back to article Antarctic meteorite points to smashed dwarf planet

Two pieces of meteorite found in 2006 in the Graves Nunataks area of Antarctica are likely fragments of a dwarf planet destroyed in the solar system's youth, New Scientist reports. Detailed studies of the chunks, dubbed GRA 06128 and GRA 06129, significantly revealed that they contain 75-90 per cent feldspar, indicating their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ishkandar
    Boffin

Are you sure that's not part of the planet Krypton....

...and that those fragments of rocks may contain kryptonite ?? Try looking for a nice round crater in the vicinity, that'll be where Superbaby landed on his head and bounced back up to re-land in Smallville !!

These scientists obviously don't do enough reading of the right nature !!

2. Seán

The lost planet

Bumhole

3. J
    Joke

The truth is out there

Millions? Billions!? Lost planets!?! Art thou crazy? Everyone knows the universe was created as it is now, 6,000 years ago!

Anyone who tells you otherwise is part of that well known, worldwide conspiracy of the science mafia trying to silence the huge number of valiant rebels who are struggling to tell you the truth. There you have it; now wait for that Expelled movie, or whatever its name is, and rejoice.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

smashed dwarf planet

Does that mean that a bunch of dwarfii got smashed and crashed their planet and/or that we now have an explanation for all the funny short people running around?

Oh come on, admit it. Short people look funny when they run!

Race ya to the door. Mine's the one up higher than you can reach.

5. DV Henkel-Wallace
    Alien

cosmological proof

Sounds like dwarf tossing is an older tradition than I'd realised.

6. Joe Harrison

Last desperate attempt

These are the remaining bits of rock from a kinetic kill vehicle used by the Reticulans in an unsuccessful attempt to destroy their failed "humans" experiment after they realised how it would turn out.

7. Murray Pearson

An actual serious suggestion

Might these meteorites be part of the protoplanet that crashed into Earth 3-4 billion years ago, resulting in the formation of the Moon?

8. Bounty

exogenesis

nah, just the shell of the panspermic vehicle

9. Tim Brown

@Murray Pearson

That seems to be what the meteorites point at, and is certainly plausible. If so, it could be enough to conclusively prove that theory.

Of course, 4 billion years ago (bya) a lot of the system was still in formation, so it could have come from any number of large bodies. Perhaps the most interesting part is the bit about an indication of water. This suggests a body that had cooled sufficiently for water to accumulate. I don't know it that matches the protoplanet theory though.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

And where was Luke Skywalker?

When the Death Star destroyed yet another planet!!!

11. John Angelico
    Joke

A generous serve?

"...but larger than Vesta ..."

Now that's a lot of rice to get through

12. phat shantz
    Alert

All very plausible

Why must all scientific theories agree with previous scientific theories? Making a two-degree mistake at the start of a million-mile journey can lead to catastrophic navigational error. If the mistake is one of 90 degrees, the conclusions are exactly and precisely wrong. Trying to agree with previously erroneous theory can only lead to further error.

Can somebody please make a brand new theory of the universe? The old one is getting, well, old.

And it's not like anyone around now was watching when it happened. Be creative. It's not like anyone can prove you wrong!

Sir Ernest Rutherford said, "All science is either physics or stamp collecting."

I think we're firmly in the "stamp collecting" domain, here.

13. Darren Gallagher
    Coat

Ding Dong Tom Cruis is dead

Xenu is a bastard. Picking on Dwarfs now is he? No Challenge, Look at his Strike Force, Tom Cruise, John Travolta, And though it pains me to say it Jason Lee.

Scientology to Blame in my eyes. Or that'll be the next writings we here about.

Mine's the one with the Target on the back and the Alien Death Ray pointed at it.

This topic is closed for new posts.