back to article Brutally efficient galaxy SPITS OUT STARS at 'maximum rate'

Astroboffins have spotted a brutally efficient galaxy, busily converting almost all available fuel into birthing new stars. Brutally efficient star-making galaxy The "green" galaxy, spotted by NASA's Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE) and Hubble as well as the IRAM Plateau de Bure interferometer in the French Alps, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"green" galaxy

Greenfly.

1. Katie Saucey
      Alien

Re: "green" galaxy

Well at least it's not the Inhibitors. At six billion light-years out, this might (hopefully) give ample prep time.

2. Brad Macpherson
    Headmaster

Makes what?

3. Dr. Mouse

"And the galaxy is so efficient, that the star formation is likely to be all done and dusted in the equivalent of a few moments in a galactic lifetime. In just a few tens of millions of years[A few billion years ago], the gas will be[was] used up and the galaxy will mature[d] into a massive elliptical galaxy."

Since it is 6 billion light years away, this has all finished, shirley?

1. Ragarath

Time Reference

Not if your speaking from the Time reference of Earth.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Time Reference

"Not if your speaking from the Time reference of Earth."

But Dr Mouse was, I thought. Just because what we observe has taken a while to get here, due to the snail like speed of light, it doesn't mean it hasn't happened, we're simply watching one of the oldest news broadcasts in the universe.

If an earthquake happens in China tonight, and I see it on the news tomorrow, the earthquake still happened at the original time in a single instance, n'est pas?

2. Barry Mahon
        Angel

Re: Time Reference

My brain is too tired to work it out, but I think it is all over, we are seeing it as it was, when?? Its some calculation of the speed of light, with lots of 0s.....isn't it?

2. Red Bren
      Windows

Thank you Dr Mouse.

I'm glad someone else noticed the unfairness of comparing this distant galaxy's past wild antics against our own galaxy's sensible and mature behaviour. Who is to say the Mliky Way wasn't a bit of a party animal in it's youth? For all we know, this distant galaxy has done the cosmic equivalant of swapping the motorbike for a people carrier, drinking red wine instead of cheap cider and settling down into a boring middle age.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You know, I love these space articles in the Reg

I just wish I understood them!

5. Filippo Silver badge

If the dot pointed to by the arrow is 30000LY across, then that big blue shiny thing in the top right corner should be bigger than our entire galaxy. What is it?

1. Armando 123

A star in our own galaxy in the foreground.

2. Sorry, "Sorry that handle is already taken" is already taken.
      Thumb Up

I'll let Father Ted explain it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh5kZ4uIUC0

6. hapticz

Only yesterday!

humans are like, ewwwwwww, so retro and ick, such a self inflated bunch of temporary clumps of dust! When the real intelligence gets here, we will be long gone, if intelligence even exists as we 'know' it, you know, us humans being so fkkng smart and all that...... Then again, maybe humans are the only self aware blobs in the whole place, and actually, considering our limited space travel capability, thats about all we are can be dealing with. And so far all we manage to do, is breed like copulating muons, find better ways to murder each other and seek remedies from looking at distant galaxies.

7. The last doughnut

So, has this galaxy got a supermassive black hole at its centre? And does it have a dark-matter halo. We need to know.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It does my head in how far away stuff in the Universe is...

"six billion light-years away" - travelling at the speed of light, it would take 6 BILLION years to get there.

Mind-bogglingly big isn't it!

1. Cipher
      Thumb Up

Re: It does my head in how far away stuff in the Universe is...

Yes, very big place our Universe.

At 6 billion years old (at least) now, many of the original stars have likely left the main sequence. The results of the stellar explosions may have created significant amounts of dust and gas, it may well resemble the Milky Way by now...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Must be a Catholic galaxy....

Must be a Catholic galaxy, pumping out stars as "arrows for Jesus's quiver" (and seeking intergalactic assistance for all the kids, and for the fertility treatments to allow it to be yotta-mom.)

(DAE find that whole "I only value my offspring as weapons to be used and discarded when no longer suitable to purpose" mindset of the thumpers as disconcerting as I do?)

(yes, I know this galaxy isn't going to have anywhere near 10^24 stars, but none of the other SI prefixes sound close enough to "octo".)

10. Francis Boyle Silver badge

To be fair

furious baby-making is mainly a protestant sport these days. The catholics are too busy ignoring the pope.

11. Mips
    Childcatcher

Yeh but!

"In just a few tens of millions of years, the gas will be used up" . I cannot understand why journos don't get that 6bn light years away is 6bn years ago. The words "has been used up" and WFT is going on now come to mind.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like