back to article TomTom brandishes new strap-on in Amsterdam: The wristnav

Satnav maker TomTom guided the press - along with automotive and retail partners from all corners of the globe - to Amsterdam on Tuesday for the launch of its next gen satnavs and a new sporty lifestyle product range. The company has form with fitness gear, having teamed up with Nike to deliver its strap-on range of Nike+ GPS …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Justice
    Joke

May I be the first to say...

"At the event it announced two easy-to-use and lightweight (50g) personal training strap-ons."

Ooo-er missus!!!

2. Pen-y-gors

Combine the two?

Satnav for use on a treadmill? At least it's unlikely to direct the user over a cliff or the wrong way down a one-way street.

1. JetSetJim

Re: Combine the two?

Durn, beat me to it. I'm guessing this mode is a calorie counter rather than SatNav, and measure the heart rate, while also possibly attempting to use the pace detector to check distance (which would be redundant unless they're doing some conversion to "road-miles" cos treadmills don't quite replicate the full outdoors experience), though. Although I can quite well imagine it calling out "continue straight" endlessly...

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Combine the two?

My Dad cycled the Tour de France. In his gym... His exercise bike remembered his progress along the route, and gave him a cheery, you have now cycled 5% of the course. Which took several months. Obviously he wasn't doing 100km a day, like they do.

So you could set up treadmill satnav to do the London Marathon course, and it could tell you, you're now turning onto Westminster Bridge, now onto Embankment etc. Could even give you pretty pictures.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
    WTF?

TomTom are first with the smartwatch, not Apple or Microsoft

They need to do something with it unless it'll turn into just another training fad. Maybe you could program a route in the car with the satnav or mobile and have final the walk stored in the watch.

1. Gerard Krupa

Re: TomTom are first with the smartwatch, not Apple or Microsoft

That's first written as third behind Motorola MotoActv and I'm Watch?

4. Gerard Krupa

Traffic Tracking

SatNav software for phones already provides traffic information and alternative routes but they do so very badly, not least because they can often only track traffic congestion on the primary (major) route and lead you into worse traffic through urban areas. Until that is solved, this commuter 'concept' is more of a sales gimmick than a useful tool.

5. Select * From Handle

Dear TomTom

Why have you not moved into creating in car stereo systems yet? A TomTom touch screen radio/satnav with bluetooth/USB phone connectivity is something i would buy without hesitation to replace my crap fiesta radio...

The only radio i have seen that comes close is a parrot one that is in my local halfords... it only had google maps though which i though might suffer loading issues and the screen wasn't that big.

1. MaFt

Re: Dear TomTom

What, you mean like the Sony XNV and the Renault Carminat?

2. Kar98
      Go

Re: Dear TomTom

> A TomTom touch screen radio/satnav with bluetooth/USB phone connectivity

Eh? What's this I've got in my car then?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/11/tomtom_toyota_gps/

6. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

But it's so B I G

The watch looks like a 1970s sci-fi prop, maybe Space 1999.

1. Isendel Steel

Re: But it's so B I G

Or the Liberator teleporter bracelets from Blake's 7

1. Worm

Or the Liberator teleporter bracelets from Blake's 7

no, they were cardboard bracelets that were covered in silver foil with a green rubber stuck to them. If my blue peter "how to" memory serves me correctly.

1. NightFox

Almost, but if my Blue Peter memories are correct then it's actually a section of plastic drinks bottle painted dark brown or black with some silver foil and a pink rubber stuck on.

Down and safe.

7. Elmer Phud

10 hours?

Need better battery life.

10 ours ain't much if you're out in the hills.

8. andy 28

Where's the ANT+ ? All the bike HRM, speed, cadence sensors use it.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hurray for Commuter Mode!

Hope they get their Commuter Mode quick and painless to use and available to buy. For years I've wanted a "sat-nav" that I can just turn on briefly when I leave work, and it'll tell me the traffic conditions on the three routes I would usually take without trying to tell me which way is best - I can work that out for myself if you just tell me about traffic, going in my direction, on the routes I usually take.

Here's hopin'!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hurray for Commuter Mode!

Nokia win phones have the ability to check traffic on your morning commute. You could buy a cheapo model and just use it at the breakfast table?

10. James 63

3D display

That'll be handy when I get my flying car. Until then, I might just consider it a gimmick.

11. xpusostomos

Except...

Good product until next month when Apple takes away their business with an iWatch.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Except...

Given Apple's developer's great work on mapping, one would hope TomTom also write the software for that.

This topic is closed for new posts.