back to article Arthur C. Clarke dead at 90

Arthur C. Clarke has died at the age of 90. The famed writer and visionary died early Wednesday morning at a hospital near his home in Sri Lanka, The Times reports. Most famous for expanding his short story "The Sentinel" into a novel and screenplay that served as the basis for Stanley's Kubrick's 1968 film 2001: A Space …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. adnim

Arthur,

thanks and good bye.

2. Richard Hebert

Farewell to a Dreamer

He has inspired a many to reach for the stars.

He gave us a lot. Time for him to find rest and peace.

He will be missed

Ric

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

RIP

I recieved joy and inspiration from his books, this is a truly sad day for an SF fan - may he rest in peace.

.. I chose an Alien for the obvious reasons :)

4. Neil Greatorex

Im sorry Dave.

I grew up reading his books, he will be sadly missed. RIP.

5. Henry

RIP Arthur

Godspeed Arthur, and thanks for the stories.

H

6. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

You will be missed.

Farewell Arthur. Thank you for making the world a better place.

7. Curtis
    Unhappy

Bereft

With Aurthur's passing, the Holy Trinity of Sci-Fi is no more. So long, good sir. My life, and many others, will be a little dimmer.

8. Justin Clift
    Unhappy

Damn.

Very much Damn. :(

9. John
    Alien

Thank you Arthur

You have inspired me many times over and lead my imagination to places I never thought possible.

10. JK
    Unhappy

RIP :(

RIP, and thanks for all the fish. :(

11. ImaGnuber
    Alien

Arthur C. Clarke dead at 90

I was trying to sort out why that headline hit me as hard as it did and I think it's because knowing that someone like Arthur C. Clarke is around is enough to keep a little spark of hope, of optimism, burning in the back of your mind.

What a loss.

Deepest sympathy to his family and friends.

12. leslie
    Heart

You will be missed by many

And thanks for your works.

13. tim

meh

Your books never did much for me. But you weren't bad as a futurist and inspirer to others.

14. Highlander

Words to live by....

My God, it's full of stars!

15. Nordrick Framelhammer
    Unhappy

And thus an era comes to an end

With the death of Sir Arthur we have lost the last of the writers I, and I suspect many other, consider to be the foundations stones of the modern Science Fiction era.

I found Sir Arthurs stories were easy to read and yet challenging, forcing us to look at our role in the cosmos, especialy in The Rama Cycle. he appealed to a wide range of ages.

R.I.P. Sir Arthur, knowing you bought enjoyment and wonder into the lives on many. Tonight I shall name on of my ships in Eve Online in your honour.

16. Michael J Welker Jr

My we find you...

On Rama.

Thank you for your stories and my dreams.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

another great one

another great one has gone and will be sorely missed as much as his coligues the likes of asimov ,lem,verne, wells and many others...

but we must be thankful for the inspiration and legacies he and others had left behind....

18. Terrence Bayrock
    Heart

RIP

Truly a person who served as an inspiration for all of us.

Arthur, thank-you for your works.

May he rest in peace...

19. George Johnson
    Happy

Not your sci-fi I enjoyed so much...

Mr Clarke my happiest memories were not that it was Dr Who that had me hiding behind the sofa aged 8, but your Mysterious World TV series, it scared me witless and lead me into the fascinating world of the paranormal.

Thanks and RIP.

20. Mark
    Alien

The world is a poorer place for your passing

Thank you for a lifetime of pleasurable, inspirational reading, but most of all for "the City and the Stars".

21. dave hands

My God...

...it's full of worms.

22. tony trolle
    Heart

missed.....

Classic SF writer

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IT Systems Engineer

Clarke helped to push the boundries of those limitations placed on intellect, those limitations of the world of Here and Now in which we are living. To borrow from Wordsworth, the World is Too Much With Us - but thankfully, not with all of us, thanks to people like Clarke. His writings challenge all of us to look beyond what we think we know, to consider what Might Be. I can only hope that Childhood's End has finally arrived for him (whether or not there is More Afterwards), and that we'll see more of his sort of dreaming in the world...before it comes for each of us.

Goodspeed, to Anywhere, Nowhere, and Everywhere else, Arthur, thank you for making my Here and Now all the easier for where Else my thoughts have gone, with your help.

Trevor William Fondren

24. David Witts

Legacy of inspiration

Just to add re. A.C.'s involvement/influence beyond the "obvious" (2001...).

