back to article LOHAN chap to launch Raspberry Pi eye in the sky

High Altitude Ballooning (HAB) geezer Dave Akerman will tomorrow dispatch a Raspberry Pi camera into the stratosphere, promising live images from altitude as the diminutive snapper drifts from Blighty into European skies. Dave, who's head hydrogen handling honcho for our Low Orbit Helium Assisted Navigator (LOHAN) mission, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. hplasm
    Thumb Up

Pi. High.

Touch the sky!

2. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Alert

Across the English Channel?!

Please remember a flotation device, we all remember what happened to that poor Reg Playmonaut!

1. daveake

Re: Across the English Channel?!

It's a one-way unmanned mission; no Playmonauts will be harmed!

3. Hugh Pumphrey
    Boffin

Channel?

I'd say "North Sea" was more likely than "English channel" A quick look at the forecast charts suggests the balloons will fly somewhere between Stavanger and Schleswig-Holstein, depending on your rise rate.

1. daveake

Re: Channel?

Yes, the flights will head across the North Sea.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No aerial APRS? I did not know that.

I did not know that OfCom didn't allow aerial APRS (my Favorite Cousin Charlie has no problems with it). Anybody know why?

1. daveake

Re: No aerial APRS? I did not know that.

As I understand it (and I'm not a Ham) they don't allow airborne amateur radio transmissions *at all*. Hence our use of unlicensed transmitters with a frequency and power rating that is specifically allowed.

1. Jess--

Re: No aerial APRS? I did not know that.

Hi DaveAke

I can confirm as a ham that airborne operation of any sort is specifically excluded from the UK amateur license

5. hammarbtyp
    Thumb Up

Nice easter egg

Probably being slow here, but nice web page header...

6. Paul 77
    Unhappy

aeronautical mobile operations

Yup,

I think it is silly that we're not allowed to use amateur radio from airborne devices. I have listened to a US Ham transmitting from an aircraft (on 14MHz) returning from a disaster relief operation in Haiti.

I can understand that they may wish to limit the power, and possibly dictate which bands are used (perhaps 430MHz and higher) so as to reduce the possibility of interference on a wide scale, but I cannot seen any reason for the current outright ban.

Paul (another radio amateur).

7. Code Monkey
    Coat

All hail ...

... the Pimonaut

8. ma1010
    Black Helicopters

Sad

It’s sad that they ban ham radio transmissions from the air over there. On this side of the pond, we do amateur radio in the sky a lot, including using balloons to lift antennas and repeaters and normal airborne operations (particularly for emergency services, such as search and rescue). Once I talked on the 2 meter band to a couple of hang gliders over 60 miles away – I’m near sea level, they were up at 7,000 feet (2,134 m)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like