back to article RedTen snags lifeboat after being cut adrift by BT

Customers of RedTen Internet could have their connections restored next week after being left high and dry when the ISP had its connection cut by BT. Customers trying to log onto Docklands-based RedTen on Monday were redirected to a BT website carrying the message: BT Wholesale has stopped providing a service to RedTen …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Someone is having a laugh!

"upgrading the servers from 8 megabytes to 24 megabytes"

Who in their right mind would sign up with a company whose technical department spokesman doesn't know the difference between megabytes and megabits, or indeed servers and connections.

2. Andrew Gilbert
    Thumb Down

Cut adrift!!!!

Did redten not realise that they would be cut off if they haven't paid their bills - whether down to bad service or not? Frankly I do not believe that a company of this size could not have the forethought to notify customers that problems may occur! Most of everything we do now is heavily reliant upon the internet, and I for one see this as totally unaceptable - the mayhem that this has caused me even for 1 week, well Redten goodbye - I will fight my case through my solicitor! Just to note I have never had a problem with Redten's broadband in the past and I don't believe they are changing from BT because of service issues! BT provide the wholesale broadband to most of the resellers including this new company that are taking over - will they in the future not want to pay their bills?

Redten - you are on your way out if this is how you run a business!!!

3. aden
    Pirate

Upgrading servers..

"upgrading the servers from 8 megabytes to 24 megabytes" Maybe they were talking about RAM, they are using old 486 servers.

4. Duncan Hothersall
    Heart

Wheee!

"upgrading the servers from 8 megabytes to 24 megabytes"

Yeah, we got our servers upgraded recently too. Not only did we go from 8 megabytes to 24 megabytes, but we also upped the power from 220v to 440v, increased the USB speed to 50 seconds, and doubled the number of connectors on the network cables.

XPilot still bombs out occasionally though.

5. Andrew Gilbert
    Thumb Down

How to (not) run a business!!!!

Duncan and Aden, I think you sum up Redtens business accumen exactly!!!

6. Gavin Pearce
    Coat

RE: Wheee!

Dunan how could you - you forgot that we also rethreaded the RAM holders, and doubled the area of the motherboard! And that's besides from adding the two more unit power switches and the extra core.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BT do not show themselves in a good light.

One thing I've noticed is the appalling attitude of BT in all this towards the poor unfortunate public. They have posted a bald, limited page and refuse to provide the people who are affected with any more information leaving them in a complete quandry. If they jump ship they might end up liable for 2 services - if not they may have to wait to get a brand new connection and be charged a new £50 connection fee!

They have said that the MAC code will expire on the 17th - normaly they should last 30 days.

There is something odd going on here and the poor public are cannon fodder in the middle.

8. kevin downs
    Thumb Up

Redten

I think BT is just one big con. They knew Redten were changing suppliers and the date already fixed for 18th March. so pulled the plug a week early with the excuse of owing money, we also tend to hold back money if suppliers aren't performing.

The Mac code only valid to 17tth and BT letter was just to frighten people into changing supplier - and its worked in several cases. When I changed to Redten I lost service for several days, Redten blamed Pipex and Pipex blamed Redten, when you looked at all the facts both companys were responsive and helpful, the problem was BT just being awkward and unhelpful.

BT are so useless words fail me. I had a small ad in the local phone book - they printed wrong phone number, tell them and they do it again. Tell them you do not want an advert they still do it again and again with of course wrong phone number. Four times wrong! They admit that the advert was not ordered and "you don't need to pay but the bills keep coming and the the debt collectors letters and phone calls and threats. If you complain loud enough to debt collector they just assign another company.

Roll on 18th when I'll be up and running again - BT aren't going to intimidate me!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its nothing to do with BT

I fail to see what more BTcould reasonably be expected to do. BT are not in a position to give legal, or other advice to Redten's customers, and it could open them to litigation if they were to do so. BT are providing Redten customers with MAC codes and giving them enough time at BT's own cost to arrange migration.

In a prior case where BT cut an ISP off, it was rumoured that BT were owed for invoiced dating back 6 months, how long do you expect BT to bare the costs.

