back to article Got a Windows XP end-of-life plan? Neither does anyone else

Applications are the glue that connects people with IT, that much is obvious, and in turn software has a powerful influence on business performance. Yet, to our surprise, a survey of UK enterprises revealed blind spots in the deployment of applications. We talked to 200 UK CIOs and IT leaders, and discovered that these blind …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Company Plan

1. Stick the 50% of the Company's computer users who weren't doing anything but checking their stocks and buying personal stuff from Amazon and Ebay onto Linux Mint. They won't even notice the difference (except their machines will run a helluva lot faster and be a helluva lot more secure).

2. The other 50% get Win8 with Classic Shell. Make it log directly in to the desktop, and hide all the full-screen apps from them. They'll hardly notice the difference, except all the rounded corners are now squared off, and they get prettier wallpaper choices. And their machines will run a helluva lot faster and be a helluva lot more secure.

3. Problem solved.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Company Plan

Like the great crash of 1929 there will one day be a great explosion/implosion in IT. From the ashes there will emerge a new and more streamlined IT entity.

At the moment they keep piling bricks on what is becoming a very insecure foundation, this will become too heavy and topple into an abyss. Remove the rubble and start again.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'helluva' lotta rubbish!

Assumption is the mother of all f*uck-ups @Andy Prough...

How much do you know about OS software under the hood? There are legacy apps tied to legacy hardware such as medical devices at hospitals and engineering equipment at engineering firms, that simply will not work in Win7 or 8 without modification. Your 3 point plan is like government sponsored oversimplification!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: 'helluva' lotta rubbish!

"medical devices at hospitals and engineering equipment at engineering firms, "

Special purpose devices (rather than generic desktop PCs) such as these, and others, might be prime candidates for running Windows XP Embedded, which doesn't go EOL until 2016 [1].

Meanwhile, the device supplier can be (should have been?) working on becoming Windows-independent by replacing the software in existing devices where there is sufficient value in doing that, or replacing the device if a software update is a problem technically or commercially. After all, if it already runs Windows, how difficult can it be to run some other OS instead?

Personally I haven't seen electronics test equipment such as a logic analyser or similar mid/high-end equipment running Windows for a very veryy long time. Maybe I'm not looking properly? There was a period when they were around, and obviously I still see software-controlled kit, but now there is no visible OS, certainly no visible Windows.

[1] http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/?alpha=Windows+XP

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Meanwhile, the device supplier can be (should have been?) working on becoming Windows-independent "

While I agree with the 'Should', the real world can be quite messy. I was taking two examples from the past 3 years. First, two intertwined Vehicle parts companies that have 5-20 staff each. Second, three Irish regional hospitals that are using legacy medical diagnostic equipment. In both cases the original developer / installer had long gone out of business. XP is so dated now, other similar cases are likely.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Your examples of legacy apps apply to perhaps 2% tops of business use, true there are these awkward cases but no need to let the tail wag the dog.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Your examples of legacy apps apply to perhaps 2% tops of business use, true there are these awkward cases but no need to let the tail wag the dog."...

About 10% of family and friends I know have a legacy scanner that won't work on Win 7. Around another 10% have a legacy camera or webcam that also won't work. No earth shattering issue for sure, but these users are blissfully unaware of any problems, and it will be a pain for them because they are entrenched in their locked-to-the-device editing suites... Not to mention money is tight...

1. mmeier

How old are those units? And does the driver say "I will not work" or "I am not supported"? IIRC some HP Scanners said "not supported" but after clicking "do it anyway" worked nicely under Win7.

Sure, money is tight and dropping "still working" hardware is something many (me included) do not like. But after 5-10 years a new device might be ok.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"Does the driver say 'I will not work' or 'I am not supported"

......I was referring to legacy Genius colorpage scanners. Several were bought at the same time by my wife's family looking for cheap scanners etc. It just wasn't possible to revive them under Win7.

"But after 5-10 years a new device might be ok."

