU had been running at over 100C since the fan failed months? years? ago, without any problems at all.

3. Graham Marsden
    Holmes

"unauthorized actions of this unauthorized individual"

The cynical part of me reads that as "fall guy"...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like