Almost the last link to SF fandom's old guard- attendee at the 1st formal, organised SF convention in the world in 1937, fanzine editor, astronautics fan, &c., and not /just/ communication satellites, but also fully immersive VR (& RPGs), AI & genetic engineering in "The City and the Stars", alone, decades before cyberpunk "invented" the niche.

Thanks and RIP, Arthur & your "Ego" for your vision and service to thinking humanity.

25. Nagy, Balázs András
    Unhappy

RIP

Even the greatest have to leave sometime....

26. Marc Lawrence
    Alien

The Last Rendezvous

Hopefully it will be full of stars, as you pass to the next world - wherever you dreamed that my be. Not many people can live to see their dreams become a reality; and im sure many more of yours will be achieved sometime.

So long.

27. Tony Paulazzo
    Go

Thanks & Goodbye...

City and the stars changed me, Childhood's end gave me hope, your lmitless imagination lives on in the stars - much love; and sadness for no more stories.

With untold respect ~ Tony F Paulazzo.

28. Dave

RIP

Close the pod bay doors, Hal.

29. Dave
    Heart

I Cried.

'nuff said by better wordsmiths. RIP

30. MrT
    Thumb Up

What still lies in store...

'Fountains of Paradise' - I'm looking forward to a ride in the space elevator.

After all, 'as a futurist and inspirer to others', (well put, Tim - though I happened to also enjoy his books) Sir Arthur's visons and ideas easily win over Kevin Warwick's...

31. Tony

Inspiration

Like many other writers, ACC made us think about what the future might hold and how much better it could be.

The world is a little poorer for his passing - but his books will live on, and hopefully encourage others to aim for the stars.

Thank you Sir Arthur. RIP

32. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

The Nine Billion Names of God

".. and the stars went out. One by one."

And you Arthur.

33. Mr Larrington
    Unhappy

So long Arthur

I really though you'd live for ever

34. Bytus

What a man...

...what a visionary, what books, what a loss.

R.I.P Arthur and thanks for the hours and hours of fascinating and inspiring joy.

Chris

35. Fred
    Thumb Up

No title required thanks....

Hats off to you sir!!!

RIP.

... Should have the headline spot on El Reg for a week or more.. /hint /hint /hint

36. dervheid

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Thanks for showing us the magic, Arthur.

37. Alex Cooper
    Heart

RIP

Hearing this news really came as a shock, he has always been around and been such a great contributer to science fiction and making people think. Sad to see he has passed away. Best wishes to his family and my thoughts are with them. Arthur, thanks for everything!

38. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Who will now...

predict the next generation of travel? Who will predict our next power sources?

He got so many things right, maybe he was indeed an Alien.

RIP ACC

39. Barnaby Hart
    Unhappy

RIP

I saw a photo of him wearing a T shirt recently. It said:

"I invented the communications satellite and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."

40. AH

RIP

"And in the night sky above the stars began to go out."

Will be missed.

41. the Accountant
    Thumb Up

His biggest legacy may be still to come

Father of the geo-stat satellite, grandfather of the space elevator?

RIP Arthur.

42. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

What I have always loved about Arthur C. Clarke

is that whilst hoping for signals from ET, he kept his feet so solidly on the ground. An open mind, but his brain never fell out.

43. David S

For me...

...it was The Fountains of Paradise.

Truly sad. You'll be missed.

44. Neil

Sad start to the day

The Rama series of books are literally the best books I ever read. I've read the set several times now and each time it doesn't fail to astonish.

45. jai
    Alien

rip

a sad loss indeed

i never read as many of his books as i wanted to - but those i did were great

hopefully something good might come of this - it might prompt someone to finally get around to working out how to build a space elevator in his memory - i'd love to see one of those in action

46. Wayland Sothcott

I will miss the great man

I loved Rendezvous with Rama and Childhoods End really affected me when I read it at age 13.

I also read a quote from him that in future there would be less violence in the world due to better communications of live video by war reporters. Shame about that one, right on one of the two points.

I will miss not having him alive in the world.

47. Slaine
    Alien

Time to forget Arthur C Clarke

...I'm sorry [Dave], I can't do that.

48. Aditya Krishnan

Thank you and Godspeed

I can't begin to express how Rendezvous with Rama influenced and inspired me. It made me think beyond what I knew to what might be. It played a major part in making me who I am today. Thank you for sharing your visions with all of us.