......For tech folk, no prob, its our life, always changing. But for others, relearning is a largely unaccounted for PITA! For my circle, its the busy mums and busy dads without tech day jobs. They loath starting over, entrenched in what they've always been used to... Put it this way, taking up dieting would be easier!

1. Cpt Blue Bear
                Facepalm

Genius colorpage!? In normal operation, they were lucky to make it out of warranty before failing. If any of those are still working then they aren't being used so the owner won't notice that it isn't plugged in.

2. h3

Depends what the device is

My grandfather a Nikon SCSI film scanner (Really good with Vuescan really expensive originally not getting replaced) that to work with a 64 bit modern Windows would need a new card. Half reasonable ones exist but there is a lot of annoyances. (The only cheap suitable Adaptec one is a PCI-X card (That works in just PCI but it is obviously the PCI-X size).

For what he needs an AMD APU and a decent amount of RAM and a 256GB SSD would be fine.

Making the case big enough to take the Adaptec card (And hoping it works on the boards).

I dunno about USB->SCSI or Firewire->SCSI

It will be sorted out before the XP EOL (Probably by me). But I can see why people wouldn't bother.

2. Anonymous Coward
            FAIL

>"About 10% of family and friends I know have a legacy scanner that won't work on Win 7. Around another 10% have a legacy camera or webcam that also won't work."

WTF does that have to do with all the "advanced engineering and medical device" hardware/software incompatibility problems you laid out earlier?

Idiot. And more than half of that shit works on Linux by now anyway.

Complete Fail.

3. h3

The stuff you need (As in try all other reasonable options first) to then you move to either XP Embedded / XP x64 (Or Server 2003 if you have licenses lying around).

All those are still supported for the foreseeable future.

That sort of hardware (Medical / Engineering) should have been running embedded versions from the start anyway.

https://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/evaluate/windows-embedded-roadmap.aspx

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

My plan?

To shout - excellent, I have a proven OS that my users are very familiar with, that runs great on that 5year old HW and which MSFT is going to stop trying to break with updates every week.

So I don't get security updates - most of which fix the security flaws that were introduced by last week's update. Or that new IE feature to allow my phone to share cat photos with my car through facebook (or my cat share car photos - I'm never sure)

So I firewall my XP machines (and funnily enough my vista/7/8 machines)

I have rules to stop people opening attachments (in fact since most of my XP machines are doing real work - they don't even have outlook installed)

And basically breath a big sigh of relief and wonder how long I can put off the Windows9 upgrade

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: My plan?

My main workstation at home is about five years old and as it was upgraded to 4GB not too long after it was purchased, has run Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8 just fine.

A firewall will not help you protect against a vulnerability in a core component which is exposed via internet connecting software to the outside world. Flash, I'm looking at you...

1. robynsveil
        WTF?

But that's *it*, isn't it? Aren't we *assuming* that all legacy machines running XP-specific hardware absolutely HAVE to get online??? Why do we assume that? And why can't a layered solution be applied here? I really think people aren't creative enough.

For example: me. I develop software for Excel 2003 (VBA) which I need to tweak and debug at home. (I know, don't take your work home with you. Whatever.) And at home, I run Linux Mint nadia. Simple solution: VirtualBox. Run Office 2000 in XPPro in VirtualBox... done and dusted. There's a lot more options available today than when these businesses first invested in their OS and hardware.

The big thing lacking isn't options: it's creativity.

1. mmeier

Works for that case. Will not work for other situations i.e where special hardware is used that does not have a Linux driver. I wrote quite a bit of stuff for Interfacing (isolated) PC networks with S5 based networks. The cards would not run under Linux. And when the OS upgrades came, the boxes got upgraded as well since the small IT stuff was not willing nor had the manpower to support more than three OS (SCO Unix, Org/M and a current Windows)

2. BillG
      Thumb Up

The lack of a business case was cited as the key barrier to Windows XP application migration in 79 per cent of these organisations.

Translation: Why should we change if what we are doing works fine?

