back to article NetApp modifies benchmark system and - shock - comes out TOP

NetApp's number crunchers at Sunnyvale have sweetened the firm's SPC-2 benchmark results in an attempt to help NetApp stand out from the crowd, emphasising the price/performance bennies of its latest E5500 disk array. The Storage Performance Council (SPC) is a storage industry benchmark body that helps the industry provide …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Diskcrash

Nice but nothing new

The Engenio products have always been reasonably solid and performed well for their cost so this is just a logical evolution from the previous generation. What they failed to do for many years while being sold to many different companies and still have not shown that they can do is provide much in the way of software and application integration or innovation and in that regards, NetApp and EMC provide a much richer feature set. Storage needs to evolve but so do the people making it and the Engenio group seem to be a one trick pony.

1. M. B.

Re: Nice but nothing new

Yes, NetApp needs to bring FAS levels of integration and tools to the E-series. They might not, because they won't want to hurt their cash cow, but it would bring the E-series to a whole new level IMO.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Now that IBM has unofficially replaced the DS3/4/5 with V37/7000 (replacing Engenio with their own IP), I wonder if NetApp is all that interested. It was always an odd purchase as IBM had to be overwhelmingly the top buyer of Engenio and were clearly going their own way even before NetApp purchased it from LSI.... Maybe NetApp can use their FAS connections with accounts to push Engenio as a lower end option for remote sites and whatnot, but, if anything, I would have thought that NetApp would have wanted to go up market to compete with the VMAXs, VSPs, XIVs, DS8s, etc... or sideways into some related software business such as content management via buying OpenText or something of that nature... maybe CommVault. I always thought it was a strange buy.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I would have thought NetApp would have gone after HDS. Hitachi would probably be willing to part with it. Sure, there would have been some overlap between FAS and HUS, but not complete overlap. Getting VSP would have allowed NetApp to tussle with EMC and IBM for the top tier environments with a good FC story, instead of their WAFL emulation, as well as rounded out the rest of the portfolio..... Now that NetApp passed, I think Cisco will look closely at HDS. Start a proper war with EMC after EMC/VMware decided to buy Nicira. If not HDS, Cisco is buying some storage company.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like