back to article So, Twitter. 200m twits. How will you make your first billion? Oh, ads.

Microblogging website Twitter is all set to tweet its way into billion-dollar revenues in the next two years, apparently thanks to its growing mobile ad revenue. Beancounters at market research firm eMarketer now estimate that Twitter will earn $582.8m in global ad revenue this year, $950m next year and then break the billion- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bill the Sys Admin
    WTF?

What I don’t understand is that with all the nonsense about facebook advertising and all these bots and fake clicks? Why would you think twitter is much better. Anytime you mention a buzz word you get spammed by random bots on twitter. Well I certainly do anyway, don’t have facebook so wouldn’t know if that’s the same

1. Lee D Silver badge

The problem isn't fake clicks, but real ones. How many people are going to tweet and/or read a tweet and pay any attention to surrounding advertisements at all? Gone are the days where putting an ad on a website made you enough to keep the site running - the ads have to relevant, prevalent, and persistent in order to actually get any clicks that result in a worthwhile advert. What's there to be relevant to in a tweet? It's barely enough room to bother to put a URL in.

This looks like one of those predictions from Dragon's Den, from some moron who thinks he's invented the next best thing. "No, I'm not making any money at all from advertising at the moment, but over the next three years I predict to make a billion pounds doing it". Yeah, right.

Twitter will do this, lose visitors, and ultimately get sold for a pittance to someone else after they realise it's NOT worth billions even if every user clicked every ad once a day and then went on to buy whatever was in the ad.

1. Oor Nonny-Muss
        Thumb Up

>>Gone are the days where putting an ad on a website made you enough to keep the site running

Have they? Mine is running a small surplus. One choice advertiser (not a network) who serves the demographic of the site. Advertiser is happy with the business that comes his way, I'm happy with what he pays me.

2. Camilla Smythe
        Devil

What's there to be relevant to in a tweet?

"The ads have to relevant, prevalent, and persistent in order to actually get any clicks that result in a worthwhile advert. What's there to be relevant to in a tweet? It's barely enough room to bother to put a URL in."

http://www.iiitd.edu.in/~ashish/MTech-Thesis-Denzil-Correa.pdf

Got your number mate, and your name, and where you eat, what films and music you like.... etc....etc.

Of course you read Reg so you think you are immune. Mwah-hah-hah.

2. Only me!
    Trollface

Twaters

So a bunch of marketing people, let's call them Tw4ts are going to pay a bunch of Twitters knows as Tw4ters to spam a bunch of people on twitter, let's call them the Tw4atted with adverts.

I think that about sums it up ;-)

3. Seanmon

Err...

Isn't twitter already just all about advertising? You just get to chose who advertises to you, i.e. @regvulture. I certainly don't use it for intellectual discourse.

1. Bill the Sys Admin

Re: Err...

Not any more there is now promoted tweets that appear on your feed without your choice. Never used to be like that.

4. Naughtyhorse

hang on a second......

200m twats 400m tweets.

thats 2 each a day. i thought the twatterati couldnt break wind without boring all their mates shitless with the gory details. this must mean that there are millions of dormant accounts.

yes mine is one!, looked at it a few years back to see what all the fuss was about - took 10 minutes to formulate 'fuck that for a game of soldiers' I really couldnt give a toss about how nice my coffee is when all's said and done ffs - so imagine how riveted i am about yours.

1. ForthIsNotDead

Re: hang on a second......

Totally agree with NaughtyHorse, have a +1

I got bitten quite badly by a combination of Twitter and YouTube. I (rather nieavely) linked my Twitter account to my YouTube account. I had opened the Twitter account as an announcement portal for some software that I developed and maintain, so it had a few subscribers. I got embroiled in a flame-war on YouTube about what a cock-end the POTUS is, and another (pointless) debate about who is better: Eric Clapton or Gary Moore. I didn't realise until I logged in to my Twitter account some weeks later that every comment I had made on YouTube had been tweeted to my 'audience'. I closed the account there and then.

Totally my fault, but it served as a good lesson for me.

5. Stretch

a billion dollars from click fraud? good luck with that.

6. Senior Ugli

hmmm I actually promote little companies and site that I think are worthwhile on twitter. However It does piss me off when you see some twatty bank at the top trying to buy your friendship and pretending they are normal people. I doubt many people have actually used the promoted tweets, but if corporate companies wanna keep spunking money on that, then fair play to twitter

7. Pete Spicer
    Joke

As per last Saturday's Doctor Who:

Doctor: "Imagine that – human souls trapped like flies in the world wide web, crying out for help..."

Clara: "Isn’t that basically Twitter?"

1. Rukario
      Joke

Clara?

Get back in the kitchen and make me a soufflé!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time expenditure

Time is a limited resource (I am realising that more as I grow older), and each 24 hour allocation must be spent - it cannot be saved. The resulting expenditure can be either non-discretionary (sleep, work, etc.) or discretionary (twitter, Facebook, TV, etc.).

It is also precious. People don't like wasting it on obtrusive advertising.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like