back to article Mozilla CEO exits just as Firefox mobiles roll out

Mozilla's chief executive is stepping down amid a re-positioning of the managerial brass after barely two years into a mission to take Firefox mobile. Gary Kovacs, appointed Mozilla's third CEO in November 2010, will vacate his position "later this year" with the Firefox shop now beginning a search for a brand-new chief …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone can recommend a better browser?

Firefox is getting worse with every release now. Too many crashes on all kinds of OSes I use (Windows 7, Mint KDE and Ubuntu). I tried Opera but really don't like it. I refuse to use IE and Chrome. Firefox used to be so good.

1. Steve Knox

Re: Anyone can recommend a better browser?

Try http://lynx.browser.org/

2. Gene Cash Silver badge
      Meh

Yeah, but it's a hell of a lot better than anything else I've tried on Android, including Maxthon, Dolphin, Chrome, Opera mini, or the stock browser.

My main desktop problem on Firefox is related to a hang caused by a crappy Java app my company insists on using (mainly because we wrote the POS) and I'm running Debian Testing.

3. Captain DaFt

Have you tried Seamonkey?

I prefer it over Firefox.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I also, prefer Seamonkey, giving email as well as browser. However, I have found it too, has degraded with issues above 2.1 and have had to revert to that version to stop it crashing. It seemed most stable with the 1.x versions.

1. Matt 21

Can't say I've ever had a Firefox crash on either Windows or Linux and I've used it on many different machines over the years. I don't really like Chrome but Opera seems OK. Think I'm going to stick with Firefox for now though.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I have had no such problems with Firefox on Linux. For Youtube I tend to use Chromium for unknown reasons. Opera I have too, like you, I don't like it, while I did like it and would like to like it again. I suppose I lost my love when they forced the adverts in my face. Now, howe come, I cannot find bookmarks, history, where I would expect them to be, and yes, I am one of those who will not "RDFM". Anybody with similar experiences.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

2. JDX Gold badge

Getting out before...

... the embarrassment of FFOS (or possible FFS) tarnishes his name?

3. xj25vm

I wish they would hire a few more people to actually write quality code - instead of a bunch of marketing suits who would rather take over the world. All they are doing is dicking about with the interface in both Firefox and Thunderbird - and replying to any requests to squash bugs in their software or add properly useful functionality with "La, la, la, la - I'm sorry we are not serving the corporate market". Lightning is light years behind - so to speak, slow as c**p and lacking features by the cartload. All they've been doing in the last few years is trying to offload any actually useful work on to the "community" while they chase the fuzzy dreams of "integration" with commercial entities, building yet another appstore (which the world clearly desperately needs), showing off milliseconds shaved off their JavaScript engine and releasing yet another mobile OS which is so successful that it exists only in online articles.

If they really wanted to keep the Internet "free" for all of us - why didn't they take over development of WebOS from HP and push that as far as it would go? There you have it, a mobile operating system based on Linux and on HTML - already open sourced. Even if HP didn't give them the gsm drivers - it would have still been less work than starting from scratch. Why didn't they develop Lightning with connectors and drivers to plug into various back-ends - so that there is finally a viable free alternative to Exchange? Oh - sorry - that might have upset uncle Google and their Google Docs market. And no - the .ics and webdav connectors for Lightning are useless for anything more than few hundred appointments - even with those numbers it is a pain.

The least they could do is STFU about their great role in human history of keeping the Internet free for all of us. That might have been the case in the early days - but it's been long lost among board reshuffles and Google subsidies.

4. Paul 135

A good time to leave...

With the horror known as "Australis" about to land on the desktop it would be a good idea to get out before the massive backlash to this mess is unleashed!

(other than that I love Firefox on the desktop as it is. Their Android browser is also more fluid than Chrome's these days, though I love the just released Chrome beta).

5. El Limerino
    Thumb Down

Charity basket case

Maybe that will be the end of the insufferable billboards around the Bay Area bragging about how smug Firefox is to be "independent" and saving the world from... I dunno... better software from organizations that actually make money? The only reason Mozilla can pay its engineers is because Google pays an assload to have their search engine be the home page.

As el reg would say, "Freetards"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like