Godspeed, and may there be stars.

49. simon

so long....

What a great man, and a great mind... and to cap it all, there were 42 comments when I read this piece...

RIP

50. Alan Potter
    Pirate

Will he meet the beings...

...that existed at the end of 2001? I could never quite get that bit.

RIP anyway

51. Chris Williams

Hats off, sad day.

Rest In Peace.

52. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

My God, it's full of stars ...

I can honestly say that I was never a big fan of his books (Rendezvous with Rama being the exception) but Arthur C. Clarke was possibly one of the last true visionaries and he will be missed.

RIP.

53. Simon

A true visionary

who'll live on through his work (especially if more of it gets built).

A sad day indeed.

54. pAnoNymous
    Unhappy

Inspirational Visionary

A true genius of his time that produced works to inspire many generations.

Visionary science fiction (with real in depth science), amazingly drawn landscapes, complex characters and a multi faceted look at the human soul and meaning of existence.

Will truly be missed.

RIP ACC

55. Arnold Layne
    Unhappy

RIP

A truly sad day and a great loss to not just science and fiction but the world.

"I was trying to sort out why that headline hit me as hard as it did and I think it's because knowing that someone like Arthur C. Clarke is around is enough to keep a little spark of hope, of optimism, burning in the back of your mind." Oh yes.

56. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's puzzling...

..I've never seen anyone quite like him before...

57. Michael Segall

Of time and Stars

This is the book that got me reading and into 'real' Science Fiction at the age of 7. It included the Sentinal and other short stories including the Nine Billion Names of God. Will miss his writing.

RIP

58. David Adams
    Unhappy

Truly...

...another Embuggerence!!

Arthur and Gary in the same month? This sucks!!

There are getting fewer and fewer true genius' out there.

59. Glynn Williams
    Alien

HAL says

I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it I can sing it for you.

Yes, I'd like to hear it, HAL. Sing it for me.

It's called "Daisy." Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you. It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage. But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two.

Thanks Arthur... And Goodnight Dave...

60. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Sigh...

I had a crappy day at work & now I hear one of my favorite authors has passed away. All around bad day. A new offering from Clarke was something to look forward to every few years. <sigh> no more.

Another gentle visionary leaves this increasingly cruel world. I think I'll re-read The City and the Stars tonight... which I think was the first book that actually gave me goosebumps when I first read it.

Goodbye Arthur, you will be sorely missed.

61. Dennis
    Happy

Strange reactions

is it me - the guy died at 90 after a great innings - should we not celebrate his life rather then mourn his passing.

ps please ban RIP - am I the only one that associates the phrase with chavs these days..

62. Brian

RIP

RIP Mr Clarke.

You will live on in your works and our memories.

You've inspired many a generation and have actually guided our future.

Hats of to you sir, you truly have touched the hearts and minds of the world!

63. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Salute to the Greats

It is the deepest of sorrow that i write, as the last lights fade from the sky and all we are left with is mediocrity.

Good bye my friend, and may the peace that you dreamed of find us sooner rather than later

Tribute to the generation of writers that made all we know today possible by giving us the dreams that we make happen,

RIP Arthur

64. Stuart Halliday
    Alien

Childhoods End

He'll be sadly missed by all true Sci-Fi fans as the last of the old brigade.

I wonder how long it will take his Estate to reverse his long standing objection to getting his greatest work - 'Childhoods End' made into a film.

If you've never read this story. Consider reading it. :-)

65. Peter Fielden-Weston
    Unhappy

Goodbye Arthur

The world was a little better with you in it. It is a little diminished with you gone.

RIP

66. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

There will come soft rains

I imagine Ray Bradbury must be feeling a bit nervous; him and Harry Harrison must be all that is left of the old, old guard.

67. Graham Bartlett

RwR good?! Beg to differ

Thanks to ACC for the visions of the future. As a futurologist, full marks.

Shame he had to present them in such badly-written books though. As a novelist, sadly limited in abilities. (Anyone else read "Rendezvous with Rama" and wonder how exploring an alien spaceship could be made so tedious?)

68. Daniel Silver badge

Last space journey; a fitting tribute

RIP sir, you will be missed. An inspiration to myself and, judging by these comments, to many others.

