back to article Google report shows record rise in government takedown requests

Google's latest transparency report has shown requests for content removal by governments around the world rose 26 per cent in the last six months of 2012, with complaints about defamation being by far the most common reason. "As we've gathered and released more data over time, it's become increasingly clear that the scope of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TheWeddingPhotographer

It is all about convergence

Across the world, humans that live in very disparate cultures and under very different regimes find the internet to be a very good leveller - in terms of trade, humanity, access to information and reason. Meanwhile insecure authoritarian type regimes and governments (some of which are in the west) try their hardest to maintain what is increasingly becoming a fragile position

This is why the internet is such a good thing for humanity. Eventually, no mater who you are or where you are, you will be able to communicate and see how the rest of the world lives, and have some hope, that the local despot's power is eroded

In the end, the people just wont put up with it

1. Spanners Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: It is all about convergence

In the end, the people just wont put up with it

I'd really like to believe that, but even optimism as extreme as mine finds it hard on that.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It is all about convergence

I'll correct

This is why the internet is such a bad thing for humanity. Eventually, no mater who you are or where you are, you will be able to communicate, ultimately all sinking to the lowest common denominator, where racism rules, women get laughed at when their tops are pulled down in public and where it's normal practice to has sex with a donkey.

Still can always rely on the next dance craze on you tube to lift our spirits for a few weeks.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

nice to see some truth being news and not the lies running in global media today. much love to all

3. JaitcH
    FAIL

Ignoring these requests works much of the time ...

my employer has found. Love those lawyers letters!

We have several server clusters in different countries with all of our 'dubious' content, including forums hosted on our own server in a country that could give a fig about ruffled feathers/hard feelings. It's amazing how many of these complainants don't read URL's. We have several travel related web sites and many of the complaints come from the on-line bookers and airlines, all involved in price fixing.

In authoritarian countries it is good practice to criticise a ministry or organisation rather than the minister or the CEO, as let's them blame others whilst not interfering with the message's intent.

A new ruse used by lawyers is to claim copyright on their letters - so we changed our TOSs to reflect any letters claiming copyright to the letter itself will be ignored.

Good to see that Google isn't bending over for these vacuous personalities.

1. Don Jefe
      Meh

Re: Ignoring these requests works much of the time ...

I hadn't heard that lawyers were claiming copyright on their letters... We get 8-10 cease and desist letters per year and I've never really cared to post one online. I send them a signed copy of our standard FU form and I've never had any of them actually sue us. That being said though, if one of those chucklefucks sent us a copyrighted demand letter I swear I'd send out a copy as a press release.

I'm pretty sure they can't claim copyright protection anyway as they send you the letter unrequested.

1. Jon Gibbins
        Happy

Re: Ignoring these requests works much of the time ...

+1 for telling the law-thugs where to go and also for introducing me to the best new word I have learnt all year!

4. Originone
    Thumb Up

A rose, by any other name....

'Chucklefucks', what a delightful turn of phrase! May I use it?

5. Daniel B.
    Black Helicopters

Surprised Mexico isn't in the top list

There have been videos critical to the current government that have mysteriously been taken down. Could be government masquerading takedowns as copyright infringement as well; few Mexicans know how DMCA works and probably don't know they can file a counter-claim.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like