back to article Cat ladies turned brand-squatters poke fun at religious right

Redditers in Australia – and others – got a giggle out of one of the better bits of brand-squat-spoofing to arise on the Interwebs in recent times. The Australian Christian Lobby, a lobby group with sufficient influence to regularly regale Canberra politicians about the country's inevitable slide towards ungulate matrimony by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge
    Pint

And much hilarity ensued :-)

Well played, folks, well played!

This round's on me ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And much hilarity ensued :-)

You're very easily amused, aren't you?

1. hplasm
        Meh

Re:Re: And much hilarity ensued :-)

You're an Antipodean Christ Botherer , aren't you?

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

I too am easily amused by funny things.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I am amused by funny things. Serious things are, well, too serious...

2. Nigel 11
          Coat

Typo

I too am easily amused by funny things.

Furry things, surely?

1. Naughtyhorse

Re: Typo

Shiny thing!!!

aktualy

kathxbai

to mix metaphors

2. Naughtyhorse

Re: Typo

and dont call me shirley

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

And lo, there was much weeping and gnashing of teeth

The Internet needs more cat memes and less religion.

Yay!

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
      Pint

Re: And lo, there was much weeping and gnashing of teeth

Cat-holics. Brilliant!

2. C 18
      Coat

Re: And lo, there was much weeping and gnashing of teeth

Oh come on, religion is okay for the masses...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Devil

Re: religion is okay for the masses...

The masses are just the ones that shouldn't have masses. It's mass mind control.

<--- I say, eat the apple!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It has cats

What's not to like?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: It has cats

Cats and rainbows... where have I seen that before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4

2. ItsNotMe
      Happy

Re: It has cats

Absolutely...EVERYONE loves a little PUSSY now and again.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sense - this stunt makes none

If the domain was ACL.org.au, then fair play; but the domain is the full name of the organisation, not just the initials. So the whole 'initial confusion' joke doesn't work. This appears to be the work of someone who doesn't really understand the mechanics of humour. A woman, if you will.

That said, I applaud the sentiment. Even if they have got the joke arse about tit.

1. Elmer Phud

Re: Sense - this stunt makes none

" This appears to be the work of someone who doesn't really understand the mechanics of humour."

To simple to appreciate not only the cat but the rainbow bit?

Hmm, I call 'bollocks'

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

I look forwards to.....

Viktor Orlov dressed in a cat suit and informing people not to get the two websites confused.

Paris of course, she has such a nice pussy.

6. MacroRodent
    Thumb Down

Just how many do you need to register?

Sorry for being a bit serious here, but given the number of plausible top-level domains (even without going into country codes), and the the different ways an organization might spell its name (at least an abbreviation and a full name, and what about "catladies" vs "cat-ladies"?), isn't it actually unreasonable to expect all bases to be covered? At least if you are not McDonalds or similar, with a very valuable brand, and lots of cash to burn.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Just how many do you need to register?

One.

Unless you're paranoid, and think that somebody, somewhere, might actually believe that "too.com", "two.org", "to.net", "2.gov" and "10.edu" are the same exact thing.

In my mind, I don't want traffic from id10ts that daft anyway, so who cares?

1. Andy Gates

Which suggests you're not selling. Idiots have money too.

Foo.com, .org, .net and .local.thing is usually enough, IME.

1. jake Silver badge

@Andy Gates (was: Re: Just how many do you need to register?)

I'm the owner/operator of a largish horse ranch. I already get ~175 emails/day from teenage girls who want to work here. Adding in a couple dozen domain names would probably up that by an order of magnitude. The way I have it setup today, I only get email from kids who can read for content. Most (3 nines) go unread. Maybe one out of ten of the rest of 'em gets a reply.

And yes, I sell. Horses to idiots, as often as possible ;-)

2. Naughtyhorse

"I don't want traffic from id10ts that daft anyway, so who cares?"

We are talking about people who think the world is 4000 years old, and moses rode round on a dinosaur, and we are all fucked cos a snake persuaded a nudist to eat an apple ffs

if you eliminate the id10ts then there is little point in having the domain.

2. VeganVegan
      IT Angle

Out of curiosity (I know, it killed the cat), does anyone know why "The Register" is named the way it is?

For example, www.register.co.uk is clearly not www.theregister.co.uk.

I can't imagine that The Register came late to the game when registering domain names, but then, the vulture being a scavenger...

1. VeganVegan

also, what's with the definite article? Did the Reg pull a Gambia gambit (not just any old Gambia, but THE Gambia)?

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

With "Gambia", that's because the country's full name is "Republic of the Gambia", so named because it's a republic that stretches along the banks of the Gambia River.

