back to article South Korean TV and banks paralysed in disk-wipe cyber-blitz

Banks and TV stations in South Korea have been hit by a debilitating attack on their computer networks. Three financial institutions - Shinhan, Nonghyup and Jeju - and two insurance firms as well as broadcasters KBS, MBC and YTN have either been partially or completely crippled by malware, it appears, according to South Korean …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. g e
    Black Helicopters

Larry Ellison did it

From his floating cyber-bunker, the Musashi.

He's been watching too many Bond movies, you see. Well, one black helicopter is as good as another...

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Devil

Shamefur Dispray!

Looks like yet another case of "Signature-based Antivirus sucks Donkey Dong"

3. rich_a
    WTF?

You're mixing up your Koreas

"However some important websites, including KCNA and Air Koryo, were rendered temporarily inaccessible."

They're North Korean websites. They were down last week when NK had it's own internet problems (Kim Jong-Un unplugged the router power supply to charge his HTC phone)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You're mixing up your Koreas

I am sure the Glorious Fat Boy owns an iphone. HTC would be below the level of a semi-god like him.

1. rich_a

No, really, he owns an HTC. There was a flurry of news about it last month when he was pictured with one.

2. Rob
        Go

An iPhone would be a symbol of western decadence, so he'd never purchase one of those and if he did he wouldn't show it in public.

4. g e
    Paris Hilton

FOX already reporting NORK 'cyber attack' as if it were fact

Apparently NBC are, too. Maybe they get their news from FOX.

BBC concurred with El Reg three hours ago, so more likely FOX are making shit up as usual instead unless SK really think the NK's did it over the last three hours' investigating. Which would seem extremely fast.

Paris, cos she & FOX operate on the same level.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Mr_Pitiful
    Mushroom

It's amazing......

What can be achieved with a few spectrums and C64s

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Win machines?!

Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

Can have that for free...

8. SillySqlSquirrel

I was wondering why there was a lot of traffic hitting my firewall from seoul this morning. Anyone else been hit by portscans from korea at the same time?

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Self-inflicted wound

Korea's networks have always been a mess of infected machines and botnets. My bet is that a few C&C servers for those bots were hacked and provided with self-destruct code; all the dead machines were bots. If so, thumbs up to whoever did it. My firewall logs just got a lot shorter.

1. David Kelly 2

Re: Self-inflicted wound

Serves them right for using Microsoft products.

A bit surprised more of this has not happened sooner. Then again smart parasites know not to kill their host. Stupid parasites kill their host and lose their home + life. That is the best argument I know supporting North Korea as the culprit. Not smart enough to know better than to make their presence known.

2. MacGyver
        Devil

Re: Self-inflicted wound

When I was in South Korea in 2005 you couldn't re-install XP and get it updated fast enough to prevent the new install from being infected. You had to use an external firewall or install the patches offline. If I remember it right, it took 30 seconds of being on the internet unprotected to get infected.

2. Rick Giles
      Linux

@SillySqlSquirrel

Had a bunch of notices from Fail2ban for attempts from China,, a smattering from Brasil and one from KORNET (Korea Telecom).

9. The Jase

Looking at how primitive their IT was when I was last in country, I'm not surprised.

Theymay have quick internet, but there are still an awful lot of CRT's and junk boxes out there.

10. The_Regulator

North Koreans Can't Nuke But Can Hack

Hack joo so good that I take down my own sites too as collateral....

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"...images of skulls appeared on some computer screens..."

Did the screens go all flickery, like intense magnetic interfence on a CRT, followed by a repeating track of some poorly-synthesised laughter too? Quite clearly the source of this worm is Hollywood...

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Quite clearly the source of this worm is Hollywood...

Ah, well fixing it all should be simple then. They just need to attach a supercomputer to the network, fire up a command line and type in "RUN INFECTION REMOVAL".

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
        Happy

Maybe

they have seen the film and disconnected the nuclear missiles from the computer's control..... ekkk a nakkid time traveling woman just appeared and said "come with me if you want to live".... time to get my kit off

12. Alan Brown Silver badge

No surprise

Korean networks are fast, but their attitude to security works along the lines of shooting the messenger - and leaving the barn door firmly open.

13. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Pint

Back to playing Starcraft...

Really, Sork vs. Nork is so yesterday.

Cyprus is where it's at! Hot, steamy banks. Sweating Merkel Ferkel. Euroshambles extravaganza.

Who can resist?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like