back to article Apple pulls banned content from Chinese App Store

Apple is under fire again in China after removing an application from its local App Store featuring illegal content, in what could be the start of more rigorous approach to self-censorship following Cupertino’s recent run-in with the authorities. Hao Peiqiang, developer of bookstore app jingdian shucheng told the FT his …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Turtle

"Playing nice or rolling over."

"Playing nice or rolling over?"

Is there a difference?

1. Snake Silver badge

Re: "Playing nice or rolling over."

Yes, there is.

Rolling over is something you just do.

Abiding by the laws of the land where you operate is the fundamental principles of a working society. If Apple doesn't wish to play by CCP's rules, then Apple should take their ball and go home. As a Westerner, you/we may not want to hear that - we believe ourselves to be entitled to just about any action we deem *personally* acceptable - but laws are laws no matter where they are. And, since Apple is nothing more than a foreign visitor to a host's land, playing by the rules is even more important.

Or should they be the typical "loud American" and be allowed to walk into any country they wish to, and do whatever they wish?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

it's an [app] store so it can only sell stuff that is legal in whichever country. nothing to see here, this is nothing whipped into news.

1. No, I will not fix your computer
      Holmes

It's Apple....

Actually doing something that it should do, in a reasonably timely fashion (although timing, like the article says could be a factor), which of course it's not renound for, it's renound for doing whatever it likes in a timescale it likes, the news isn't "Apple doing what it should" it' "Apple doing what it should, for a change", it's not their actions that the article is about, it's asking "why".

Take another example, it's 2am and a car is driving through a deserted town at 35mph, another car is driving through at 25mph, given the 30mph limit, who is more likely to be over the drink-drive limit? it's not action, it's motive.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It's Apple....

renowned

2. MrT

in this case...

...it looks like the app was legal but some part of the content it provided was not (or is at best borderline).

This ruling would have implications for example for book reader software since it now implies that app scrutiny for the Chinese market has to go further into the content and examine links/metalinks before approval.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Illegitimate rulers can not, pretty well by definition, enact laws, only rules. So I don't see that anything the fascist government of China does can be described as "legal", just "enforced with guns and/or beatings".

1. pix30
        Thumb Down

wow....there's a serious bit of ignorance about China. Define illegitimate for me....ah, I see, they have to follow your definition of a democracy. The UK, US, UN (etc etc) recognise the government of China, so I guess they are in fact legitimate.

There's loads of stuff about China and its government that is not nice...but they're definitely not fascist. In fact there's loads of good stuff that the government does...like invest in infrastructure, move people out of poverty, allow people to build personal wealth (legitimately and illegitimately to be fair). Yeah, they're paranoid...they're also pretty unpleasant to people who don't agree with the system....but an awful lot of people have a much better life now than they did 10 years ago.

I've lived in China for two years now....no guns, no beatings, just a bunch of regular people going about their business in the same way as they would in London or New York....spending money, drinking beer, buying iPhones

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"There's loads of stuff about China and its government that is not nice...but they're definitely not fascist. In fact there's loads of good stuff that the government does...like invest in infrastructure, move people out of poverty, allow people to build personal wealth (legitimately and illegitimately to be fair). Yeah, they're paranoid...they're also pretty unpleasant to people who don't agree with the system....but an awful lot of people have a much better life now than they did 10 years ago."

If you manage to find something that differs from Nazi Germany, let me know, but there's nothing there that means they're not fascist.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like