back to article Star Trek phaser sells for a STUNNING $231,000

Captain Kirk's phaser weapon from the second pilot of the 1960s Star Trek series has sold for an illogical $231,000 at auction. Captain Kirk and Dr McCoy from the original Star Trek series Phasers on stunned: Kirk, left, and McCoy The phaser, used by the character played by William "Khan!" Shatner, was expected to sell for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dilbert1969

$231,000 and it doesn't even work!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nuts

Madness, especially as they used to be for sale in toy shops for £2.99.

Still got mine in the attic.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: especially as they used to be for sale in toy shops for £2.99.

The ones in the toy shop weren't actually in the second pilot episode though, maybe that's why someone thought it was worth more.....?

2. Steven Roper

Re: Nuts

"Madness, especially as they used to be for sale in toy shops for £2.99."

And the toy would probably be a lot less fragile than the cobbled-together-from-old-camera-parts-by-the-props-department one-use props they make for the movies!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

natural selection

some would say

3. Khaptain Silver badge
      FAIL

No, it doesn't work but for only $231,000 you can pretend that it does......

1. mantavani

@khaptain - sounds a bit like Trident!

2. thomas k.

Yes, it's called ... "Acting!"

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Yes, but normally you don't "pay" to act, you should actually get "paid" for acting...

On second thoughts, William Shatner should have paid....

4. Nuke
      Headmaster

@ Dilbert1969

Wrote :- "$231,000 and it doesn't even work!"

Looks like it does work. Someone was knocked out of their senses.

5. BillG
      Mushroom

The phaser would be the last invention of a civilized society.

Once you invent something that can kill people without leaving a trace, co-workers would be disappearing on a daily basis.

1. Euripides Pants

It would simplify divorce too...

6. dssf

On the contrary...

Logic suggests it works on hearts and minds....

2. Christian Berger

To speak with the words of Kirk

Must.... avoid... obvious.... Apple... fanboy..... jokes.....

3. Mystic Megabyte
    Alien

Phaser sold

I'm stunned

4. frank ly
    Happy

re. Kirk, left, and McCoy

I know it's a polite and sensible convention, but is there anybody here who would need that information?

1. Khaptain Silver badge
      Happy

Re: re. Kirk, left, and McCoy

Lol, I doubt it and I can quite easilly imagine that someone will be capable of telling us which episode the image came from.

1. MrXavia
        Happy

Pretty sure that is a promo picture, can't recall an episode with that background :-D

2. Derezed
      Terminator

The positioning is very significant...I would NEVER let Bones stand behind me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD5eRjasM5Y

5. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

It's expensive Jim,

But not as we know it....

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/tutorial-12x-star-trek-phaser-mod-46886.html

DOES work!!!!

6. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

OK, I have a laser printer

How do I set it to 'stun'

1. MrT

Have it print...

...print a picture of the item and then print the price paid...

Or fit it on a flimsy shelf above the nearest office chair. Works best if it's a HP 4s and the shelf is fixed using Pritt Stick...

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Hmmmmm 3 or 4 hours in my workshop....

And I could probably make a perfect replica......

Holly Weird non functional props, tend to not be overly technical....

Aluminium head, plywood handle, basic trigger guard, splash of wood filler, paint etc... a pack of screws, band saw, lathe......

Looks great from a distance, in low definition TV, on a small screen...

"Ooooooooo I must pay zillions for shit."

People are starving, world very polluted, rampant homelessness, drug addiction, environmental catastophes - and a fuckwit pays $250K on a crappy set prop..

Good one idiot.

1. James Hughes 1

Re: Hmmmmm 3 or 4 hours in my workshop....

As someone above said, will that Phaser you made in your shed have been the one actually held by Kirk (!) in the second pilot? No? Ah, I think I see where the difference is...

I could also paint a Mona Lisa (well, photo and print) - would it be worth what the original is? No? Why not!

1. cyborg
        Childcatcher

But, but... starving, children!

Not that we can say with 100% confidence that the economic velocity of the money spent at the auction might not actually eventually spur on someone to spend something related to not just starving children but all manner of things the OP may approve of.

I mean, come on people. Stop being so damn silly about this.

2. jason 7

It is funny when you get to see a lot of TV and movie props as to how crappy they actually look close up. Even ones from $100 million movies look really nasty under examination.

3. Peter Simpson 1
      Happy

On the other hand, the guy who paid $250k for it could probably afford it, and that's money he won't be spending on hookers or blow...

