back to article Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX33

If you're one of those types who enjoys adjusting this and tweaking that to take the pefect picture, the DMC-FX33 from Panasonic will not appeal to you. This camera does just about everything automatically. You have to admit it, the DMC-FX33 is something of a looker. It’s a compact, light, sleek and stylish camera measuring 94 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Brian Miller
    Linux

If you filmed a vid

Why not post it so that the quality can actually be seen?

2. Lloyd
    Dead Vulture

And

You can get these two to edit the video for you and your loved ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC0sR5_NTFo

Seriously? Would you trust these people with any sort of technology? Your wedding videos would have dueling banjos as their background music.

3. Perry
    Paris Hilton

@ Lloyd

Re: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC0sR5_NTFo

Holy God!....

Paris because she'll need this video team for her next hamburger commercial

4. Herby

Is YouTube just...

...Wayne's World continuously??

No I don't think I'd trust those two with ANYTHING! Of course, they should have been better at reading cue cards. Maybe take acting classes.

5. MaXimaN
    Stop

Image Noise

I tried one of these and, although colur reproduction was good, I was appauled at the amount of noise in images taken in anything less than bright light. I compared it to shots taken with a very old Canon IXUS and a very new Pentax and both were considerably better and sharper, even in low light. Needless to say it went back to the shop pretty sharpish.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Dust?

Isn't that a pube in between the I and the 8 on the keyboard close-up shot????

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@Dust?

Looks that way - probably been used one handed ...

Mine's the mac with the white stains in the lining near the pockets.

8. David Gosnell

Re: Image Noise

Yep, it's the price we (as a society) pay for being obsessed with the megazoom and megapixel arms race. The sensors have to stay small to allow practical zoom ranges in a pocketable camera, and the (alas) vast majority of people still think an 8Mp camera is inherently better than a 6Mp one, all things being equal, when for the same size sensor the 6Mp one will deliver significantly less noisy images and still be perfectly adequate for printing at typical sizes.

Unfortunately, the manufacturers play to the mass market, and the retailers can't explain this kind of thing to the average customer. Retailers don't want low megapixel cameras on their shelves because they simply don't sell against the often inferior high megapixel stuff. As a result, the megapixels and zoom ranges carry on up and up as the image quality flushes itself down the loo. If you want to avoid bad image noise in a new camera, you have little choice but to go down the dSLR route now.

Still, console yourself with the fact that the successor to this camera (the DMC-FX35, announced in January) has 10Mp and a 4x zoom for only a minutely larger sensor, which will inevitably be still worse on the noisy image front.

9. Jared Earle

Panasonic and Noise

It's not just the megapixel race that gives us noise on this camera. Panasonics are renowned for noise at anything over ISO100. I use a fantastic FZ20 with that amazing 12x Leica zoom and am constantly impressed by the class-leading glass stuck on the front, and constantly annoyed by the noisy low-light performance.

Swings and roundabouts ... if you live somewhere bright, get a Panasonic and marvel in the optics. If you live in gloomy Scotland, get a Canon or get a tripod and learn to work in low-ISO.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like