back to article No Skype traffic released to cops or spooks, insists Microsoft

Microsoft's Skype subsidiary didn't hand over any user content to law enforcement, according to the software giant's first ever report on how it deals with official requests for data. As previously reported), Microsoft's transparency report revealed that Redmond received 75,378 requests from law enforcement agencies worldwide …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doesn't need to hand it over

Security services can just plug straight in without having to ask so Microsoft can easily say "we don't hand anything over".

All you businesses buying Lync, doesn't this make you feel nice and secure with all that Skype integration ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Doesn't need to hand it over

It's the man, they're out to keep us down!

Yes the security services can magically plug into skype, the point to point service...

1. KjetilS

Skype stopped being proper decentralized p2p after Microsoft bought them, so it's not improbable that a central supernode can alter the routing of your calls to go through a central server to facilitate wiretapping.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes the security services can magically plug into skype, the point to point service...

Lots of ways in which you theoretically get access. Reroute traffic from a Skype super node, backdoor the code so you can jack into a session in progress at source or target (transit is harder because traffic can switch routes), use Skype as a launch platform to import all sorts of other "features" on demand (helped by the fact that lots of people leave Skype running)...

3. M Gale

"Yes the security services can magically plug into skype, the point to point service..."

Point to point, via Mae East or Mae West, or LINX, or any of a few other choke points that can quite easily be sniffed, you mean?

Come on. This is hardly a new trick.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Not Mae West, she went offline in 1980..

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Whereas you can have an Open Source, such a Ignite that uses XMPP .....ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaa, secure, oh please your killing me...

3. Chris G
      Big Brother

Another case of " Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."

The likes of the CIA and MI5 are not Law Enforcement agencies. I wonder what the numbers of inquiries relating to security services are and how many of those were refused? Not many I'll bet!

When someone bigger and tougher than you has easy access to your back door I suppose you just have to bend over and be their bitch!

1. Cipher
        FAIL

And that NSA key didn't belong to the NSA, it was as Microsoft said: just an unfortunate string choice.

Right... Microsoft will be selling swampland next...

4. g e
      Holmes

That was my first thought, too, they don't need to actively hand anything over as an 'enforcement' request likely just consists of 'What was the wiretap server's IP again?'

2. RonWheeler
    Facepalm

Tinfoil hats

Seem to be a must-have fashion item round here.

In a world where unencrypted email is the day to day reality, the abilty of 'security professionals' to make balanced views of risk seems a litte off.

1. Aitor 1

Re: Tinfoil hats

Big firms SHOULD ask for non backdoor systems.

Why? Industrial espionnage. Happens every day...

3. 404
    Mushroom

Lies.

Microsoft is trying to mollify the unwashed due to the April 6 deadline to convert from Winders Messenger to Skype - fuck 'em, ICQ still works (until I can write or find a replacement for the family bidness)

4. Winkypop Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Nothing to see here, move along.

Yesterday upon the stair

I met a man who wasn't there

He wasn't there again today

I'll bet he's from the CIA

-----------------------

Apols to: William Hughes Mearns

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I am not saying this is true in this case, but...

"We have turned over no customer data to law enforcement.

<sotto voice>... because all data, once it hits our service, is no longer customer data; it belongs to us.</sotto voice>"

I in no way assert this is the case with Skype and Microsoft - I just observe that these are the sorts of semantic games Big Corporations play. This could just as easily apply to Apple, Google, or anybody else.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Use Skype

* To run a bank and burglar it

* To start a war on a pretext

* To organize terrorism aimed against "Axis of evil" states

But don't you dare to use Skype to

* Organise a protest against the banker-robbers

* Organise a protest against ethnic cleansing and Apartheid by a certain state

Skype is essentially as secure as using a HF ham radio and talking to someone in Rome while sitting in London. I am sure they can only operate in Russia because the Russians have the master key to ALL traffic. And the same is with all other nation states, of course.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Plus

If you dear shills want to disprove my claims, then please ask your paymasters in Redmond to publish a Whitepaper on how Skype crypotology actually works. So far all we know is that they use some obfuscated crap that is modified DES. We don't really know how they distribute keys, how they properly authenticate and most important, how Lawful Interception actually works.

If you, dear shills, tell me that "the technique of lawful interception is secret", then we simply have to assume you leak the key to "everybody who potentially needs to know". As you are a commercial entity, I have to assume you simply XOR the session key with a constant and then slowly insert that into the bitstream. The only real security being the specification how the session key is leaked. In other words, a determined hacker will get access, too.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In the meanwhile, in Saudi Arabia...

(to paraphrase Life of Brian)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-21932432

8. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Releasing Skype content?

"The software giant explained that its practice is to require a valid subpoena or equivalent document before releasing non-content data and a court order or warrant before turning over content"

I thought Skype used end-to-end encryption?

"All Skype-to-Skype voice, video, and instant message conversations are encrypted. This protects you from potential eavesdropping by malicious users."

Does Skype use encryption?

Does Skype use encryption?

9. FordPrefect

This is ofc assuming there isnt some sort of government/judicial order covering up data requests... I've not read the report but if a request for information had a secrecy clause then microsoft couldn't report it?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I assumed that microsoft had bought skype on the government's behalf in some gomar explorer-esque black operation.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/12/nsa_offers_billions_for_skype_pwnage/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/10/microsoft_buys_skype/

11. Sean Wallace
    Black Helicopters

The UK authorities made /more/ requests for user data than the US authorities. Not more requests per capita. More requests. That is pretty worrying. Hopefully that is just because the Olympic year was included and this isn't a general pattern.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like