back to article Apple in Chinese court over patent rights for Siri

A Chinese court has heard claims that Apple's Siri personal assistant infringes a patent owned by a local firm that makes similar voice-activated software for both iOS and Android, in just the latest setback for Cupertino in the country. Shanghai's Zhizhen Network Technology Co. first patented its "Xiao i Robot" software in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bob Vistakin
    Facepalm

Its them Wound corners

Siri, can you demonstrate to us what we mean when we tell others we can't have them stealing our inventions please?

2. Snake Silver badge
    Mushroom

Ouch

If the Chinese court decides against Apple, that's going to leave a mark.

1. Dana W

Re: Ouch

The chines court ALWAYS finds against foreigners.

I wonder how may companies they will rob before said companies start looking for more honest places to do business.

1. Don Jefe

You'd think that Western companies would have learned about the perils of the Great Red Xerox years ago but it doesn't look that way.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Pirate

>"The chines court ALWAYS finds against foreigners. I wonder how may companies they will rob before said companies start looking for more honest places to do business."

I'm not so sure Apple was getting robbed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku0H10_G1X4

From that video, I'd have to say Siri is a HUGE ripoff of Xiao i Robot.

1. g e
          Holmes

Not to mention of course that US courts usually find against non-US companies, too.

Swing, meet Roundabout

2. mhenriday
          Pint

But you see, Andy, Apple has a patent on FTL-travel, which allows it to patent things which were invented previously according to the lights (pardon the pun !) of those of us whose experience of time-like intervals is limited by the speed of light in vacuo. Apple ha sempre ragione !...

Henri

3. Ashton Black
    Holmes

Swings and Round(corners)abouts.

Well the Chinese corp is "only protecting their Intellectual Property*" after all.

*Where have I heard that before?

4. IanzThingz
    Holmes

What's good for the goose...

US court finds in favour of US company, what's the betting that a Chinese court finds in favour of a Chinese company?

Sherlock, well, because....

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: What's good for the goose...

OTH maybe Apple is Chinese and not American.

Where is it all made?

1. IanzThingz

Oh, I do like that, have an upvote, sir.

2. Esskay

Apple should count themselves lucky - just wait until they take a leaf out of the US's book and start applying local law on a global scale...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"first patented its "Xiao i Robot" software in 2004, three years before Siri "

shume mishtake, shurely

1. VinceH

Optional

"shume mishtake, shurely"

Not necessarily. Siri was originally a third party app for the iPhone which Apple later bought and made part of iOS. I've no idea when it did actually first appear, but it does predate the big fuss Apple made over it when they introduced it themselves.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Optional

The first iPhone was only released in 2007 and it didn't allow third party apps.

1. VinceH

Re: Optional

"The first iPhone was only released in 2007 and it didn't allow third party apps."

True, I'd forgotten that point - so it definitely didn't appear in 2007, then. (But it did appear earlier than when Apple themselves introduced it.)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>"In the last few weeks, Cupertino has also come under increasing criticism in the local media"

Well I'm sure they deserve it. Post around 8:20!

7. JaitcH
    FAIL

Students have been warned about taking out expensive loans ...

even worse, some people are selling their organs in order to raise enough funds to buy an iThingy.

Talk about poor value for money. Apple has a year long warranty and the organs are likely to last a lifetime.

8. g e
    Facepalm

"stop manufacturing and selling products"

Oh! Where are Apple products manufactured?

Guess that one can be enforced with soldiers at will assuming a 'settlement' isn't reached, of which there's no guarantee over there.

9. Rukario
    Paris Hilton

Apple Addict?

Any mention of Siri and I cannot unhear this:

"Envoie un message à ma femme et duis lui que j'ai hâte de rentrer ce soir pour lui lécher les seins"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like