As a final tribute we should send his ashes into space, maybe onboard a communications satellite. The great Arthur C. Clarke, circling the Earth forever in a Clarke Orbit. What could be more fitting?

69. BK
    Unhappy

RE: Of time and Stars

I still have my copy of Of Time And Stars from 1974..

Started me thinking and heading down the technology path, way back then.

Arthur C. Clarke you'll be sadly missed.

70. James Pickett
    Alien

Hard to know..

..what to say.

The news is hardly a surprise, but still a shock. Difficult to believe that 2001 (the film) is now 40 years old - the only giveaway being the few Nixie-tube digital displays, LED's not having been invented! That and Pan-Am, of course...

You say "he's often credited with inventing the concept of satellite communications" which seems a bit mealy-mouthed. There isn't anyone else claiming it, is there? And yes, I have read the original Wireless World article - it was in my college library!

Actually, I've just thought what to say: 'The only futurologist worthy of the title.'

(Alien because of Childhood's End. If you haven't, read it.)

71. Danny

Farewell

Farewell Arthur C.,

You've been an inspiration. Now you'll know if it's full of stars.

72. Brian
    Unhappy

Farewell to a visionary

The first of his books that I read was 2001. It was tedious near the beginning but picked up later and is still one of my favorites. I wished for a 2001 theater re-release back in 2001, it would have been nice to see it on the big screen for once.

One of the ideas from the book that I found most interesting is using magnetic levitation to accelerate space planes, reducing the fuel requirements. The first time I read of NASA research into this, I remembered 2001.

Thank You for your ideas and books Mr. Clark, you will be missed.

73. HFoster

His legend will live on beyond the rest of us

A toast to Sir Arthur, the man who made the future a less scary place.

74. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mr. Clarke...

You might be gone, but you will never be forgotten.

You are pure, undiluted inspiration, and long my you be so to me and everyone else in the universe.

75. Matthew Glubb

City and the Stars

@all of you who mentioned the City and the Stars, 'nuff 'spect.

It's rarely mentioned. I think it's probably the best sci-fi I have ever read.

76. Trevor
    Boffin

The Real Arthur

If anyone wants to know what Arthur C. Clarke got up to in the Second World War, check out "Glide Path". It's meant to be a largely auto biographical piece of fiction. A good read, especially if you're into stuff like the story of radar and the secret (technological) war 1939 - 1945.

No HALs though.

The hazard bloke with the specs, 'cos I once saw a pic of ACC circa 1945 and he looked a bit like that!

77. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects
    Flame

The Clarke Orbit. The death on monkeys.

If there is one thing the internet has shown is that a bunch of half temperate monkeys plonking on a myriad keyboards couldn't even come up with the conclusion that the The Clarke Orbit. is an obvious state that applies for any given planet or satellite according to its escape velocity.

That had to be postulated by a genius.

A very boring fatuous one.

78. Tkirk

So long, Arthur

I know you didn't want us to mourn your passing, but celebrate your life, but I think you will forgive me if I think the world is a little less bright for you not being in it.

Thank-you for everything you left us, at least your words can still inspire us even if they will no longer be added to.

79. Paul Jacques
    Unhappy

Almost the end of an era

Sad to hear this news, he will be missed.

At least Jack Vance is still with us.

80. Malcolm McLachlan

Thank you, Sir Arthur

For opening my eyes and my mind

81. GrahamT
    Alien

Childhood's End

Rest in Peace Arthur C. Clarke.

After Verne, it was A.C. Clarke that led me to my lifetime love of science fiction. He was one of those people that had been around for ever (born the same year as my dad) and would be around for ever - I thought.

He was a Humanist, so all the religious stuff is out of place, but may his end have been peaceful and painless.

His geostationary telecomms satellites and "Islands in the Sky" came to pass, (though not as portrayed in 2001) so let's look forward to the space elevetor.

Some cracking comments above - I'm sure he would be pleased that he still engenders so much affection.

Sad Alien, because the whole Universe is a sadder place without him.

82. Lee Staniforth

Au Revoir

I don't feel I know you well enough to call you Arthur, so will use Mr Clarke instead.

Very shocked to hear this news, but you've had a good innings, as my parents would say.

Really loved your Foundation Series, Stanger in a Stange Land, Dirk Gently and, of course, your Discworld series...