Tangential anecdote: Back around 1990 I read a student essay written by a young woman from The Gambia, who referred to it as "the sort of country where everyone knows everyone else" (or words to that effect). While TG is the smallest country on the African mainland, and the population was smaller in 1990 than it is now, that seems like a bit of an exaggeration. But with an area of about 0.5 Waleses, it is smaller (and less populous) than Connecticut. So it really needs that definite article.

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

Purrfect

Amazed I came in late and it was not already taken.

8. taxman
    Big Brother

Going Down under

Lucky for them it's not a .uk domain otherwise Nominet would highly likely agree a dispute claim on the grounds of the name being Abusive (the domain name has been used to confuse Internet users) and also that ALC have Rights in respect of the names which are identical or similar to their Domain Name.

Hope those pussies get supported.

9. rjnerd

My person favorite of this genre

Was somewhat the reverse - the official campaign site was Georgewbush.org They didn't grab the .com, so someone else did, and put up the sort of thing that you might expect from some Manhattan leftists with the snark turned up to 12. Some hilarity ensued, but the best part they noticed later. They happened to look n the dead email box, and found all sorts of things that various campaign workers thought they were sending to headquarters. Including what appeared to be a status report on an illegal election tactic known as "Caging", where you try to get the voter registrations of your opponents party invalidated. There were a bunch of "confidential" position papers from Newt Gingrich, etc...

10. LinkOfHyrule
    Happy

I wanna peice of this!

I need to start t-here-gist-ER.co.uk - the website you can rely to get a T-shirt in an emergency! (or at least that's the gist of it!)

11. Senior Ugli
    Angel

The world would be alot more of a peaceful place if it was filled with cat holics rather than catholics

1. Frankee Llonnygog

I'd like to think that ...

... a column of invading tanks would stop for a cute kitten but ...

I can't be arsed to dwell on the miserable truth. I'm going to carry on imaging the kitten turning back armies

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

"The world would be alot more of a peaceful place if it was filled with cat holics..."

But there would be fewer song birds.

1. jake Silver badge

@Brewster's Angle Grinder

"But there would be fewer song birds."

Works for me, if you include the fucking scrub jays ... My ferals are doing their level best, but I suspect we'll have a nest or several anyway ...

2. Elmer Phud
        Pint

"But there would be fewer song birds."

and more 'stink-pods' to clear up.

Mind you, I'm sure I could make money from both a 'cat-apult' (bit of old bike innertube used with small objects to dissuade moggies from laying eggs) and a selection of the 'KatKevlar' range of protective jackets to shield the fur balls from humans lobbing projectiles.

3. Naughtyhorse

"The world would be alot more of a peaceful place if it was filled with cat holics..."

and it would smell of cat piss.

3. Andrew Moore

not really- I'm thinking of investing in a bow in order to keep the furry feckers away from my chickens.

4. sisk

Unfortunately it wouldn't. People fight over religion because it's convenient. If you replaced all the Catholics with cat holics we would have holy wars between short-hair lovers and long-hair lovers, the Russian Blues vs the Siamese, the 'declaw them' camp vs the 'they need to be able to defend themselves' camp...The list goes on and on.

Meanwhile Grumpy Cat and his inner circle (including Basement Kitteh, of course, but not Ceiling Kitteh because all of the 'You can't just kill them' nonsense got annoying) would be watching with a grim...well, not satisfaction. Perhaps a slightly lesser grumpiness....as we killed each other off in the name of cat kind until there were just enough of us left to make an acceptable slave race. Then they could stop pretending to be pets and take their place as our rulers openly.

12. Number6

Deities

It's obviously all part of the master plan. Don't forget (the cats certainly haven't!) that cats were once worshipped as gods by the ancient Egyptians. Anyone know if the new Pope is pro-feline?

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: Deities

Named after St Francis - he loves all the little animals ...

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

It's widely reported online that ancient Egyptians worshipped cabbages. I think their judgment differs from ours. Then again, cabbage also is said to be a powerful aphrodisiac, so maybe they knew what they were doing after all.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

I know I can't resist anyone who's eaten too much cabbage.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ironically, not even when cats were gods were gay men ever considered "married."

1. sisk

Hey AC, leave your politics out of our cat convo! The only politics I want to hear about here is the Basement Kitteh-Grumpy Cat Presidential campaign.

13. xpusostomos

Erk

Unless you are coca-cola, not much point grabbing every possible domain. There are far too many, and ICANN is planning a whole lot more.

14. Tim Bates
    FAIL

Uh...

Pretty lame, Milhouse....

They took a name ACL hadn't bothered to register, presumably because it was too freaking long, and then put something on it that didn't even have the same name but happened to share initials.... Hilarious <rolleyes>

I've got a really good idea for a joke of this scale. I'm going to register "australianlawnpoker.org.au" and make out like my new organization is often being mistaken for Julia Gillard's lot. It will be the most hilarious thing I do in that half hour, that's for sure... Unless I happen to actually crack a joke for some reason that is.

This topic is closed for new posts.