back to article Google Now lands on iOS

Google has released its signature search app, Google Now, on Apple's iOS. Google's search apps have been on iOS for years and have included voice search for quite some time. The new release is notable inasmuch as it brings some of Google's more advanced search services that resemble, challenge or surpass Apple's own voice- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Martin Huizing
    Thumb Up

Siri: What's it like to have competition in your backyard?

That sentence alone made me realize why I keep coming back to El Reg.

Keep it up guys and gals! Have a great Summer!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Re: Siri: What's it like to have competition in your backyard?

It's not competition of course, as Apple have ensured all non-Apple products on iOS don't play on an even playing field.

Google could never integrate with iOS like Siri does so Siri is always more accessible, Chrome on iOS is forced to use WebKit and the non accelerated javascript engine, so Safari is always better.

Android of course doesn't have these imposed limitations. If Apple wanted to make a Siri for Android, they could simply hook onto the search intent and offer the user the option to replace the built in search with Apple's offering. Ditto for maps, ditto for web browsers..

See how evil Apple are? This is not dissimilar to what Microsoft did to Netscape.

2. bigphil9009
      Happy

Re: Siri: What's it like to have competition in your backyard?

It's heading into winter in the promised land right now, you insensitive clod! :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah, more competition ..

.. for US intelligence to get digitally perfect, personally identifiable voice prints of everyone on the planet. And everyone is happy to just collaborate - quality.

Who said that Echelon was out of the game?

1. M Gale

Re: Ah, more competition ..

Don't ever use a telephone.

2. JDX Gold badge

Re: Ah, more competition ..

You probably should stay off the internet if you're that paranoid.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Suricou Raven

Linguistics

Assuming that voice becomes a primary way to interact with mobile technology, and that this lasts for a few decades, could this actually alter pronounciation of some words to better fit the foibles of the technology? Once someone gets used to asking their phone for information on transport disruptions in 'South-Wark,' the new computer-friendly pronounciation may well slip into use in conversation too.

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: Linguistics

Loogabaroougah!

(Loughborough - 'nuff said...)

2. JDX Gold badge

Sci-Fi has been suggesting that for decades, or at least that we'll speak a special dialect when conversing with computers.

3. Rob

Generally my Google Now recognises my normal pronunciation as long as I speak clearly, it does unfortunately stumble and always completely fail when I want to call my wife, it refuses to recognise her name, jealous much (no I don't sleep with my phone).

4. deshepherd

The Google test-to-voice system in navigation app on android regularily gives utterly weird pronunciations. On a recent trip in Bristol to pick up something from a ship I'd never been to before it was managing qiute happily with "Stapleton Road" until we got to Staple Hill - which it transformed into the much more interesting sounding "Stap Le Hill".

Anyway, its probably just American-ised pronunciatiation that produces Glow-sester-shire and War-sester-shire (though quite how they get Jag-war is beyond me!). Remember once being on a tube train in London where someone was trying to persuade a group of Americans that the station they wanted was really called Totnam Court Road and not Tote-en-ham Court Road!

Best American pronunication came when I was at a conference in Glasgow and went out with a group of other attendees for a meal one night and an American who'd been recommended the restaurant told use to drive along the road and turn right at "Soo-see-hal" ... took bit of time to realize he meant Socky-hall (or even Sauciehall) Street

4. Captain Scarlet
    Mushroom

Cards

So basically adverts which try and make more money for Google

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Cards

Yeah who'd have thought Google would be as evil as to try and make money from their software.

2. Tony Paulazzo

Re: Cards

So basically adverts which try and make more money for Google

Nope, just cards with info on, what the weather is like, how long it will take to get home, traffic issues etc - never once had an advert pop up.

Just searched for Google Now (UK) in the itunes store and got no results.

As for which is better, Siri does appointments and understands 'comma', 'full stop', 'new paragraph' better, where GNow seems better at dictation (it'll write comma perfectly, nearly everytime).

1. D@v3

Re: itunes / app store

Its an update for the Google search App, not a new Google Now App.

5. julianh72
    Unhappy

Well - someone had to try, so I asked Siri on my partner's iPad ...

'What do you think about "Google Now" on iOS?'

And Siri's response?

"I don't really have anything to say about Google now. Or ever."

What a sulky cow she is! (It seems she's not taking the news very well!)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like