Our thought will be with your forever (and of course I'm joking about the list of books above - after all, if one cannot laugh at death, what can one do?)

83. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Minehead mourns the loss of one of its famous sons

What I always likes about his writing was that it was science fiction grounded in science fact. Unlike many other authors, all of his innovations seemed to be possible given one or two advances.

Who will provide the realistic grand visions now.

84. John Talbot
    Alien

Godspeed, Arthur!

I too grew up reading his works, and the world is a better (and battier) place because of him. He, and the rest of the Great Three will be sorely missed.

I know you were atheist, Arthur, but I hope you're pleasantly surprised beyond the Rim... Peace!

85. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

R.I.P., Sir

You will be missed. Such an imagination and such a soul are rare. Godspeed on your next journey.

86. Paul

Not a good couple of months for geekdom

First Terry Pratchett's early-onset Alzheimers, then Gary Gygax, Joseph Weizenbaum, and now Arthur C Clarke.

Mind you, 90 years isn't a bad old run, more so when you consider what an impact his writings had on so many people. A life to be celebrated, indeed!

87. Graham Dresch

A proposition

That Arianespace rename their launch site in Kourou.

" the Arthur C. Clarke Spaceflight Centre "

Many geosynchronous communication sateleites have been launched from this facility

88. Paul Young
    Unhappy

Gone to a better place

RIP Mr Clarke

89. Steve Mann
    Unhappy

He Blinded Me With Science

When I was told by my professor of inorganic chemistry that using stereoisomers we could, for example, make indigestible sugar for dieters (this was 1974 and such stuff was still years away from the supermarket shelves) it was not news. I'd already got the primer on the importance of stereoisomerism in the human body years before from a short story by Arthur C Clarke in which the food was normal but the human being had become mirror-imaged.

It was a killer story.

You can read it for yourself. It's in The Collected Stories Of Arthur C Clarke.

ISBN 0312878605.

Damn.

90. brian
    Alien

Remember "Clarke's Corollory"

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced"

That should keep us all busy......

91. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hal = ibm-1

I for one am choosing to rejoyce the life of Mr. Clarke! Through his genius, he captured my imagination, focused my interests in sciences and computers and taught me pretty much anything is possible, if one sets their mind to it.

At the risk of sounding serious, Mr. Clarke: may the force be with you, I hope you prospered while you lived a long life and even though HAL was a savage little toaster, I found your stories and imagination so very fufilling!

Thank you for making the world (and beyond) just a little more interesting.

92. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Minor historical revisionism

Um, just a nit, and not being well-versed in things Imperial, but in 1936, wouldn't it have been "_His_ Majesty's Exchequer and Audit Department"?

93. Bob Starkey

A Sad Day for Me

I just re-read a copy of "City and the Stars" printed in 1956. My father's telling of Arthur Clarke's incredible works had me checking his books out of the local library before the librarians had a way to give give such a young tot a card. Now they are both gone and the Earth is a poorer place.

Arthur, you will be missed.

94. john trotter
    Unhappy

Reincarnate - Soon

Asimov, RAH and now Clarke - so many of my books will not have new Kindered.

I passed many days reading - I guess I'll start over on his books.

what a bummer

95. Simon
    Heart

Farewell my favourite author

I have been rereading a lot of his books recently (Currently working through the Rama series)

When i heard today i did get rather upset. Im working at CERN at the moment on the ATLAS LHC project and was putting some screws in today on an electronics rack, call my silly but I caught myself as I was putting each screw in dedicating each one to his memory.

Arthur you will be really missed, good bye and I hope the place you have gone to is "Full of stars"

96. Ishkandar

Straddling the worlds of IT and SF....

...I am gladdened to see that I am not alone.

97. J
    Alien

Only way...

Only way to be immortal: through works and ideas. Sir Clark had enough of both, he didn't die as we mere mortals do.

I for one am happy. Who could imagine such great humans were possible? Gives me hope... As a fellow atheist, I'm very happy to see he made so much of the only life we've got. I hope more people follow that example and make this life better.

Celebrate his long, productive life, enjoy his work (if you like it), use his ideas.

J

98. gez

The glass, broken...fades away

...But the contents still remain.

