back to article isoHunt loses appeal against search ban

Canadian file-sharing website isoHunt has lost an appeal against a court injunction that required it to filter out searches for copyrighted material. Canadian national Gary Fung, who operated the site, was ordered to filter searches for BitTorrent downloads in 2010. He was also prohibited from using the terms in the website's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Steve Evans
    Big Brother

Canadian website, US judges

Surely it is down to Canadian courts to make this kind of decision?

Or have the Canadians sold themselves down the river to an extent the British government can only dream about?

BTW, this isn't a pro freetard comment, just questioning the legal process.

1. Shagbag

Re: Canadian website, US judges

It was a US judgement, so it only applies within the US jurisdiction but nationality is not a necessary condition for infringement of US law.

I'd expect the US has extradition treaties with Canada - like it does with the UK - where a non-US citizen can be extradicted to face US laws without any requirement that the same citizen infringed local (ie. non-US) laws.

It's just like a Kanuk version of Gary McKinnon (but without the general public outrage).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Canadian website, US judges

No, you fail to realise that the US exports its laws as it sees fit. If you don't comply they come after you forever....

In the UK, it is enough for them to point a finger and say 'I want him now' and you are on the first flight out, oh sh*t someone's knocking on the door, it's them they're here to take me away, for daring to...... Aaaaaaaaaah, fuc*king tasered.........

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

legion

well, they got one.

which one of the multitude of others will they spend the next 7 years working to close down?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: legion

"which one of the multitude of others will they spend the next 7 years working to close down?"

No doubt several of them. Whilst new ones continue to open at a faster rate than they can shut them down....They seem to like wasting money on Whack-A-Mole.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Today IsoHunt, tomorrow YouTube?

"Fung was also profiting substantially from the operation, we're told. According to Hollywood Reporter, the site indexed millions of torrent downloads."

Where does the referenced article say anything about "Fung ... profiting substantially"? Just askin', like

Meanwhile, at the weekend I was looking for a specific episode of a 1990s TV series which I used to have on off-air VHS.

Isohunt indexed a handful of allegedly relevant torrents, none of which were useful.

But given the episode list on Wikipedia, Youtube found it for me straight away.

Is there much broadcast material left that isn't on Youtube?

Is the big plan to lure everybody into thinking it'll be on Youtube forever, then shut Youtube down? How would Google monetise that?

Hollywood makes no sense to me anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Today IsoHunt, tomorrow YouTube?

With youtube they provide a user interface to allow rights holders to mark content as illegally shared. They also don't exist solely to share copyright material, albeit that's probably why they were started...

2. Tom 13
      Joke

Re: Hollywood makes no sense to me anyway.

Of course not! They have no interest in your zinc bits. It's your Hamiltons and Jacksons they want!

5. Crisp

I guess that it's back to using Google then.

Just like isoHunt, but bigger.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I guess that it's back to using Google then.

But we all know that's bogus. Try typing in "walking dead torrent" into Google, and all you will end up with is a Spyware/Malware ridden BitTorrent client from the featured adverts.. Nothing else.

Nice try...

1. the-it-slayer
        Facepalm

Isohunt isn't the only public torrent site on the web as a matter of fact... just saying.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. kwhitefoot
        Thumb Down

Can El Reg provide a feature that hides AC comments?

4. Steven Roper
        FAIL

@ AC 14:39 Re: Nice try

So, I just typed in "walking dead torrent" into google and the first 10 results were all links to well-known torrent sites, including torrentz, kickasstorrents and piratebay, with copies of the movie. A quick follow up shows from the torrent comments on those sites that the movie torrent is the real deal.

Nice try... now please go back to your MPAA corner office, there a good little shill...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: @ AC 14:39 Nice try

"they aim to get rid of the sites you need to go through after the Google search in order to download."

So one down, several thousand to go then....

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: @ AC 14:39 Nice try

An image of trying to herd cats comes to mind.

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"So, I just typed in "walking dead torrent" into google and the first 10 results were all links to well-known torrent sites, including torrentz, kickasstorrents and piratebay, with copies of the movie."

And lots more under the "In response to a complaint we received under the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we have removed 1 result(s) from this page. If you wish, you may read the DMCA complaint that caused the removal(s) at ChillingEffects.org." bits at the bottom of the page - which conveniently list the URLs removed!

6. David Hicks
    Pirate

Another mole is whacked with a rubber mallet...

Where will the next one pop up?

1. asdf
      FAIL

Re: Another mole is whacked with a rubber mallet...

No way with the roaring success of DRM heavy handed online titles like the latest SimCity convincing users of the value of DRM, the MAFIAA is just a few take down orders from ... having to pay more lawyers.

