back to article Go-go Gadget watch? Apple posts job ad for 'flexible display' bod

Apple has pulled a job advert looking for a flexible display expert just a week after it was posted. The fruity firm placed an advert on its American site on 1 April which said it had a role as a "senior optical engineer" that needed to be filled. The notoriously secret firm has not revealed why it binned the message, but it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. gribbler

"Apple's cloud expertise is likely to boost the usefulness of any wearable device"

Apple trail a long way behind the other major players in cloud capabilities, as is often mentioned on one of those online news sites I visit frequently. If only I could remember the name, it's called The Till or some sort of synonym of that. I seem to remember it has something to do with buzzards.

Oh, and + some generic rant about Apple and rumours and fanbois and stuff...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Apple's cloud expertise is likely to boost the usefulness of any wearable device"

It's 'TheCheek', so cutting out of edge that it is out of date immediately, and delivered by ninjas.

2. MrXavia
      Thumb Up

Re: "Apple's cloud expertise is likely to boost the usefulness of any wearable device"

I do not like the cloud, cloud sync is something I do NOT want...

Samsung have the right idea, releasing a device you put in your OWN home that you can sync to, its a bit small at 1tb, but still goes the right direction!

THere is seriously a good market for home cloud storage with business grade backup capabilities...

Especially as more and more get fibre to the home.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I get your aversion to the cloud, but just yesterday I got my iPhone replaced due to a faulty button.

In the morning, it had backed up to the cloud while i was asleep.

What small changes i'd made to emails and notes, etc. were copied up to the cloud as i made them.

Then, when i got the new phone, installed the sim, switched it on, first thing it did was download all my settings from the cloud. then things like the wallpaper image i had, so instantly it looked just like my phone.

admittedly, i needed a wifi connection, so i just hung around in the store for 5 minutes, using theirs. and for the few vital apps i knew i'd want to use in the afternoon, i made sure to download them before i left the wifi.

so, yes, while i understand why people don't like the idea of cloud systems, i for one am finding it quite useful

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Rather that drip feed 'iWatch' rumours, lets have a round up of other attempts at a smart-watch, past and present.

We could include the Casio Databank watches, the Swatch pager watch, that Microsoft thing one held in-front of a monitor... current efforts include the Sony watch, Pebble, I'm Watch, and a Casio G-Shock with Bluetooth.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This month's Stuff magazine's done that.

2. Mike Bell
      Thumb Up

That wouldn't be news. Or "biting the hand that feeds IT".

El Reg, keep on plugging away highlighting topical corporate behaviour.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>That wouldn't be news. Or "biting the hand that feeds IT".

Nor are regular Reg sections such as 'Geeks guide', 'Product Roundup' or 'Antique Code Show', so I'm not sure of your point.

3. Simon Rockman

Just what I want

A watch that needs regular charging.

No thanks

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Just what I want

And yet we all have smartphones which need a daily charge rather than weekly as used to be the case (well my Lumia lasts nearly a week but I don't use it heavily).

1. Simon Harris

"A watch that needs regular charging... No thanks"

"And yet we all have smartphones which need a daily charge rather than weekly as used to be the case (well my Lumia lasts nearly a week but I don't use it heavily)."

Adam Orth was almost right ... it's not an 'always-on' world we live in now, but an 'always on charge' world!

2. MrT

They all need power from somewhere...

... regular manual winding, automatic winding, button cell, solar etc. Yes, it's a faff to have to plug something in and wait a while, but so long as that can happen when I sleep then it's not much inconvenience.

The aren't any truly fit'n'forget systems for powering any type of watch, but, in the absence of wrist-mounted atomic batteries, solar comes close. My own watch is a Citizen Eco-Drive Chronograph - the whole face is a solar EV collector. There's a small rechargeable cell inside to cope with darkness, but in 12 years of use it hasn't needed any attention.

Back in the 80's I used to have a Seiko UC-3000 in chrome, which often needed a hefty powercell replacing that was probably the most high-maintenance watch I ever owned, (there was another in the keyboard/dock, which used a wireless induction loop to transmit stuff to the watch). I've still got a Seiko 5 somewhere that is an automatic winder, but not very accurate.

Then again, I've a friend who swears by the Casio F-91W, which can still be bought even after all these years.

There's an interesting collection of older digital watches at http://mysbfiles.stonybrook.edu/~delton/Articles/nerd_watches.htm. No penguins or detached limbs in sight...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Ctizen eco-drive proximity connects to iPhone by bluetooth and never needs recharging (down to the clever ecodrive). So it's possible to overcome the frequent charging issues.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The fruity firm's arch-rival, Samsung, is rumoured to also be developing a smartwatch, which will be at an automatic disadvantage against the iCloud-enabled offering from Apple."

Why? Samsung, with their google tie in, has a much better cloud offering than Apples...

1. VinceH

"Why? Samsung, with their google tie in, has a much better cloud offering than Apples..."

Just because it's Apple, probably - who are probably already setting up a search and replace to go through all their previous patent applications and replace "on a mobile device" with "on a worn device" so that they can apply for them for their iWatch and then try to ban anything Samsung might produce.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Our youth are no longer defined by who they are, but by what they buy.

That, folks, is a sad situation for them and for us!

The tragedy is that they can't see the fact that they are just corporate bitches thanks to being brainwashed by Farcebook.

They become dumber each iteration.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does the date it was placed

not give people a clue?

7. LinkOfHyrule
    FAIL

so 80s

I used to have a watch with a remote control built into it as a kid. It wasn't the 80s but the 90s and it was the iWatch of its day. In other-words if was bloody naff.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like