back to article Google Glass to recognize you by your FASHION SENSE

The überhyped Google Glass augmented-reality specs will take a step beyond mere facial recognition technology, and recognize you not only by your features, but by what you're wearing. The technology to be incorporated into Google's geeky goggles is called InSight, and was developed by Srihari Nelakuditi of the University of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Turtle

"Fashion Sense".

"Google Glass to recognize you by your FASHION SENSE"

Or lack thereof.

1. LinkOfHyrule
      Joke

Re: "Fashion Sense".

"A friend of mine" has had a go on these - one look at me and it they ID'ed me as an old mail sack, a Victorian table cloth and a frayed carpet!

2. MrT

Sooo.....

... Google will be able to (eventually) recognise someone from the way they look. Is this from all angles? Hairstyles? Back of Head...?

GoogleBoH - the system that never forgets the back of your head... or at least stands a good chance of telling you apart from an exhibit in the Tate Modern after a while at least, with maybe more than a single Google Glance (TM) needed, but those EULAs will cover that...

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    FAIL

somewhat ominously for secure areas, your badge.

In a crowd? Must a bloody good camera they've managed to squeeze in those frames. To be "ominous" would require in remarkable high resolution and/or some very good quality and therefore bulky optics. Or maybe it's not "ominous" at all and just takes note that a badge is being worn by the shape and contrast.. Especially since the image isn't being stored but just a numerical representation of a spectrum.

icon for the FUD

4. VinceH
    Joke

Optional

Dear Google,

You're doing it wrong. I do not want your glasses to look at what women^W people are wearing, I want them to look at (and show me) what's underneath their clothing. For scientific research purposes, doncherknow.

Yours,

P. Tom

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Optional

To quote Frank Skinner (not exact wording):

"They used to have adverts in comics for x-ray specs. They would have a picture of some kid looking at the bones in his hand. If I had some I wouldn't be looking at my hand, after a few days everyone would be able to see the bones in my hand".

1. LarsG

Re: Optional

X-ray specs!

Why not a link to a web data base ((Facebook perhaps) and with facial recognition and tagging that will automatically pull up compromising or naked pictures of who you are looking at. Of course the software will necessitate a male female filter just in case.

Now where can I buy one.

5. Christoph
    Facepalm

Major embarrasment

It's quite easy to mistake a stranger for a friend, especially from behind (there's a great scene about this in "Three Men in a Boat").

But now you know it's your friend, because the computer said so.

Oops!

6. JassMan

What they really need is software that will tell them who is likely to smash them in the face for wearing GGs.

I can see some interesting lawsuits coming up when people in a bar for instance request the wearer to remove their GGs, only for the wearer to refuse on the grounds that the bar doesn't have a warning sign, as in http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/09/seattle_bar_bans_google_glass/.

IMHO there doesn't need to be a sign, the fact that it is not in the street is sufficient for anyone to expect a right of privacy.

1. ShadowedOne
      Thumb Down

Yes there does need to be a sign, it's up to the owner of any given premises to determine what is allowable, not some over-aggressive jackass looking for people to smash in the face. Seriously, people need to grow the hell up with all the threats of violence.

On a side note, I wonder how long it'll take for police forces to adopt these glasses?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Just because you believe it, doesn't make it so

@shadowedone. Partially correct. What you can and cannot do on private property is indeed up to the landlord but they don't need to display signs. What is acceptable absent a specific instruction will depend on what the law considers reasonable.

It can usually be succinctly put as 'don't be an asshole' .. I would be prepared to wager a considerable sum that the majority of people would view someone walking into a pub and recordng everyone, as an asshole. Therefore there would be a reverse expectation .. A sign warning people that goo-glasses are allowed on these premises.

7. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    WTF?

WHY!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Correction

* WHY?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely EPIC FAIL of the week.

Google Glass doesn't look at you, it looks at the person you are looking AT.....

Did this "news" come from the university of fail?

If you want something that spies on YOU, then look no further than Xbox Kinect...

Microsoft's patent on using Kinect to charge for the number of users watching a movie.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/microsoft-patents-kinect-anti-piracy-capabilities/

Microsoft's plans on using Kinect to look for logos on shirts etc, so they can serve up up even more adverts in the Xbox dashboard.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ingame/kinect-lets-you-interact-ads-may-spy-your-mood-828447

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Surely EPIC FAIL of the week.

«Microsoft's patent on using Kinect to charge for the number of users watching a movie.»

Hehe... anyone else remember sneakily watching TV from behind the couch after your parents had sent you to bed?

9. The BigYin
    Mushroom

In a near future

"Hi Charlie!

You friend Adam was walking through the square and his Google Glasses tagged you in a romantic embrace with someone who was not your wife. Here's the top ten list of divorce lawyers in your area..."

"Hi Derek!

You asked for alerts on Bill from our social feed. Bill was tagged by Charlie (not in your circles) passed out and vomiting on the pavement just outside a bar. Here is a top ten list of employment lawyers that you associated with this alert."

"Hi Emma!

Adam (not in your circles) tagged Charlie in a romantic embrace with someone that was not you. Here's the top ten list of divorce lawyers in your area..."

"Hi Bill!

You appear to be passed out and drunk on the pavement. Here is the nearest AA meeting <details> and here is the top ten list of employment agencies in your area...you're going to need them!"

Seriously...Google Glasses are a threat to our anonymity, our privacy (even in a public place) and our society. "Don't be evil" my arse. Google are now a greater threat than MS and FB combined.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like