1. Ceiling Cat
        Mushroom

@ asdf :

No way with the roaring success of DRM heavy handed online titles like the latest SimCity convincing users of the value of DRM, the MAFIAA is just a few take down orders from ... having to pay more lawyers.

All the SimCity "fiasco" convinced me to do is wait a few more days before trying to play any "AAA" releases which use online DRM.

And where were we talking about DRM?

Oh, that's right, you must be one of those bitter customers who vented their spleens on the forums and in the comments at Amazon. Good job, that. I do understand the frustration at not being able to play, but did you guys really have to take it that f**king far just because you couldn't play on release day? Sad, really - poinsoning the reviews just because you couldn't get on with sitting on your duff. Classy!**

** - Not much of one to talk, though, since I'm cutting down some poor tool who's still pitching his toys out of the pram over something that happened a fortnight ago. I could have some sympathy, but I'm fed up with the anti-DRM squad. Actually had a "friend" turn against me just because I wouldn't avoid DRM laden games. Someything about I was helping to encourage them to take away his freedom.... no I wasn't, I was buying and playing a f**king video game.

Nuke, because I'm not a trained IT professional, I'm the bloke who cleans the lavatories.

1. David Hicks
          FAIL

I dunno whether it was all taken too far, but it used to be that when you *bought* a game, you could play it. Not your computer could ask another computer if it was allowed to play it, and that other computer could be busy, or just go offline or whatever.

The anti-DRM squad have so far called everything correctly - media files that people bought in the early days of a variety of schemes are now screwed, games from multiple publishers can't be played every so often as servers go down, and it's only a matter of time before games are 'retired' and can never be played again because a publisher no longer wants to run the validation servers.

1. Ceiling Cat
            Meh

I remember those days - I was a not-so-spotty teenager hammering away on my Amiga. I do seem to remember, too, that I didn't own much in the way of "retail copies" of games back then. The ones I did own, I actually *OWNED*. Now, you don't own a game, the company grants you permission to use the game.

I don't agree with the whole DRM thing, but I fail to see an alternative. One of the biggest problems is that the people who "vote with their wallets" in regards to DRM are quite often more than happy to pirate the game. Phrases like "If they're going to treat me like a criminal after I bought the game" are happily connected with the phrase "I'll just go download the cracked version whe it comes out.", and nobody seems at all willing to acknowledge the hypocrisy of this behavior.

Personally, I take the stance that if I want to play the game badly enough, I will suffer with the DRM. I have many many games which I have had to bin because I didn't want to use a crack to bypass CD protections that didn't work under modern operating systems. I could build and maintain a legacy box, but I already have 3 desktop PCs and a laptop to deal with. Some of them, like Earth 2160, I had to bin because the activation servers were taken down (nobody could possibly still want to play this, right?).

There's no way I believe that SimCity (or any of my games which use Uplay) are going to be playable in 5 years. Even 3 would be a stretch. The point is to get the most out of them while you can, not worry that sometime down the road, you'll have a hankering to play some more and it won't be able to authenticate. That's even a concern with my PS3, but I'm not just going to stop buying games (and DLC for those games) just because they might go away.

7. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Fung was also profiting substantially from the operation, we're told. According to Hollywood Reporter, the site indexed millions of torrent downloads.

How does the latter translate to the former? I need to know for money-making purposes.

If this goes on I will no longer be able to find all the good music form th 90's that has been dropped off the "long tail" or is being sold at extortionate prices via second-hand CDs. Or is available via MP3, but "not in your country"....

1. scrubber
      Pirate

Second hand CDs...

Make the label and the artist exactly the same amount as pirated music.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Second hand CDs...

And there have been several attempts to ban resale of s/h music/books.

How do you think the "first sale" doctrine got established?

1. scrubber

Re: Second hand CDs...

Indeed, but my point, if I had one, was that it makes no difference to any rights holder if you download illegally or buy a second hand CD. So why would they prosecute you for downloading for free rather than paying £9.49 for something that nets them no benefit - obviously assuming there was no legal way to buy it in your region that would pay the artist or publisher.

8. sisk

So they ordered the lower court to reword the ruling to allow him to get another tech job. I have to ask, though, what tech company is going to hire him with this ruling on his record?

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Windows

A few come to mind

The Pirate Bay, Napster, Skynet, oh wait, that's not a company....

9. Wang N Staines
    Happy

Mr Fung should move to the jungle of Vietnam, the American won't pursue him there.

10. chivo243 Silver badge
    Holmes

What about the other isohunt?

Made a mistake once, typed isohunt dot org.... funny, it's another sharing site, wonder how that works?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like