back to article Korean schools to deploy robot chaperones

Korean educational authorities have a bold new plan to curb the ever-rising tide of teenage lustfulness. Students at a middle school (ages 13-15) in southern Seoul are to be watched by robots from this week in a trial security project. The robot in question, the OFRO, was designed in Germany but is made in Korea by DU Robo. It …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. the Jim bloke

Still confused

how is this superior to fixed cameras?

It sounds to be slow, obtrusive, and easily avoided, requiring the same human monitoring that normal security cameras do.

If they had come up with some form of robotic AI that could identify a predator, now that would be worth mentioning.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Giant interactive video game!

Let's see...a 'robots hunting humans' game, with realtime play in a maze. Defeat their sensors for bonus time. Thrill of the chase adds an element of spice to existing relationships. Frustration factor and jackpots keep you coming back for more. Can we get this into a theme park?

3. James Cleveland

Kids aren't allowed to have relationships now?

This is pretty nuts, if I at 15 had finally managed to score with a girl (ha ha) I'd be pretty annoyed if my school thought it was wrong. What business do they have controlling peoples emotions, anyway?

4. Dave Watts

Call me old fashioned but...

Back in the 1970's we had fully autonomous, roaming units which patrolled the playground maintaining law and order, and generally preventing any unauthorised behaviour. They were called teachers and dinner ladies. So much more cost effective to spend billions on a roaming robot that no where near as effective. The planet is getting fuller with people everyday - we don't need labour saving devices any more, just use people.

5. Adam West

Reminds me of America

I was in the US visiting my then-girlfriend about 3 years ago. For whatever reason she ended up taking me to school with her one day. She's 18 at this point, so not a minor in any sense.

We were having an innocent cuddle in the playground when suddenly this fat twerp with a security badge waddled up to us and demanded we get our hands off each other. My reply doesnt need repeating.

I guess some backward and introverted cultures have a big problem with people expressing their emotions and opinions. Their loss, I think.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You have twenty seconds to drop your weapon

Fifteen.

Ten.

Five.

*spins up gatling gun*

ED-209

This topic is closed for new posts.