"lack of a business case" = "No reason to spend a truckload of cash to buy Win7".

I've said it before and I'll say it again: My brother's laptop runs Windows XP SP3. He hasn't used Windows Update in five years. He uses Outpost Firewall and a good antivirus and has never had a problem.

3. El Andy

@Yet Another Anonymous Coward: I assume you aren't old enough to have been around when NT4 went EOL. Many companies tried precisely that strategy, because heck it probably won't matter. And pretty much every one of them ended up spending a lot more trying to bail themselves out of the hole they dug themselves into when things started to go wrong than they ever would had they taken a considered and planned approach.

3. Turtle

"Got a Windows XP end-of-life plan?"

"Got a Windows XP end-of-life plan?"

I don't need one.

I am going to stay with XP until such time as Microsoft puts out a compelling replacement. By "compelling" I mean one that *I* find useful, and ergonomically sensible. And I know that there's a very good chance that that might not happen in my lifetime. But I don't really care: I am intimately familiar with XP, know how to troubleshoot and repair it, have all the tools I need for it, know how to configure it, and, best of all, as the rest of the world moves to Win 8, 11, 19, 47, etc, XP becomes a less and less profitable target for cyber criminals i.e. security increases as market share goes down.

And by the way, because Microsoft is going to stop supporting XP, does that mean that anti-virus companies are going to stop supporting it? Most of the support that I need for XP - and I don't need much - is supplies by vendors other than Microsoft.

And there will always be enough of a user-base that I will be able to find a way to install it on whatever hardware is on the market. So I am not worried about that, either.

1. Chris Miller

Re: "Got a Windows XP end-of-life plan?"

If you're talking about a home PC, that sounds fine (my Win2k box recently quit after >10 years faithful service). But as a corporate strategy, it won't survive any risk assessment.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: "I will be able to find a way to install it on whatever hardware is on the market"

I sincerely hope you do, but I don't think you will.

My original, holographed XP Windows cannot install on today's hardware, it refuses to complete the install process and blue screens every time I try.

If I do want to install on modern hardware, I need an XP SP2 image. That will probably last a few more years, at which point only an XP SP3 image will be able to install on hardware after, say, 2020, for a few more years.

So I'm guessing that, after 2025, you will be forced to install something else whether you like it or not.

Of course, you should probably be able to get XP running in a VM far longer than that - but users don't have to stay in a VM, now do they ?

3. El Andy

@Turtle: "And by the way, because Microsoft is going to stop supporting XP, does that mean that anti-virus companies are going to stop supporting it? Most of the support that I need for XP - and I don't need much - is supplies by vendors other than Microsoft."

Probably. Once a version of Windows goes EOL it's not long before application and tool vendors start to drop support to. Given the size of the XP user base, I'd imagine many (though probably not all) AV vendors will probably keep support around for maybe a year or so past XP EOL, but it certainly won't be forever.

1. mmeier

Depends on where the customer base sits and how much money the AV companies expect to make of it. Same for other software vendors. If most XP systems are "pirat copies" than most software companies will have a "let them rot" strategy

4. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Bring your own app

Managers bypassing the IT department in favour of cheaper (having ignored all externalities) solutions that are directly under their own control? Whatever next? You'll be telling me next that Duran Duran are top of the charts.

1. Mark Honman

Exactly!

in due course there will be frustration at the reliability (or not) of those solutions and training gaps and the fact that different and incompatible solutions are used in various departments. Some bright spark will say "why don't we hire someone to take charge of this chaos". A couple of hiring cycles and a smidgen of empire building later later and the result will be indistinguishable from the much reviled It dept of old.

And some groaning user will exclaim "there must be a way that involves less red tape"...

2. buyone

Re: Bring your own app

BYOA and it is back to 1980, a Visicalc & mainframes re-run.

5. jake Silver badge

I EOLed Redmond with the Y2K-thingie.

