back to article Paypal struggles free of VMware lock-in, goes with OpenStack

Paypal is floating thousands of its servers on open-source OpenStack and sidelining VMware to become faster than smaller competitors at building payment apps for the cloud. eBay’s payment arm hopes for tens of thousands of nodes – half its current total - running on OpenStack by the summer. Paypal is understood to be replacing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Someone tell the banks

about this stuff. Paypal get a lot of flack but they at least they know what they're doing. Five days to make a simple transfer from a bank account to a Paypal account is not an example of knowing what you're doing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Someone tell the banks

What the hell are you talking about?

All UK banks now run "faster transfers" which can move money between accounts in about 90mins, typically far less. That PayPal aren't signed up to Faster Payments (judging by your comment) isn't a problem with the banks.

1. Kevin Gurney
        FAIL

Paypal do withdrawals using FPI - however they "randomly" select 99% of withdrawals for checking therefore you still wait three days for your funds to clear.

However I don't think they're classed as a bank in the UK are they ?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I think paypal are classed as a payments processor, but they manage to duck under a lot of regulation having moved to somewhere else in (not technically) the EU - possibly Luxembourg?

2. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Well there's your problem

Some of us don't live in the UK.

1. Captain Scarlet

Re: Well there's your problem

Come and join the Empire *Cough*

I mean Commonwealth (Empire sounds cooler)

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Captain Scarlet:

What with being an Australian I already have a memberships card - not that it gets me in anywhere much these days. I'll think I'll stick with Imperio El Reg.

AC:

Probably not a reasonable assumption given this site's expansionist tendencies (see above). As for Frankie Boyle - I can only agree with your assessment of his comic talents and since there seems to be some brand confusion maybe I should sue (I was here first).

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Francis Boyle - This is a UK web site, so it's reasonable to presume that you do live in the UK, especially with you having the name of a uk (and I hesitate to use the next word) "Comedian".

I believe most of the EU has an equivalent of faster payments, where are you that you don't?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Actually it is about knowing exactly what they are doing.

Half of that time Paypal get the interest and the other half, their banking partner does. For which consideration they made all the transfers for free....

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

For the benefit of the author, Open Cloud is not necessarily just 'Linux-For-The-Cloud" - it can run compute nodes on more scalable hypervisors too like Hyper-V.

2. vmcreator

In the know:

http://wahlnetwork.com/2013/03/28/vmware-responds-to-paypal-openstack-announcement/

Quality is important.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like