back to article LHC spots mesons flipping between matter and antimatter

The LHC might be inactive at the moment, but the science goes on: a group of researchers trawling the instrument's vats of data has spotted a matter-antimatter oscillation that completes their “zoo” of meson “flips”. In a paper published at Arxiv and accepted by Physical Review Letters, the researchers say they've spotted D …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

Very nice

How does that look in a Feynman diagram though? Does the arrow along the "one of the infinitely possible particle paths" alternatively point to the future and to the past?

2. Len Goddard

Beauty returns to quantum physics

Genuine physics aside, I am delighted to see that the bottom quark has oscillated back into its beauty state.

I was very disappointed when the original Truth and Beauty names for the T & B quarks were replaced by the mundane and unimaginative Top and Bottom. Although I suppose there is a place for Tops and Bottoms in an SM theory ...

3. Rentaguru

nothing to show

oh come on what's this www thingy we're using here .... direct from particle physics.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You lost me after "The"

I was away the day we did quarks at school.

Headmaster

Re: You lost me after "The"

In France, one would not be allowed to do quarks!

5. Crisp
    Go

Mesons play for both sides in polarity switch shocker!

So where's the sexy footage of mesons oscillating?

1. breakfast Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Mesons play for both sides in polarity switch shocker!

The people demand that it be illustrated through the medium of Playmobil.

6. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Naive understanding of antimatter...

[Mesons] don't annihilate because that only occurs when a particle is confronted with its own antiparticle; in the case of mesons, the mis-match between quark types prevents this from happening.

Tell that to the J/ψ meson (charm/anticharm).

7. S4qFBxkFFg

So, to someone who didn't do any more physics than 1st year undergrad, how much closer does this get us to huge antimatter factories in tight solar orbit pumping out grammes of the stuff?

About the lifetime of a typical meson

8. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
    Boffin

I'm confused

If a meson is composed of both a quark and an anti-quark, how can it have an anti-partner? Surely that, too would be composed of an anti-quark and quark; what then distinguishes this from it's normal matter counterpart?

Is it just by convention that we call a meson composed of a anti-charmed quark and a down quark as matter, but one composed of an anti-down quark and charmed quark as antimatter? How does flipping between the two cause CP violation, or is it to do with the quarks having different charge/spin/colour values?

I'm sure the answers are out there for me to google if I so wish, but I feel the article should at least explain what the actual transition that has been observed is, and why it demonstrates charge/parity violation. After all, if this does go towards explaining why the universe contains matter at all, it is an important result.

1. Mallorn
      Boffin

Re: I'm confused

"If a meson is composed of both a quark and an anti-quark, how can it have an anti-partner?"

D0 meson = charm quark + up anti-quark

anti-D0 meson = charm anti-quark + up quark

Since a charm quark is distinct from a charm anti-quark these are two different particles. However you can get mesons consisting of the quark and anti-quark of the same flavour (e.g. phi meson = strange+anti-strange). These are their own anti-particles just like a photon!

9. Gareth Gouldstone
    Happy

Bambleweeny 57 Sub-Meson Brain ...

and a nice hot cup of tea.

Simples!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

labor prices in different countries

just for the record, in order to warn any non-westerners:

"The cost [...] has been evaluated, taking into account realistic labor prices in different countries. The total cost is X (with a western equivalent value of Y) [where Y>X]

source: LHCb calorimeters : Technical Design Report

ISBN: 9290831693 http://cdsweb.cern.ch/record/494264

http://cdsweb.cern.ch/record/1127343?ln=en

11. 4ecks
    Joke

LHC Collider?

Why do we need to collide Lettuce, Ham & Cheese with Layers of Extra Pickle and Squeezy Mustard ?

12. ecofeco Silver badge
    Trollface

So THAT'S where the anit-matter is hiding.

Fascinating...

13. William Donelson

Perhaps matter itself is a fractal; the deeper you go, the more you find.

14. Jamie Jones Silver badge
    Coat

Errrrrrrr

Could you please redo this article as a series of photos, using playmobil characters?

Trying to make sense of this drove me quarkers

/gets coat

15. attoman

How lovely in scope and color and charming to behold

the Standard Model is beautiful. One should also appreciate the purpose of naming unique mathematical characterizations charm, and color. How sad that we have up and down, top and bottom, for these words impart to the mind a familiar behavior with no connection to their use in the SM.

What is amusing is that we are told that only "serious physicists" etc. No one in their right mind will accept the results of the LHC as proven until the Higgs has shown by further yet to be defined experimentation that it has the right "stuff".

ANd how can anyone be satisfied with this years accelerator energies when Dark Matter and Dark Energy rule the Universe and are untamed by "serious physicists".

I predict the way forward will be through the DARKness and into the light of Beyond the Standard Model.

Please don't take me seriously.

16. mfritz0
    Alien

Vacuum Energy

So with all these virtual anti-particles, how much longer before vacuum energy will become a reality? It seems if these virtual particles really exist in the vacuum, they could theoretically be manipulated virtually, then supplied with enough energy (E=MC^2) to bring them out of the hidden dimension they are in, to annihilate with their reality counterpart. (which should produce two times E=MC^2) This sounds like Sci-Fi, but there has to be a way to create an energy efficient way to produce a strong stream of anti-particles that could be used as an energy source that would be much more efficient than even fusion. Perhaps this is off topic, but they were talking about anti-matter here. Even a way to produce a steady stream of positrons could do the trick, you would think, and one source could be the virtual positrons that surround each real electron. Imagine how much energy you could produce by colliding a stream of naked electrons with their positron counterparts.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Prists versus scholars

Higgs V Non Higgs, God V Big Bang, LHC V LEP....

just more people talking out their arses about their team being better, in the end it has no impact on the real world, just as it has not for years.

What productivity that has helped humanity has come from knowing that there are particles smaller than we can use in life have there been?

spend the money on the starving world or create better ways of feeding them

1. Mallorn
      Stop

Re: Prists versus scholars

"What productivity that has helped humanity has come from knowing that there are particles smaller than we can use in life have there been?"

Says the person posting a message on a website using a computer. The fact that you have a computer is because 100 years ago Rutherford was bouncing alpha particles of a gold foil and Schrodinger, Heisenberg et al were developing quantum mechanics. Oh and the web itself was invented by CERN to help large, international groups of particle physicists to communicate with each other. So how about we start with those two.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like