Redten could have issued macs to their customers before it came to this.

10. kevin downs
    Thumb Up

redten

I think BT is just one big con. They knew Redten were changing suppliers and the date already fixed for 18th March. so pulled the plug a week early with the excuse of owing money, we also tend to hold back money if suppliers aren't performing.

The Mac code only valid to 17tth and BT letter was just to frighten people into changing supplier - and its worked in several cases. When I changed to Redten I lost service for several days, Redten blamed Pipex and Pipex blamed Redten, when you looked at all the facts both companys were responsive and helpful, the problem was BT just being awkward and unhelpful.

BT are so useless words fail me. I had a small ad in the local phone book - they printed wrong phone number, tell them and they do it again. Tell them you do not want an advert they still do it again and again with of course wrong phone number. Four times wrong! They admit that the advert was not ordered and "you don't need to pay but the bills keep coming and the the debt collectors letters and phone calls and threats. If you complain loud enough to debt collector they just assign another company.

Roll on 18th when I'll be up and running again - new log in details arrived yesterday with NJP so look forward to new service - BT aren't going to intimidate me!

11. silvey bailie

mac code

Hi

Can anyone tell me the mac code to change from redten

Thank you

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But what does it mean????

Quite simply - what does it all mean to the customers?

If they act on the BT page's implied advice they may end up paying twice for subscriptions and/or default on credit/loans.

But they don't tell the **customers** anything - I just want the broadband I've paid for - I do NOT care about their swabbles!

BT are making a fortune - they need to care for their customers - whose telephone line are all these people using (for Now!).

P.S. I've recieved a letter from Redten/NJP Services stating that I will be reconnected on the 18th.

13. silvey bailie
    Unhappy

Mac Code

Could someone please tell me the Mac Code that BT were giving out. I need my internet up and running by tuesday morning at the latest. I have already used 4 days leave as I work from home, I'm on dial up at the minute, this is costing me a fortune.

Plllleeeeaaaasssseeeee

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's this got to do with BT??

RedTen are BT's customer, not the end users - it sounds like RedTen may have been doing the old trick of not paying your last months rent before bunking off to a new flat, or were just consistently bad debters.

Redten are in this to make money and should bear responsibility soley if users can't get service - why should BT bail them out?

15. Pazzo Rossodieci
    Thumb Down

Dealing with Redten Staff is like Channel 4's Fonejacker!

As the Fonejacker would say "Hello I'm calling from Mobile Network Providings (i.e. Redten!) Basically I'm wondering if you wish to downgrade your upgrade to a grade that is higher than your current grading.It is a better than your current dealings. We will regrade your upgrade to a downgrade and you get free ring dings." or "I'm calling from internet service provider. Would you be interested in providing a service our internet service providings is six times quicker? It is 42 Megabytings"

I am finally back online but still no sign of the 24Mb upgrade. I have already asked Redten how they plan to perform this 24Mb upgrade despite the fact that BT will not be upgrading my exchange until Q4 2010. I am still awaiting an answer. I won't hold my breath as I am still awaiting tech. support answers from January! How can they make false promises and get away with it? How exactly can they upgrade to 24MB when virtually all the exchanges in the north west will not be upgraded until Q3/Q4 2010?

To check your exchange status look at: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php

Redten email service is still down! I assume we will not be able to get our email services back until new letters are sent out.

For all my inconvenience Redten first promised to give me a free month's worth of internet. They have now retracted this statement, and said it is too difficult to do, so I will be given this extra month at the end of my 3 year contract. Does this only sound stupid to me? They should have to pay for people's inconvenience now, not in 2-3 years time!

16. HAMISH
    Flame

Take Care

I am also one of the Redten members who signed up with inadvance payment for 3 years via Clode credit

My deposit on the deal £49.99 being paid to Redten by Debit card

I now see in the my control panel on NJP page that payment method for the reconnected service is listed as card at £9.99 per month and the card number shown is the one used 14 months ago to pay the deposit

Looks to me as though NJP or Redten is aiming to charge again for what I paid for in the first place only time will tell

17. John

Illegal?

