back to article New Apple TV may hint at Apple-Samsung divorce

The latest iteration of the Apple TV – that "hobby" project first of Steve Jobs then later Tim Cook – includes a downsized A5 processor that may hint at progress in Cupertino's ongoing effort to distance itself from rival Samsung. Or not. On Sunday, MacRumors reported that they had popped open one of the new Apple TVs that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

F U Sammy!

Luv Apple.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There wil be two possible responses on this subject,

Those that go:

Yeah Apple go go go!

And those that go:

Fcuk U Apple!

Which one are you?

1. Neil Greatorex

Third option

of course, is Eadon:

MICROSOFT FAIL YADDA YADDA

2. Thomas Gray

I had to check if the sky was falling

Apple actually responded to a question from El Reg? Shurely shome mishtake!

1. Simon Harris
      Happy

Re: I had to check if the sky was falling

Err... read the article again...

that bit was part of the fantasy!

1. Dabooka
        WTF?

@Simon Harris

Which numpty down-voted that comment?! Simon was spot on

1. Dabooka
          Happy

Asked for that I suppose....

2. Katie Saucey
      Coffee/keyboard

see icon, until I got down a few lines..

3. Intractable Potsherd
      Unhappy

Yep - that stood out so much that I thought I had been transported to a different, saner reality, and was about to check how the world had progressed without Thatcher and Reagan, and how many colonies we had on other planets ... then I read on, and found that it was all a lie, and that I am still stuck in this variation of reality.

Bastards ...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lost interest after ATV 2nd gen

No jailbreak for 3rd gen to allow XBMC installation so not interested.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Jediben
        Thumb Up

Re: Lost interest after ATV 2nd gen

WD TV Live ftw. Works with Logitech Harmony remotes too!

4. Bob Vistakin
    Facepalm

But what shape are its corners?

I can't wait for Apple to innovate a large, black rectangular device for watching moving pictures with sound on. It's what the human race has been waiting for all these years, and when they do finally think different and bring such a stunningly original genius invention to market, it's only right and proper they go round suing everyone else who copied their idea over the last 20 years.

5. Neil Greatorex
    Flame

Beyond a joke now

Even for click-bait.

There's a rumour that Samsung is not the chip supplier for some shite idevice* and it's a 700 word article. The SGS4 is due to launch in a few days; we see fuck nothing, other than a snide article on wireless charging.

Please cancel my subscription

Disgusted

Tunbridge Wells

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

* did you put that to mess with our heads

When there's an asterisk with no corresponding footnote it makes my chakra feel all unbalanced for the rest of the day.

What was the aside that the OP meant to include but forgot? We will never know...

2. t.est

Re: Beyond a joke now

Who cares about the new samsung?

Nokia learned to keep their mouth shut from Apple, that way their products got more media attention after launch. Well, the Koreans will eventually copy that too.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Beyond a joke now

"Well, the Koreans will eventually copy that too."

Does this slur indicate that you believe that 'sung copied Apple, or do you believe that Apple are actually god and invented everything? Just need to gauge your understanding before I make a decision as to whether your a complete idiot or a troll.

6. Steve Todd

Or could it be

That the A5 in the Apple TV is a cut down part? It certainly doesn't need the amount of GPU horsepower that the iPad does and the GPU cores are the biggest part of the A5 chip.

7. Chris007
    Coffee/keyboard

you swines!

"We called Apple, and they told us that the new A5 is now a 28nm chip, and it's manufactured not by Apple's iDevice processor partner, Samsung, but instead by the Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC), and that they made the change because Apple is weaning itself from its chip-baking relationship with the Korean smartphone competitor and patent-litigation enemy.

That previous paragraph, of course, was pure fantasy – übersecretive Apple would never be so forthcoming."

see icon!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A5

Why no A6 in AppleTV when it's mains powered, surely Apple don't want 1080P content stuttering ?

There must be a reason...

1. Silverburn
      Gimp

Re: A5

It doesn't stutter now, even on A5, and even over wifi. This is using Apple's "low bitrate" HD movies mind you, which are less than perfect when it comes to artifacts (compared to Blu-ray sources). Inevitable, given the meagre circa 4gb file sizes.

However...it does have know timing issues with some Sammie screens with the motion plus feature activated, which causes it to skip a couple of frames every 4 second. Annoying? Very. Read into that what you will.

9. Mage Silver badge

Trade Descriptions Act. & SoGA

No Tuner

No Screen

Why are they allowed to call it a TV? It's just a locked down overpriced Media playback & Streaming device.

1. Ross K Silver badge
      WTF?

Re: Trade Descriptions Act. & SoGA

Maybe they couldn't fit "iOverpriced media playback & streaming device" on the little box it comes in??

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Coat

Yup, same reason it says "The Garden State" on New Jersey number plates.

"The Petrochemical Refinery and Metal Recyling State" won't fit in the space.

2. Eddie Knopfler
      Holmes

Holy Shit!! You're really on to something... I just looked inside my Samsung Galaxy and there's no fucking stars, nebulas, black holes or pulsars! Shit the bed!!

How do these marketing departments get away with it?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I get why Apple would want to ween itself away from Sammy...

Apple: $1 Billion please samsung

Sammy: here you go, oh by the way, your NEXT order of chips has a price rise....

Apple:How much?

Sammy: $1.5Billion

Apple... you don't bite the hand that feeds you... it might just stop doing so....

1. Silverburn

While avoiding the whole cause/blame of the 1bn figure fine, I'm not sure why you were downvoted. There's a very real possibility Apple (and possibly others) will face a price hike for exactly this reason. Gotta be pretty naive to think Samsung are just gonna suck it up.

It should be noted though, that the 1bn figure is very likely to come down by not insignificant amounts.

1. MissingSecurity

It was probably downvoted...

since only a fool would think that Apple, is Sammie's only means to profit from chips and that Apple won't actually incentives Samsung with this type of move.

Were not going to magically loose Galaxy's because Apple won't buy their chips from Samsung. Hell we may even actually benefit as customer with such a move if the two get into a Smaller, Faster, More efficient chip war.

11. Anal Leakage

I'm confused; I've just read an article about Apple on The Register that was not peppered with insults to the company and it's customers, that simply discussed the situation at hand.

The Chaebol Defense Alliance had better get downvoting...

12. schlepP

I don't clain to know what these guys are up to but they are looking for cpu verification engineers.........

1. Ross K Silver badge
      Coat

I don't clain to know what these guys are up to but they are looking for cpu verification engineers........

Maybe they can share an open plan office with Apple's Iphone antenna designers and the iOS map designers.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like