back to article First batch of Firefox OS phones sells out in hours

The first batch of phones based on the Mozilla Foundation's open source Firefox OS has sold out, mere hours after they were announced for sale. As we press the big, red Publish button on this story, Geeksphone, the Spanish startup that designed and built the devices, has shut down its online store, replacing it with a notice …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ecofeco Silver badge
    Thumb Up

I'll wait...

For the Ubuntu phone.

But congratulations to FF. I sincerely hope they are a worthy competitor.

1. Graham Triggs

Re: I'll wait...

I downloaded the Ubuntu Touch beta. Imho, it has a UX that makes Windows 8 look like it was designed by a genius.

I'm sure it will be good for some people, but there are far too many (well, actually everything is) hidden behind non-intuitive gestures. And in many cases the gestures are overloaded (depending on where you gesture from). Worse, some parts simply don't work because of positioning (app tray getting in the way).

I've played with the Firefox OS simulator, and whilst it's a less "powerful" OS, it's a hell of a lot more user friendly than Ubuntu Touch. I was sceptical of Firefox OS, but it looks like it will be a perfectly usable OS for the majority of people (most don't need complex apps that can't be made HTML 5).

1. ecofeco Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You mean you actually like Ubuntu? I'm all for Debian, but Ubuntu? Come now, enough of this nonsense.

1. NB
        Joke

Debian? Pah! Real men use Arch ;)

2. hamsterator
        Happy

As a desktop OS, Ubuntu is hard to beat. I don't think I'd want it on a phone, though.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You can install Ubuntu on the Nexus4 now...

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install

I would also like to know how many actual phones were sold, 10? As this stinks of a publicity stunt. Particularly given handsets that can boot FirefoxOS have been available for months...

http://developer.sonymobile.com/2013/02/27/experimental-firefox-os-software-for-xperia-e-available-for-developers-rom/

4. Crazy Kiwis
      Meh

I agree, the Ubuntu phone is looking better the FF phone this in my opinion. The multi-tasking looks much better on Ubuntu than Android with a complete luncher that can be accessed at any time to start programs or to search the phone/Internet sources. It has many innovations that I think are worth the wait. As far as user friendlessness mentioned here already. I'm sure it will take all of 30 seconds to learn that swiping in from each screen edge triggers an clearly understandable action.

2. Trustme

Do we know how many they had for sale? If they only had 10 of each model this wouldn't be such a big story...

3. Markl2011
    Joke

"The two developer devices offered for sale included the Keon, an entry-level model with a low-resolution screen; and the Peak, a version with more generous hardware specs. "

Wow! They sold two devices. Samsung must be shaking in their boots.

4. mIRCat
    Linux

Re: @ mutatedwombat - Raspberry Pi Phone

Don't feed the Eadon, kids.

If FirefoxOS can give me a "cheap" backup smartphone that has a great battery life I'm interested. Otherwise I'll wait and see what what Sailfish has to offer. Of course ideally one of these would reach feature parity with Android, meaning it could replace my primary device.

5. Paul J Turner

I doubt they were all real developers

More likely 'developers' of malware, viruses, root-kits etc, looking to get a head start on selling compromises of the platform over their competition.

6. The Alpha Klutz

my god

im going to spunk

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: my god

@The Alpha Klutz - "im going to spunk"

The small town in Bulgaria? I've been there and I can't recommend it. There's only one restaurant, and the dessert menu is rather limited.

7. RyokuMas
    Thumb Up

Good luck, Firefox

Does anyone know if any of the "big" apps have signed up yet? Or what general public interest is like?

Personally, I'm hoping for "yes" and "good" - although it will mean another platform I'll have to look into porting to!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like