That would be illegal and fraudulent use of your credit card - surely!!!

18. Pmidy
    Thumb Down

Still no connection

I was one of the unfortunates who didn't know what to do when presented with the BT page and clicked to obtain the mac.

The result is I have not been reconnected, had no letter or any communication from Redten or Fast 4. I have not been able to contact Redten despite ringing everyday since the service went down.

I am now on line at a friends house and have had quite a shock looking at my phone bill. I have averaged 50 minutes a day on the phone to Redten at a cost of £2.16 ex vat every time, and not once have they answered.

Clode the finance company behind them have been 'very nice', but ultimately useless, since I am their customer, paying their wages I would expect a little more from them.

19. Pazzo Rossodieci
    Unhappy

The Redten SAGA goes on!!

The service now being offered is in no way comparable to that which we all signed up for:

Old Service: No monthly download limits whatsoever! Fair Usage Policy restricted Peer to Peer Usage between 6pm & 11pm everyday. Anyone not complying with these terms would be restricted only during these hours.

New Service: NJP Service, Max Lite Package. Monthly Download limit 5 Gigs. At which point users are hobbled to the point that all internet usage is virtually useless.

This is certainly not what I signed up for, or what I will tolerate!!!

20. HAMISH
    Flame

The Redten SAGA 2

Pazzo Rossodieci my panel shows max lite package as 2Gig per month not 5 asd you stated I have used most of that in 2 days so will soon find out what happens then it also quotes £9.99 as the monthly price whilst I still pay Redten £19.99 this is not a joke its a complete panto

21. Jim
    Unhappy

Loss of squirrel e-mails

I lost broadband on 10th March and did not receive notice of changeover by letter or e-mail. I spoke to technical support and he added my main e-mail account to Outlook express (phone call cost £8). This has given me option to see incoming mail, but cannot send out. Also have lost all e-mail folders and address book. I am on a course so cannot access any work I have done in the last 10 months, have I lost all work? Cannot get into the 2 other e-mail address I had either!

22. Pazzo Rossodieci
    IT Angle

The Saga Continues + Answers

Jim to access and set up your email accounts you need the letter from Redten/ NJP Services. You need to visit https://secure.njpservices.com/myacc.asp?a code=red You will then need your Account ID from the letter (Alternatively you may be able to get the details by phoning NJP on 0871 424 0185) and your password remains the same as the master password received from Redten initially. Your main account should already be setup, but you will have to add all your other email accounts again. You should certainly be able to send emails on the main account already so check your settings. Follow the link from http://redten.net/support.html to set up outlook or outlook express. Note that the incoming mail POP3 server has changed to mail.redten.net

Hamish if you only have 2gig limit then they are inconsistent. I would have assumed everybody got 5gig. I am on the same package as you exactly £49.99 one off then £19.99 per month. My PC came as XP then I got the Vista upgrade.

Redten are in a sorry state of affairs. They only seem to have 2 people on the customer services number. 1 who answer and 1 supervisor. I have called almost everyday since I got cut off and always talked to the same person. No wonder it takes them 1.5 hours to answer the phone! This is ridiculous! I would not describe either of these people as technical by any stretch of the imagination! Their grasp of what is going on or the current status of Redten is misguided to say the least!

I just want my MAC code!!!!

23. Pazzo Rossodieci
    Gates Horns

Talking to Redten Staff is futile!

Nothing is going to get resolved by talking to Redten staff. I strongly recommend following the procedure at http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/internet/speed/ and let's see if we can force their hand.

And if you were intending on joining Redten then I would stay well clear!!

24. HAMISH

And so Ad infinitum

Pazzo Rossodieci

My cap has now changed to 5Gig perhaps they read this forum ?

Redten contact us reply to emails is that I must read reply in my control panel if they mean NJP panel there is nothing there and of course Redten panel is gone

I think its time to stuff the whole thing assuming I can get a mac and move on.

I think a call to ofcom may be in order to get mac good luck

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like