back to article Microsoft releases Exchange 2013 update

Exchange admins rejoice: Microsoft has released the first big update for the 2013 version of the mail server and it's ready for you to download and install. What could possibly go wrong? Lots, actually, as Microsoft planned the release of “Exchange Server 2013 RTM Cumulative Update 1” for the first quarter of this year. By …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I am glad I am not an exchange Admin. I do wonder if people actually need or want all the features that are in Exchange these days? I guess there must be some demand. The primary reasons we decided not to go with Exchange was the resource requirements both in hardware and admin training (even though it is reasonably cheap on an OVS if your already paying for CALS).

2. Locky

Reason's for 2013?

I'm still looking for a good reason to move from 2010 to 2013. There's no real compelling feature that I can see, other than the slightly less reliance on Powershell, but if you've been admining it since 07 you've had to learn it all anyway

Roll on 2016, maybe they'll fix the backend database away from needing the etsutil tools from Ex5. Maybe...

1. Lusty

Re: Reason's for 2013?

There's nothing wrong with the database, it's based on Jet which is perfectly suitable for the job. These days it's stable and fast as well as capable of very large sized databases. If you're having issues then it's likely down to your management of the system rather than the software. Generally the database will only have a problem if you have a poor backup solution, lose power, or run it on top of virtualisation with a bad disk configuration (Jet needs writethru for the logs, as does SQL). If you do experience corruption then dial tone recovery is recommended, so "fixing" the DB should be a thing of the past. You also shouldn't be defragging the databases these days so usage of the tools should be very rare indeed.

1. Skoorb

Jet (which came from MS Access 2.0) is being slowly replaced within Microsoft as the embedded DB of choice by a stripped down version of SQL Server called 'LocalDB'. See http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlexpress/archive/2011/07/12/introducing-localdb-a-better-sql-express.aspx for an everview.

I don't know why there has been no effort to move Exchange over yet.

1. Lusty

I'd love to know where you got that info from. the Exchange team have gone on record saying they have no intention of relpacing Jet, and it's actively being developed. Yes, Access used it but so does AD among other things. The link you sent is discussing LocalDB replacing SQLExpress which is nothing to do with Exchange or AD.

3. Skoorb

The pricing is what it is and the back end admin tools what they are because you are supposed to be moving to Office 365 hosted exchange for £2.60 user/month of course.

:-/

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No thanks...

I'm currently working in a company that abandoned plans to go Exchange and stuck with Lotus Notes/Domino. I'm even busy rewriting Sharepoint apps to work under Lotus Notes.

Seems to be opposite to the trend (in public at least) but Notes applications are easier for us to develop and, basically, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

5. g dot assasin
    Facepalm

Nice...

Have they fixed the Transport service so it doesn't have to be bounced every 8 hours?!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like