Hope that the next "Expedition to Earth"

Won't feature "A Walt Disney Production"

99. Gleb
    Dead Vulture

Spooky

Recently it was published somewhere on el Reg, that Terry Pratchett was diagnosed with Alzheimher's. I read most of the comments on that post, and I distinctively remember one first saying that maybe Arthur C Clarke is next, and then swearing profusely trying to remove the jinx - Something along the lines of whom am I kidding, he'll live forever.

I bet the author of that comment feels a bit silly now. And on the other hand, let's mourne a great innovator, writer and well-to-do chap.

100. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@Graham Bartlett

"RwR good?! Beg to differ"

You are entitled to your opinion - as were the judges who awarded "Rendezvous with Rama" the Hugo and Nebula awards - though it leads me to wonder why I've never read any of your own (presumably) better-written and entertaining books? I'll keep an eye on the bargain bin for them.

For me, RwR is my favourite book; I give thanks for both the entertainment ACC gave me for many years and for his legacies in other fields.

101. Samson David

... and understanding is everything.

Farewell. You will be missed.

102. Reid Malenfant

The King is dead, long live the King

90 is not bad, not bad at all. Personally, I'm shooting for 120 but, in truth, I'd probably settle for 90 .... at a push. So why did this news make me a little sad?

For several decades now I've been both fascinated and inspired by his books; and, to my great delight, it was through ACC work that I discovered Stephen Baxter whom I now find just as stimulating.

They did in fact collaborate on a novel or two and, in my humble estimation, Stephen Baxter is a very worthy successor to the crown. Check him out if you enjoy that sort of thing; its nothing if not expansive.

103. SpeakerToAliens
    Heart

A big roomy mind at play.

Thank you for the mind expanding wonder you filled my teenage years with Sir Arthur.

When I heard the news I thought of this passage from the end of "The City and the Stars". I waited until I got home to copy it from the book. I wanted to be sure I got it right.

"In this universe the night was falling; the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered; and along the path he once had followed, Man would one day go again.

The End"

Sleep well Sir Arthur. You will be missed.

104. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Goodbye and thanks

Your books made many a penniless, evening pass enjoyably.

Rick

105. Daniel B.

My god, its full of ...

So me and my dad will be in mourning, as we read three of the four "2001" books (3001 came out sometime around 1997.)

One of the most visionary writers in the Sci-Fi genre, you will be missed.

I suppose Arthur C. Clarke is now reunited with HAL and David Bowman ....

106. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

another one gone, but what a legacy he leaves us

It's years since I read any of his books, but it's time to have another look.

This month has seen many deaths, some already mentioned here, one not yet mentioned in this topic is the death of British radio astronomy.

ps

how come Cade Metz manages a dozen pages a week on pointless wikifiddling but barely a dozen paragraphs on the legacy which ACC leaves behind?

107. John Ferris

My First Sci-Fi Author

I first found ACC's books in the school library all those years ago, my first taste of proper science fiction. They made me think, for the first time, about what I was reading.

I enjoyed them and they started me off on reading Sci-Fi.

Arthur C. Clarke. An author who had a small but positive influence on my life.

108. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

The Star

Says it all really.

Say Hi to Bob H and Ike A Sir Arthur.

The world is a lesser place without him.

109. HFoster
    Thumb Up

Re: Graham Dresch

"That Arianespace rename their launch site in Kourou.

" the Arthur C. Clarke Spaceflight Centre "

Many geosynchronous communication sateleites have been launched from this facility"

Motion hereby seconded (spelling mistakes are Dresch's, not mine).

110. Rhiakath Flanders
    Alien

Thanks, Arthur

From memory:

"Dr. Chandra... Will I dream??"

"I don't know, HAL"

You have mankind's gratitude for all the dreams, hope and peace you've brought us with your novels. Thanks for giving us your visions....

Whenever , in the future, something like HAL exists, i think everyone will think of you.

Say hi to Dave Bowman and HAL, for me....

111. Chris Davies
    Coat

Grow up

Everybody dies, including rubbish sci-fi writters. Get lives, get jobs and get laid.

By Arthur, pitty you can't write a book on where your now... pretty darn toasty in hell huh?

Mines the one with the wings.

112. Snarzy McSnigglePott

Secretly a Raman

I don't know why everyone is saying he will be missed. After all, "the Ramans do everything in threes".

113. Colin
    Heart

Fountains of Paradise

My favorite author, a humanitarian and a visionary. Farewell Arthur, and thank you. When will be build the Clarke orbital tower in Sri Lanka ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like