back to article Scan your branes LIVE IN REAL-TIME, thanks to GPU-surfin' boffins

Let’s say you’re at a gathering – maybe a cocktail party or a crowded club – and some buff athlete shows up on crutches. He immediately becomes the center of attention as he recounts the story of his injury. “Dude, it was gnarly," he bellows so that everyone can hear. "A totally sick shred. Now I’m waitin’ on the MRI results. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jim Willsher
    FAIL

How about spelling branes (brains) correctly for a start?

1. hplasm
      Boffin

Sigh.

Recently- 'Speak you're Branes' (ifyoulikeitsomuchwhydontyougolivethere.com/)

As any fule kno.

Kids today...

2. IT Hack

Branes

Jim - branes is a word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Membrane_%28M-theory%29

1. Simon Smith 1
      Headmaster

Re: Branes

Jim. Branes is a word, jst not as we know it.

<pedant>

In this context it probably should be 'branes

</pedant>

1. Dave 62

*just (you're welcome)

I think perhaps "in this context it should probably be 'branes" makes more sense :)

Who's this Jim Branes anyway?

1. Not That Andrew

Actually it's a reference to the Molesewoth Books http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Molesworth by Geoffrey Willans and Ronald Searle. Have they stopped teaching the Classics or something?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Good ol' Molesewoth. Any relation to Goatsewoth?

1. Not That Andrew

Re: Goatsewoth

No idea and I'm not sure I want to find out.

2. IT Hack
        Pint

All I know is that I need a long cold one.

Brane or otherwise!

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Astonishing.

In the 1970s CT scan processing was an early candidate for using massively parallel (well thousands) of bit serial processors. Good idea but never took off.

Now you can get literally 100s of times that power in (by medical hardware terms) tiny sums of money.

With enough resolution and political will every politician could be inside one when they speak. Instantaneous confirmation of lies (or a sociopathic character that literally cannot tell a lie from a truth).

The possibilities are endless.

4. JetSetJim
    Pint

And yet there is no YouTube footage of some willing volounteer's scan. Poor show.

Top marks to the bods for releasing the code, though. Excellent work.

1. David Pollard
      Pint

Top marks

Another pint for release as open source code.

5. brainwrong
    Facepalm

Flop!

"found that a 12.7 Teraflop-per-second, two-socket Xeon system with 96GB RAM and four Nvidia GTX 580 (total of 8 GPUs) will do the trick"

That's a lot of TeraFlops per second from some graphics GPU units soldered to a PCB board with some RAM memory!

Flops == Floating-point Operations Per Second, for any stupid people watching.

6. Christoph

Also very useful if they can get the scan done quicker using this due to seeing immediate results.

Besides giving greater throughput of scans per machine, a friend gets very bad claustrophobia when she's put in those machines so the less time it takes the better.

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Odd there have been no other open source load sharing libraries before.

Hopefully this could go much further.

8. John Galt

Very nice job!

That's one of the best pieces of technical journalism I've read.

I'm a research geophysicist/programmer w/ a BA in English literature. I really appreciate good technical writing. It's hard.

Well Done!

Reg

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Very nice job!

Who is this guy?

9. Terry Cloth
    WTF?

Why are they so damn' noisy?

It's all electronics and radio waves, but neither my computer nor my radio make that sort of a racket. Are the magnetic fields so strong that we're hearing the structure being warped out of shape? If so, I hope they have the framework inspected at least as often as an airliners. If not, what's going on?

1. TheDillinquent
      Boffin

Re: Why are they so damn' noisy?

Its called Magnetostriction, same reason as transformershttp://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/boffin_32.png hum

10. IronMaiden65
    Coat

Just need to see it now...

So all we need now is the holographic projector to go with it!!!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

My brane hertz

Really, it Megahertz

12. cs94njw
    Thumb Up

This sounds AMAZING! The only problem being it'll require a doctor to be on hand for each MRI exam.

I hate to say it, but I can't see the NHS wasting a doctor on that kind of stuff.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like