back to article Google extends trademarks-in-ads policy to whole world

Google has altered its policy on the use of trademarks on AdWords, extending permission for advertisers to use rivals' trademarks in their ads to every nation on earth. The text ads giant has posted a trademark policy update in which it offers the following explanation for the change: Google's goal is to provide our users …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Crisp

How does this affect people with adblock installed?

Am I going to notice a difference?

1. S4qFBxkFFg

Re: How does this affect people with adblock installed?

That will depend on whether you have disabled display of "non-intrusive" adverts and whether these particular adverts are regarded as "non-intrusive".

After some experimental googling, it appears they are blocked, so probably no difference.

2. Superavi

This refers to the 'paid ads' that appear in google search results in the top and the right - since these are plain text, they should not be affected by your adblock.

What I'm keen to know is can one use trademarks? (I know one 'shouldnt' but can one?)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

What plain-text ads?

2. Martin Brennan

Kiss of death for Adwords

I am a trademark owner and I pay Google for Adwords. Do I understand this correctly - anybody can now use my trademark in a Google ad regardless of what their site is peddling. Is that right?

Trademarks, hallmarks, standards, weights and measures all simplify and expedite commerce in the civilized world. Its hard to understand this decision by Google - I am sure they don't like policing trademarks but they are biting the hand that feeds them and turning Adwords into junk.

I mentioned the Louis Vuitton example to my wife and without missing a beat she said "Kiss of Death" - I looked at her and she added "for Google".

1. S4qFBxkFFg

Re: Kiss of death for Adwords

If I'm reading it right, it's more for retailers - so if someone sells your products, they should be allowed to mention your trademarks.

It might also be for competitors - e.g. an advert saying "Try Pepsi - it's better than Coke!" You could argue that it's not a provable statement, but it could be taken as an opinion, which is probably still allowed.

Seriously fucking dodgy would be if this allows someone to (falsely) claim or imply their product is actually someone else's - if this starts happening with Google's knowledge, then they have a big problem.

3. Shades
    Joke

Flash b*stards!

"With that precedent in its pocket, plus the Loius Vuitton case"

I guess a normal sized wallet wouldn't suffice for carrying round their wads of cash?

4. Eguro

I thought the central point was, that whilst it might be illegal to advertise using the trademarks of others, it is not illegal for the vehicle for such ads (in this case Google).

But yeah, I'm also totally for this being the death of Google - which sadly it wont be :)

5. M Gale

Status bar?

window.status="trololololololol"

Doesn't work in the default configurations of IE, Firefox, Chrome or Safari.

Will get Opera users every time though.

6. Gannon (J.) Dick
    FAIL

Disapointment

"... hovering your mouse over an ad to see just where that link promising an ice-cold CokeTM will take now you seems more sensible that ever before."

Here I expected an expose of narco-kingpin Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and was shunted off to New Zealand to read about dead people. Seriously, El Reg, think of your readers once in a while.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like