As a consultant, I told all of my clients that I was out of the bullshit marketard-driven consumer rat-race after our current contract expired, or 2010 at the latest (if they were willing to pay big bucks per job, sans ongoing contract ... many were willing).

True to my word, I dropped Redmond on the floor, January 1 2010.

Today, over three years on, I do less work, get paid more, and am a lot happier when working.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I EOLed Redmond with the Y2K-thingie.

It sounds like you're saying "my clients now have to pay me more since I forced them off MS OSs." I'm sure that's good for you, but not for your clients.

1. jake Silver badge

@AC12:06 (was: Re: I EOLed Redmond with the Y2K-thingie.)

"It sounds like you're saying "my clients now have to pay me more since I forced them off MS OSs.""

Nope. I never forced anyone to do anything. I told folks (ten years in advance!) that I was not going to support MS products anymore. Current contracts were honored, and I accepted a few one-offs with no long term support contracts , in the interim.

Today, I work on stuff for corporations that run MS stuff, but I don't work on MS products, nor on interfaces/hardware that exist primarily to support MS products. Life's too short. There are plenty of kiddies out there willing to make a little over minimum wage supporting MS products and the headaches that come with that. I'm not one of 'em. Instead, I make my money dealing with situational problems involving mostly sanely developed systems.

" I'm sure that's good for you, but not for your clients."

Quite the opposite, from all accounts. I'm sick of the computer/networking business (only five more years!), and I turn away far more work than I accept ... none of which I actively solicit in the first place :-)

6. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Happy

Business Critical apps

Ah - so that would be cardfile.exe then?

I'd expect that the end-of-life for XP will simply mean that folks will start upgrading to Win7 faster. Win8 would be an option if they can fix it for the business (non-touch) environment.

1. mmeier

Re: Business Critical apps

There is no "fixing" required, all Win7 software runs fine and Olaf Officedrohne can effectively use Win8 after 30min of "electrical enhanced" or 8h of normal training. Same amount of time he needs for a new software of any kind.

"Klick on the shiny green icon Olaf" <Bzzt> "The Green one, Olaf"...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Olaf Officedrohne can effectively use Win8 after 30min of "electrical enhanced" or 8h of normal training. Same amount of time he needs for a new software of any kind."

Careful. The very same logic also applies to effectively using non-MS software after a little bit of training. And that's not what the certified MS dependent ecosystem wants to hear.

1. mmeier

IF the software runs under a proper Unix - why not? Personally I do not care, most of the stuff I have written in the last 15+ years runs fine under Solaris, Windows, MacOS since it it Java based. Some interacts more closely with MS-Products using their file formats but even that might work

OS are a platform, what counts is the software and in a corporate environment the integration and support like SingleSignOn, Printing, Mobile devices etc. I prefer "one OS/UI for all systems" and "supported for the next 10 years" so I typically end up with Windows on client and server but if a customer wants Solairs/HPUX/AIX/OS400 - sure, why not, those work just fine.

2. Kiwi
        Linux

There is no "fixing" required, all Win7 software runs fine and Olaf Officedrohne can effectively use Win8 after 30min of "electrical enhanced" or 8h of normal training. Same amount of time he needs for a new software of any kind.

Switch them to Mint. Required retraining time for 1/4 of your workforce will will be 1-2 minutes tops. The other 3/4 of your workforce? Well, since you're no longer running any of the MS garbage, you'll only need 1/4 of the staff to do 10x time amount of work.

[And let the downvoting begin ! :) ]

But seriously. You think that 8 hours of retraining for a OS "update" is a good thing? That this will somehow sell people on this garbage? What the hell do MS put in their koolaid? I certainly wouldn't drink it. Clearly messes with your head.

1. mmeier

With the type of user we are talking about EVERY change takes 8h of training. Those are not IT persons, those are office drohnes. They do their work by memorizing click pathes not by understanding the way it works. So if one switches OS and takes away Word - 8h for the new OS and 8h for OO.

