back to article Damn you, world! WHY can't I have an object store on my desktop?

Another year, another conference season sees me stuck on this side of the pond watching the press releases from afar, promising myself that I’ll watch the keynotes online - or "on demand" as people have it these days. I never find the time and have to catch up with the 140 character synopses that regularly appear on Twitter. I …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. sri_malik

otixo + webdav

you can try otixo.

otixo can connect to multiple cloud services in the backend and expose the unified view using webdav.

there is a webdav client on Linux(I think it is written in fuse), which will let you mount webdev shares/locations and provides access using posix calls.

Not sure if webdav client(and the protocol) support NFS/CIFS like granular ops over the wire, but it does expose data through posix apis.

-Sri

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If anyone has a desktop gateway...

You mean like Cyberduck? (See: http://trac.cyberduck.ch/wiki/help/en/howto/s3).

Haven't used it but found it when trying to find a way to map a Liferay/Alfresco webdav connection to a drive letter.

Also there is TntDrive (See:http://tntdrive.com/).

Again haven't used it but it turned up in research.

All the different storage options are great.... until you need to access the data in a program (pretty much all desktop programs) that expects to read from a file system. Sigh.

3. Beachrider

What about Cache from Intersystems?

There is a database that can run on your desktop that is an OODB. Does that help?

1. Tom 79

Re: What about Cache from Intersystems?

Ugh. MUMPS. No thanks, tried it, and it gave me heartburn.

4. Montreux

Dropbox

Of course Dropbox uses S3 as its storage back end and is fully integrated to the file system on the local machine. So lots of us have seen this working.

5. Aitor 1

Object Store

This thing keeps going out of the coffin. Why?

I simply hate it.. when it goes wrong, it really goes bad...

6. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

I use Netdrive to mount my WebDAV items. Works like a bloody charm. Look ma, my Synology is cloud storage now!

Touched.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Second that vote for Netdrive

Forgot to mention that I ended up using Netdrive to access Alfresco/Liferay webdav.

2. pdf

Why don't you just use the built in Windows WebDAV support to map a drive?

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Because the native WebDAV support is ass.

7. pdf

You don't mention what operating system you refer to when you say 'desktop'. So, I'm just going to be facetious and give you a Linux (and possibly OSX) solution:

https://code.google.com/p/s3fs/wiki/FuseOverAmazon

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gladinet.com

Gladinet.com -- Access cloud storage (Skydrive, Google Docs/Drive, Box, Amazon S3, Azure, OpenStack, ...) as a local drive; Automatic backup & two-way sync between local and cloud folders; Share local and cloud folders with others.

Works pretty well from my tests a couple of years ago.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like