//job creator

4. LPF

Their money they can do what they want with it commie!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Set phasers to fun

That's a nice earner for someone!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did this guy buy it?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/24/voyager_flat/

10. Mark McNeill
    WTF?

That's geeks for you

For that sort of money, they could have bought eight and a quarter of Marilyn Monroe's bras.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: That's geeks for you

For that kind of money I'd want a pair of her nickers!

2. joejack

Re: That's geeks for you

For that sort of money (at the time), you could have paid for an additional season.

11. Combustable Lemon

"For that sort of money, they could have bought eight and a quarter of Marilyn Monroe's bras."

Excellent! This is the new way all money should be quantified!

"That'll be 1/16th of Marilyn's bra Sir."

1. Peter Simpson 1

Reg measurement standars

Have we found the constant which relates volume in Bulgarian airbags to dosh?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cost != Value

Breaking a thing down into it's constituent parts, and then assessing a items value based on that is measuring COST not VALUE.

A human is about £4 worth of chemicals when reduced down, but we place much more value on human life (or some of us do!).

The Mona Lisa is worth around £500 million pounds, but is made from around £200 of materials.

Some things have value because of their uniqueness in the world.

1. taxman
      WTF?

Re: Cost != Value

Some things get given a value because some people have more money than sense.

1. bolccg

Ugh, all these sorts of debates seem to overlook something very fundamental:

taste is subjective

If you disagree then you are just saying that you believe that your taste is the "correct" one. Well anyone can say that. I'm sure most of us on these boards have some fairly involved interests, technological or otherwise. It's tedious when someone rolls their eyes at your interests and what you choose to spend your time and money on and so it is when you do it to others.

If this person could afford this sum responsibly then who cares? As long as they aren't hurting anyone, can't we just let everyone get on with it and grow up a bit?

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

A human is about £4 worth of chemicals when reduced down....

I shall have to complain about the price of Soylent Green then.

13. adam payne

A good addition to many Star Trek fans collection but I wouldn't pay that much.

14. Beer_M0nster
    Coat

It's so valuable because...

it goes up to 11.

1. ecofeco Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: It's so valuable because...

*snerk*

15. MacGyver
    Megaphone

Just goes to show, if you have enough money..

..that it doesn't mean you're not a moron. Oh, and that you can buy anything.

I bet they feel real proud, I however, am just disgusted, disgusted that someone out there has that much disposable income and chooses to spend it on 50 year old TV props.

If only their parents had given them enough hugs as a child they might have spent that on something of value, like trying to make the world a better place, if not only for their own offspring.

In the end, it's their money, they got it from somewhere (notice I didn't say they worked for it, because no amount of "work" leads to $250,000 dollars of money with so little value as to buy fake toys), but now it's theirs, and they can spend it on whatever they want, but they will always just be a douche in my eyes.

1. Martin
      Thumb Up

Re: Just goes to show, if you have enough money..

<applause>

A fine rant, and worthy of several upvotes.

Here is one from me.

2. croc

Melinda bought it, for Bill.. He's such a closet trekkie, y'know.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge
        Alien

Exactly... I can see a bunch of the top Silicon Valley guys being Trekkies, especially Brin, Page, or Wozniak.

2. MacGyver
        Paris Hilton

If that is the case, then this is truly the exception, as they do spend their money on making the world a better place. The Gates are definitely not the norm. Most of the time the buyer is someone like Donald Trump, not someone who really has spent billions helping to fight AIDS and malaria. I stand by my statement as general rule in regards to people with too much money buying crap with what would be 5-20 years worth of salary, but concede in this particular case.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Making the world a better place...

one hooker at a time!

Dave

16. ecofeco Silver badge
    Coat

Set Phasers on stun.

PEW PEW PEW!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anubis costume from the movie version of Stargate?

If the author meant the original theatrical release, it wasn't Anubis, it was Ra as Anubis didn't appear until halfway through the series. If he meant the DVD movie(s) after the series ended, it was Ba'al as Anubis was long gone by then.

The Anubis costume was basically a cloak and special effects, probably not worth paying much for, even for the nutters paying nearly a quarter million dollars for a prop phaser.

18. Gruntfuttock

Things To Do Before I Die

One of my ‘Things To Do Before I Die’ is to go to a Trekkie Convention in Las Vegas – dressed as a Tribble

19. Gruntfuttock

Why?

Why?

Because all the nice girls would want to cuddle me.

I'd take it from there - 'nuff said.

This topic is closed for new posts.