Those users do not use the OS (nor do they understand the concept) they use programs. As long as those remain the same training is easy. The 8h come because training always takes a day since essentially it is

Assemble the 5-8 person training group (Anything larger does not work)

30min show and tell (At this point IT personal is done and can use the software)

Let them try, hand-coach each one (15-30min/person)

Lunch

Repeat show and tell

Repeat try

The would need that even for a device with a single icon labeled "WORK"

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"EVERY change takes 8h of training."

OK, let's accept that in principle.

So, based on that, what should a sensible organisation do, when their legacy vendor(s) of choice have historically insisted on an upgrade of OS and apps every two or three years (the long lifetime of XP seems to have been an exception to the norm here), regardless of whether the organisation has a commercial justification (ie one that makes sense outside the IT department) for such an upgrade?

It's going to take just as much (or as little) training to make big changes (change vendor) as it does to 'just' update to the newer OS and newer apps from the legacy vendor.

Where does that lead the organisation (and its IT people)?

I think we all know. Some of us are more willing than others to actually admit it.

1. mmeier

A) You can easily skip a version of Windows so the upgrade cycle typically is 6 years. ALL NT-family Windows version have a long support of 8-10 years (see 2000, XP, Vista, 7). Many companies did and will do. Linux LTS is a joke at 5 years and the non-LTS versions are even worse

B) Since the Windows API is rather static and it is the software that requires the training - stick with Windows and keep the training costs low by only re-traing "where to start" and not the rest. The users know where to click in Word - retraining for OO is an extra 8h.

C) IT is more than clients. And even there Windows in an IT environment has benefits (Repositories do not work with company owned software in Linux) and IT has likely the personal

D) Support costs for commercial distributions like RedHat is at least equal to Windows. And no sane IT runs important servers on instable stuff like Debian

1. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

XP?

Only just finishing the migration away from Win2k where I work. Obviously the lack of Microsoft's *wonderful* support has been a major handicap to the business.

We skipped XP completely, I wonder just how much money that saved the organisation?

8. g e
    Holmes

If they're holding off upgrading from XP

Then it's because they didn't/don't want Vista, 7 or 8 either because of the pain of upgrade or because some of their shit would stop working. Which presumably hasn't changed with time.

What's the betting that, faced with a stout upgrade license cost and the fact that the apps will have to be re-written regardless, they look at a Linux distro as their XP upgrade path.

9. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Advice on software from a banker?

'Nuff said really.

Is it just me or does very little of this article make sense? And how much of it is relevant to XP installations?

What are the use cases? ie. a doctor's practice with 4 machines, proprietary software and printers currently running machines bought in 2009. Should migration from XP only be considered necessary for machines with internet access. Will Win 7 or Win 8 run on the hardware? If not, what will new hardware cost? Will the proprietary software run (in an XP VM if necessary)? Are there drivers for the printers and other devices?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Advice on software from a banker?

If the proprietary software doesn't work with 7/8 its been time to review IT in the practice since before 2009. All sensible printers should be fine. New hardware costs less than a days pay for a GP - the main cost is the several days work for migration and training if staff are used to well out of date systems.

1. mmeier

Normally I would agree. But XP used some older drivers that do not migrate to Win7. They where an "backup, replace with XP drivers" system but quite a few manufacturers never did. Same for some software that does not work properly with UAC.

The software and printers may have been bought in 2009 but they may well have been written in the days of NT4SP7 (aka Win2000)

2. El Andy

@Charlie Clark: The questions you raise are the important ones, yet the ones that most people here seem to have completely missed. It's not about "Oh I won't get malware because of X, Y and Z", that's only a minor side-effect of XP's EOL. Continuity of business means you need a plan of how things are going to work if, for example, you end up having to buy new PCs, which you won't be able to get XP on and may never get drivers for either. Likewise if some new piece of software you need comes out that also drops support for XP and suddenly you find yourself stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Failing to have a proper strategy in place to migrate away from XP in business (whether to another version of Windows or something else entirely) is incredibly foolish. Burying your head in the sand and pretending it's all fine usually is.

