back to article Google mislays 'L' for Luuurv

Google has continued its tradition of offering themed logos on days of international import, and is currently sporting a Valentine's Day effort featuring a chocolate-dipped strawberry in place of the usual "g". Google drops the L from Valentine's Day Tasty. However, in its enthusiasm for the annual festival of romance-based …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's the Problem?

Apparently I don't see the same problem as you do...

The Strawberry and chocolate is the "g" and the stem of the strawberry is the "l"

2. Mal Franks

Sod St Valentine's Day

I sincerely hope that Google will recognise that tomorrow it's St Skeletor's Day!

3. cosdave

St Skeletor!?!

It's St Skeletors day?! :) Cool. Him and Evil Lyn will rule us all.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It makes perfect sense according to the Urban Dictionary

from urbandictionary.com (edited for politeness' sake)

1. Googe

Googe is a sexual act originating in the Amazon rainforest. It is where the man wraps his legs around a womans face and googe's like a bad badger. It is now used as an exclamation of hornyness or used as a term instead of f**k, or also can be used as an expression deep hatred. Eg, I f**king want to googe ya mam

2. googe

When you keep c**ming like a firehose till u shrivel up (as in scary movie) :)

I had a googe last night, i nearly died!

5. Mark Morton

My Bloody Valentine

Cleverer people than me have suggested it's a nod to Debbie Googe from the band My Bloody Valentine

http://eyedropper.typepad.com/blog/2007/02/google_or_googe.html

6. Sean Nevin

Google's response seems suspicious...

I can only wonder what google's response would have been had the person who asked them about the missing 'L' *not* mentioned the possibility of the stem representing the L...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just how Edgy do you want to be?

Well, Google told me (sic):

"hi there this seems to be a male/female thing - all the women get it that the stalk on the strawberry is the "L" - many men don't! Dennis is trying to more edgy logos now ..."

Exactly why Google-girls see a stiff green stalk as being the "L" in Luurrve escapes me. Perhaps it's something management put in the water-cooler. Anyway, wiki has now recorded this urban myth for posterity, under "Googe", although the page is subject to frequent edits at the present time.

Can't disagree though: Putting a word with the sexual overtones of "Googe" on your front page for a day is certainly "edgy".

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't Be Evil?

This creates an interesting test of Google's impartiality. Clearly the "Googe" Valentine logo is controversial. If Google posts it with its other holiday logos at:

http://www.google.com/holidaylogos.html

and indexes controversial discussion on wiki, here or elsewhere then we shall know they're not evil. But if "Googe" disappears without trace, then we'll know that the Chinese Government aren't the only ones who do censorship...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Googe Test"

Excellent. Now we have a new term. Googe Test (noun) - a measure of corporate integrity. Said of a large company which has made a PR blunder ("googed") which, instead of acknowledging, it tries but fails to shrug off or cover up.

Think Alaskan oil spills, Saudi aircraft contracts, that kind of thing.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like