back to article ESA retires Herschel space telescope as too hot to handle

The European Space Agency has formally retired the Herschel space telescope after nearly four years of operation, and has placed it in a parking orbit that will keep it out of Earth's way. Herschel's at rest at last Herschel's at rest at last Hershcel, along with the Planck space telescope, was launched on May 14, 2009, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Thanks for the pics, Herschel!!

That's all I have to say. Great project, its a shame we didn't have a way to send it into orbit with more coolant aboard.

2. ecofeco Silver badge
    Thumb Up

More than worth it

^ That about sums it up for me.

3. MondoMan
    Happy

A job well done!

Nice to mark the passing of this important observatory -- thanks!

Minor note: since the Earth-Sun L2 point is actually on the opposite side of the Earth from the Sun, it's not technically "between the Earth and the Sun."

4. Robert Heffernan
    Facepalm

Museum

"Hopefully by then we'll have the space-faring capability to retrieve it and bring it home to take its well-earned place in a museum or suitable institute of learning."

I wish we could do that for Hubble, it's going to wind up a molten streak across some ocean floor. Not a very diginified way to go for something that has expanded out horizon so immensely.

5. Big-nosed Pengie
    Headmaster

Liters?

Spelling check required.

1. TheProf
      Headmaster

Re: Liters?

'Meter' too, although a spell checker wouldn't spot the error.

6. Robert Sneddon
    Boffin

Dual use

It's a shame there wasn't another instrument on board that could make use of that ginormous mirror now the primary mission is complete.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dual use

It's a fair point, but it's one that was considered. Essentially, big as a 3.5m mirror is, it isn't *that* big. With the dawn of mega-scale distributed telescopes and interferometry here on terra firma, an uncooled 3.5m instrument wouldn't actually be of much use, even with the advantage of being in space. You'd end up in the situation where you'd compromise the lifespan or the capabilities of the primary mission for a secondary mission that could well be obsolete before it even came online. Even if the far infrared performance of ground-based telescopes doesn't come up to what we might hope for, you'd end up with a poor man's JWST.

When they designed Herschel they basically went "Right, so, Ariane 5's about 5 metres across, lose a bit over a metre for the heatshield, then let's fill the rest up with the BIGGEST MIRROR and BIGGEST TANK OF HELIUM we can build" - more instruments or less helium would've compromised that.

1. Robert Sneddon

Re: Dual use

It's the biggest mirror outside the atmosphere[1] by a long way, as far as I can recall which gives it an advantage in the infra-red imaging spectrum, and it actually got built and launched and used. The JWST seems to have grown roots and its launch and commissioning is receding deep into the future almost as fast as the universe is expanding...

I'm envisaging the Herschel could have carried an additional lower-resolution detector operating in the near IR, cooled by a heat-pump and used for recording time-series IR data of dynamic changes in nebulae etc. over a period of years or even (if the money and hardware held out) decades. The Hubble has been kept running for nearly thirty years now after a lot of teething-trouble TLC and it still has a few more years left under the hood so I'd expect the Herschel's "bus" with its more modern hardware to be able to match that to support an extended scientific program if the detectors were available.

[1] I think there's a radiotelescope satellite that's got a bigger collecting dish but it's not optical.

2. mIRCat
      Coat

Re: Duel use

Space Telescopes at dawn?

7. JaitcH
    Happy

Nothing beats ...

Hubble for ROI, reliability, years of service!

And great pictures.

1. sandman

Re: Nothing beats ...

Don't forget one of the coolest space repair missions so far - Hubble wasn't too good before that - afterwards was a different matter.

8. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Science is awesome!

For those that don't 'get' science:

At the very minimum, look at the amazing images and start thinking.

9. Chris Evans

A premature death?

I looked in the article to find if it was a premature death but couldn't see that info.

According to Wikipedia it had a life expectancy of 3.5 years so survived over 10% longer than anticipated.

Well done NASA.

1. bamalam

Re: A premature death?

Er... It's ESA we need to thank actually.

1. mIRCat
        Joke

Re: A premature death?

"Er... It's ESA we need to thank actually."

I think I see the problem here, you're not an American, are you?

10. Chris Evans

Oops sorry ESA!

Sorry my excuse is I wasn't paying attention and I'd looked up 'Lagrangian points' which the Herschel uses and ended up at NASA:

http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/mission/observatory_l2.html

Very interesting and understandable article. I'm in the UK so don't blame our American cousins this time!

Anyway congratulations ESA.

11. Yag

Time for a space refuelling station...

Deep Space Industries business model don't seems that silly now.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like