10. Richard Wharram

Get real commentards

Running on unsupported XP may be a risk an SME can take but not a large corporate.

Running apps in a virtual environment either in Win7/8 or Linux desktops still does not get rid of XP so does not solve the issue.

Those organisations that are still lumbered with IE6-only 'thin-cliient' apps as well as user-generated apps based on Office 2003 and earlier and Access 95 are in for a world of pain either trying to upgrade all of those at once or having to explain why a long-drawn-out, multi-stage programme is required to a very fucked-off business.

(Hi Nic by the way)

11. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    WTF?

"business critical applications at risk today, from those that have operated under the radar of IT"

That sounds like a recipe for disaster to me, whatever OS is used.

Running a business-critical app without proper backups and support . . . no, I can't believe it can be done by any sane organization.

Sorry, does not compute here.

1. El Andy

Re: "those that have operated under the radar of IT"

@Pascal Monett: It's incredibly stupid. Yet the number of businesses out there that function because "Bob in accounting made a really useful spreadsheet" is higher than most IT pros would care to admit. It's frightening how quickly and deeply business processes can become dependent upon such "user created applications." If IT folk aren't even aware of their existence, and often they aren't because users don't want IT "interfering", then these can become a potentially massive liability.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

another Y2K scare or scam

GOOD ON YOU ! !

- I am still waiting for Jesus to knock on the door ..... Jesus Christ

I am so ready for HELL

13. Tim 11
    Thumb Down

Missed the boat

If you're already on Windows 7 you're sitting pretty (relatively speaking) because you've got a nice stable platform with XP mode for some legacy apps, and you can safely ignore the abortion that is Windows 8. If you're planning a migration from XP now, you've got to decide whether to go with the already-superseded 7, the unusable 8, or hold on till the last minute and bank everything on the fact that 9 will be another good'un

14. Miek
    Linux

Got a Windows XP end-of-life plan? Yes, Windows 7 for secretaries and linux mint for my workstation.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My XP EOL plan

Take the remaining two XP systems to the tip. Two years of keeping them 'just in case' is enough.

16. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
    Mushroom

Away from XP, and on the BYOA front

If I own the device and the app, do I not own the data - e.g. the client list I develop while working for you? I think not, but most people will assume they do and the legal costs of sorting that out could be pricey.

1. Don Jefe
      Happy

Re: Away from XP, and on the BYOA front

You'd no more own the product you created with your own tools than a photographer or cabinetmaker owns their output when working for someone. Those problems have been sorted for a while.

17. Tezfair
    Facepalm

Marketing scare mongery

XP is old and W7 could be seen as an improvement however there will be some applications that can't or will never be able to run under x64.

I look after lots of XP desktops running against SBS 2003 box. Am I going to upgrade? no. Why? businesses can't afford to ditch a working machine for a new one

I will accept there is a security risk, but on the basis that all my client use non IE browsers and have industrial strength AV and AS on the servers and on the desktops, their systems will not suddenly all stop working on 2nd April 2014

I have one customer that still uses Server 2000. It amazes me that its not died, but it still works, its not exposed to the internet, so where's the problem?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Marketing scare mongery

Tezfair said: "I have one customer that still uses Server 2000. It amazes me that its not died, but it still works, its not exposed to the internet, so where's the problem?"

Does any of these boxes permit access to removable storage (CD, USB, whatever)?

They do? There's one problem right away then.

But don't let it bother your cozy little non-Inernet-facing world.

2. El Andy

Re: Marketing scare mongery

@Tezfair: "I have one customer that still uses Server 2000. It amazes me that its not died, but it still works, its not exposed to the internet, so where's the problem?"

If you know that it can easily be replaced by a currently supported OS, probably not much. If you have no plan whatsoever, and no real idea of what work will be involved if you had to replace it with something new tomorrow due to a catastrophic failure, then the problem ought to be blindingly obvious.

