back to article Review: Corsair Voyager Air 1TB wireless hard drive

Corsair has made a name for itself offering solid-state drives, fast memory and other components to fit inside high-performance PCs. But its latest product takes the supplier out of its comfort zone and into the world of smartphones and tablets. It also carries the company into the network-attached storage arena. It’s a good …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. nigel 15
    Megaphone

Warranty

It's worth mentioning with Corsair products if they fail whilst under manufacturer warranty you will have to post it recorded delivery to holland. which will cost more than the item.

And it will take up to three months to process. so you'll have to buy a new one anyway.

Corsair warranties, in europe at least, are worth nothing.

1. G4Z

Re: Warranty

Could always return it to the supplier and let them deal with it, I thought they were liable in instances like that under UK law?

1. nigel 15

The manufacturer warranty and retailer warranty are different.

The retailer will generally retailer will generally replace something within the first year. but they are unaffected by the terms of the manufacturer warranty which could be 3 or 5 years, that is a separate contract and does not involve the retailer at all.

Like i say if you try to claim under the manufacturer warranty in europe you will have to send it registered to holland. it will cost a fortune and you wont get a replacement for 6 to 12 weeks.

whereas, for example logitech will ask you to email a photo of the old one and courier you out a new one the next day. all companies are not the same.

It's really funny that my comment about corsair warranties is being voted down. seems you get fanbois for everything.

1. pepper

I dont think you are being downvoted for being correct, but for being wrong.

As far as I know the retailer is responsible for as long as the expected product lifetime. So if the product can be expected for 4 years then the retailer will have to deal with the warranty. They may send it back without giving you a replacement, but you can still send it through the retailer.

Also, wouldnt Corsair cover the postage costs? I know other product manufacturers do so, although I never have had to deal with Corsair warranty thus far.

1. nigel 15

Corsair do not cover the postage cost. no.

If you send it back a second time they will cover the cost then. As in they will send you a cheque, (in euros,) after the replacement has been sent out and accepted. Literally 3 months later. you are correct other manufacturers do normally cover the postage, and do not generally require you to post it to holland.

You can try RMA'ing an item that's two years old but you wont get very far. I have done this, with amazon, ebuyer, they just refer you to the manufacturer. My issue is not just the cost, it's that it takes so long that you have to buy a replacement anyway. the corsair warranty is essentially useless.

As for the expected life time of a product. you are correct that the sale of goods act establishes a contract that lasts for 6 years and the retailer has obligations in this time. But without a team of lawyers to argue how long the expected lifetime of a wireless media drive is you are not going to get a retailer to change their policy which is generally that for consumer electronics that they will only act within 12 months and after that refer you to the manufacturer, which certainly if within the warranty period, they regard as meeting their obligations.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"The manufacturer warranty and retailer warranty are different."

Indeed they are.

"The retailer will generally retailer will generally replace something within the first year. but they are unaffected by the terms of the manufacturer warranty which could be 3 or 5 years, that is a separate contract and does not involve the retailer at all."

Indeed. The retailer is liable to provide a repair/replacement/refund for goods that fail to "remain of satisfactory quality" for a "reasonable period of time" (Sales of Goods Act). There is an argument that you could use this to return the failed item to the retailer and get them to bounce it on to the manufacturer, as the warranty period could illustrate the "reasonable period of time". Obviously, this depends on the willingness of the company, and is ultimately conjecture until someone with a curly wig gets involved ...

3. G4Z

i have also had good experiences with logitech in that regard :)

2. MAPINGUARI

Not sure a "fortune" is really accurate when you can send a parcel to Holland with UPS through a well-known reseller for £20 and have enough change for a packet of Monster Munch

1. nigel 15

@MAPINGUARI

Indeed you can.

It depends on the item. For RAM, memory sticks all sorts of things when you keep in mind that you are going to be without the item for 6 to 12 weeks anyway so you might well have to buy a replacement for that time anyway, and that in say 2 years time these things will generally be cheaper and better, that you allow them access to your data, it's rarely cost effective. Before i stopped buying corsair products. and i used to buy a lot of them, i'd buy another and fleabay the warranty replacement.

2. g e
    Facepalm

Wow. £174???

Not as convenient as an all-in-one boxette widget but...

External 1TB USB drive from Ebay - £55

Raspberry Pi - £30

Wifi Dongle - £3.50

Might need a powered USB hub depending on the drive, but then you can just keep adding them at around £55 a pop and almost get 3TB for the same price ;o)

Of course the all-in-one is handy if you're carrying data around to different places but not everyone is, though you'd just take the USB drive with you in that case and leave the pi at home.

Just sayin' ;o)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow. £174???

You seem to have forgotten the battery, power supply and integration of all this into a convenient form factor without all sorts of cables and pcb board lying around

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow. £174???

I also doubt the performance you'd get using a RPi as a NAS host - IIRC the same usb controller is used to drive the ethernet and usb ports.

3. Ian McNee
    Headmaster

NAS?

So how does this device present its storage to a PC connected by LAN or WLAN? If it serves it up as a standard CIFS/SMB file share that would make it essentially cross-platform and much more useful.

We should be told!

1. CorsairBlackbeard
      Pirate

Re: NAS?

Hi. Yes, network access to the drive is via SMB.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lots of talk about the iOS limitations and screenshots of iOS aplenty

However it seems to just work as intended as Android...

5. Tomislav

Can the firmware be updated? Sounds like a solid platform for DD-WRT...

1. CorsairBlackbeard
      Pirate

Yes, the firmware can be updated, and we're actively working on updates.

6. Martin
    Thumb Down

This, and their ilk....

...are great, but currently far too expensive. When Seagate had their previous version on special offer (500G - available from Amazon US for $99) that was a good price - and I grabbed one.

But given that a 1T disk is only about £75, a hundred quid more for the wireless access and battery is too much.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Er..

Can't you get a proper NAS box (say a Synology single drive model), a 1TB hard drive and a cheapo USB wifi adapter for less? OK, it's not portable but realistically how many people need a portable NAS?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Er..

I can see where you're coming from but using Synology is a bad example as they're quite pricey.

I would've thought the kicker would be getting a USB wifi adapter working with the nas box (ironically that'd probably be easier with Synology boxes then with most)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like