back to article Brit web biz waves white flag in Python trademark bout

UK website hoster Veber has binned its bid to exclusively trademark the word “python” in Europe following talks with the Python Software Foundation (PSF). In an agreement described by both sides as “amicable”, Veber will also rebrand its hosting and online backup service that it had called Python. The British company and the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alan Bourke

They've attracted the required publicity...

...now common sense will prevail.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Devil

Glory!

Can we a "MUAHAHA" inlined image, please.

3. dotdavid
    Go

Announcement

"After much deliberation we have decided to call the new hosted service 'Pythonline'. We feel that this new bra... what do you mean that's taken too? Can't we trademark it then? No? Oh, er, okay."

4. wim
    Joke

stress test

it was just a good marketing ploy and a cheap way to stress test their servers.

5. Ragarath
    WTF?

Confused?

but it wasn’t awarded a US trademark until 2004. In an email to The Reg, Lindberg asserted the PSF had the right to use Python in Europe due to prior use of the word on the Continent.

Not defending Verber here as I agree that it would cause confusion in the space the trademark was being applied for but...

PSF thought the name was important for them to trademark in the US, but not important enough for them to trademark else where?

Why throw the baby out with the bathwater if they failed to do so and only assumed they had the right when someone else applied for the trademark?

I assume they will now trademark it?

6. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Coat

Originally they wanted to call the service "Monty" ...

I'll get me coat

7. LinkOfHyrule
    Joke

"The British company and the PSF locked horns"

Don't you mean - "They tried to squeeze the shit out of each other"!

8. ecofeco Silver badge
    Trollface

Oh Snap

The Internet: how does it work?

9. Steven Roper
    Trollface

So the message is clear

DDoS attacks, email bombings and death threats get results.

"Terrorists Win!"

10. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

"This is not who we are or how we act."

Given that he only had to say that because that's how 'they' *did* act, I'm not convinced that he's correct.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like