18. Magnus_Pym

I'm wondering ...

.. if the age of dedicated hardware is going to come back. Either your business application is standards based, browser based and device agnostic or you sell a turn-key device optimized for the application. e.g. a CAD/CAM workstation or photo editing suite or music editing desk with appropriate keyboard, pen, mixers built in.

19. Captain Scarlet
    Facepalm

XP Embedded

I always hate conversations of everyone on Windows 7, yes except for our XP embedded machines.

Opens a can of worms.

20. Roland6 Silver badge

Lots of opportunities for Enterprise IT Architects then!

"poorly designed and integrated applications", "address key pain-points around new and legacy applications", "formal plans for how to address what will quickly become a legacy problem", "lack of business case", "multi-device application environments", "a more holistic approach for application development and maintenance", "adapt business processes to embrace these new mobile and consumer technologies"

All of these and more are things Enterprise IT Architects can address!

So the looming end-of-support for XP may be providing an opportunity to sell enterprise IT architecture in a way that people understand.

21. ecofeco Silver badge
    Meh

I deal with this every day

And it ain't pretty.

The solution? Bite the bullet and pay to have the custom apps updated. Often a business finds some are no longer all that critical. Which makes support's life a lot easier.

22. quarky
    Go

Windows 8

Our users love it, including the new start menu. I guess not being technical, they are were not so easily swayed by bitter techies. Who'd have thought that IT staff would be more resistant to change than the business?

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Windows 8

Hmmm, that's interesting to know.

23. stephajn
    FAIL

"With only 14 months to go"

Did I miss something or is the reporter's math just a little off? Considering that I am posting this on April 25, 2013 and the end of support is April 7, 2014....how exactly is that 14 months? Is 2013 supposed to have an extra two months in it that I don't know about???

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bring your own app (software as service)?

Seriously? There are companies out there who allow intellectual capital to be stored on assets that don't belong to them? I guess my employer is more grown up than I thought.

1. mmeier

Re: Bring your own app (software as service)?

Yes and quite a few. I.e DATEV for online bookkeeping/taxes gets all the bills of most small/medium companies in germany. Since the 1980s. It is considered trustworthy (doing nothing else). And why not? Most smaller companies do not have data important enough that a "cloud provider" would gain enough from selling it to compensate the risks. Example:

A carpenter "around the corner" here is big enough to have two secretaries and a few extra computers as well as a few notebooks for the "Bauleiter" (Master craftsman) on-site. The use Datev for tax and salary like many others and they could easily replace their server with a cloud solution. Actually that might well be faster/more reliable (and no more costly) than the 2Mbit leased line they use now.

25. kb
    Windows

I had all my main customers switched years ago.

After using Win 7 through the beta i told them that unlike Vista it was worth the switch and within 6 months of RTM I had them all switched. A few hiccups with really old software and one scanner that needed replacing but other than that it really wasn't that hard.

Ironically the only one that hasn't completely switched...is me. I've had an old Sempron that I've used as a netbox in the shop for years but because its so old there is no way I'd be able to find drivers for Win 7, so next week I'll have an ULV Athlon X2 for a spare AMD board I've had sitting in the back slapped into a case and Win 7 installed.

Its understandable why XP lasted so long, its low resource, stable, easy to configure, I'd put it on the short list with XP X64 and Win 7 on any "best of" list but lets face it guys...its 13 years old. When XP came out the average PC was a 400-733MHz single core with MAYBE 256Mb of RAM so the fact that it was able to scale up as far as it did is frankly amazing but now you can buy 6 core CPUs for less than $100 and 16Gb of RAM around the same, its time to say goodbye like we did with Win2K and let her go into that good night.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tuesday May 7, Redmond: MS admit they need a Plan B for Windows 8

It's all over the business press already (following an FT interview with MS' Tami Reller) but not yet covered on The Hand that Bites IT.

Of course, she could have "mis-spoken" like that MS bloke who departed recently.

We'll see.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like