back to article Open Virtualisation Format 2.0 lands, world+dog yawns

Anyone contemplating a move to the cloud has, by now, paused for a moment to wonder how to escape from their chosen provider of numinous computing. They've done so because shunting a virtual machine (VM) and its workloads into the cloud may seem like a fine idea today, but there are any number of reasons one may wish to place …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SOBERING

"They've done so because shunting a virtual machine (VM) and its workloads into the cloud may seem like a fine idea today, but there are any number of reasons one may wish to place it elsewhere in future. A few come easily to mind: your cloud provider could go titsup or become unacceptably unreliable; you may want to bring the workload back home on a matter to meet a particular need; another cloud could offer better prices, or; you might like the idea of moving the VM for disaster recovery or follow-the-moon."

The word that most comes to mind for me regarding this article is--- its SOBERING.

2. Chris Miller

Numinous computing?

nu·mi·nous (adj): Having a strong religious or spiritual quality; indicating or suggesting the presence of a divinity.

Are you thinking of nebulous, perchance?

1. Chicken Marengo
      Angel

Re: Numinous computing?

>>nu·mi·nous (adj): Having a strong religious or spiritual quality; indicating or suggesting the presence of a divinity.

Well, if you're hosting your VMs with Amazon or Azure (or the clowns that we use, who I shan't be naming) you better hope there's someone watching over them.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Angel

Apple's iCloud offers numinous computing.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Angel

BLINDED BY THE LIGHT!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Curious: has anyone out there actually got OVA/OVF 1.x to work?

I tried to get VMware-sourced appliances onto Ora-VBox. The latter bounced the resulting appliance every time, complaining about checksum errors etc. Since each try takes like 8 hours, I didn't try many.

4. Roland6 Silver badge

Interest from Enterprise

It would be interesting to know who in the Enterprise Gartner questioned. In some respects I would expect it to be something that Enterprise Infrastructure Architects would automatically specify and use without really involving senior management in the decision making.

1. Don Jefe
      Meh

Re: Interest from Enterprise

Gartner asked whoever would give them the answers they needed to make the report acceptable to whomever commissioned it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like