back to article Chinese graves use quick response codes to recall the dead

Japan’s reputation as a global technology trend setter has received some rather unlikely validation: after graves in the country started sporting QR codes, the little squares of encoded data have now appeared in cemeteries in China. The codes are placed to provide links to information about the deceased. In Japan, adding QR …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please...

I'd rather have my name on the stone with the words

'Here lies this obnoxious tw*t a loving dad, grandad, great grandad and great great grandad, who stuck two fingers up at the world, said his last words, "fcuk the lot of you", and didn't leave us a penny the tight fisted sh*t.

Born 1970 Died 2099.

Sadly there is not enough space for that on the stone so a QR code could expand on that, "married 11 times with 30 children 70 grandchildren,142 great grandchildren and 221 great great grandchildren. Never spent a penny on birthday cards and died while on top of his 22 year old wife.

Not that would be a proper legacy.

1. NomNomNom

You should always end an epitaph with "follow me on twitter" just to creep out anyone who happens on your grave.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
    Thumb Up

pictures of items to order for home delivery by scanning their QR code

Oh, think of the fun you could have with a packet of self-adhesive QR codes.

"Honestly, darling, I didn't order THAT!. Nor the vaseline"...

1. Crisp
      Coat

Re: Oh, think of the fun you could have with a packet of self-adhesive QR codes.

They are quite cheap and easy to print yourself...

So I've heard...

3. Graham Marsden
    Pirate

I tried one of these...

... but it just downloaded a Zombie Trojan...

4. jonathanb Silver badge

QR Code supermarket

Why would someone want to go to visit a high street shop in order to order stuff online?

For a big ticket purchase, I can understand that you might want to look at the display model and discus things with the shop assistant; and it is probably too big to fit in your car/bus luggage rack anyway. But for supermarket food, either you want to walk out of the shop with the stuff in your bag, or you can order it online at work or on the way home for delivery when you arrive back.

1. Autonomous Cowherd

Re: QR Code supermarket

One application would be in this case:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGaVFRzTTP4

Where a QR based store is vinyl on the glass of a subway station. Very innovative idea, and there are some benefits to seeing a life size picture of the item you're purchasing.

South Korea has a large fleet of delivery men, so it would theoretically be possible to order on your smartphone in Seoul subway, and have it delivered to your house not too long after you are home. I don't think anyone offers this service yet, but this is a step towards it.

1. Autonomous Cowherd

Re: QR Code supermarket

I clearly didn't re-watch the video before posting. They do deliver when you get home!

5. blarpman
    FAIL

Nothing new here

I remember reading about this back in September...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2198127/Quick-Response-QR-Beyond-grave-A-funeral-director-launches-revolutionary-way-loved-ones-memory-alive-interactive-headstones.html

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like