back to article Hey, PCIe flash makers. Look behind you - it's Samsung

Samsung is stalking PCIe flash companies and aims to meet them head-to-head. Yes, the South Korean giant is going to enter the PCIe flash card game. According to Peyman Blumstengel, a strategic business development man at Samsung Electronics, the company has PCIe flash cards on its roadmap and products should appear in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mikel
    Stop

Samsung is getting too dominant

Don't get me wrong - I love their tech. I've got my SGS3 and it will do for now, though the S4 specs look pretty tasty. Our TVs, Blu-rays are all Samsung too. Their stuff is first rate and unlike Sony's stuff, works with our other stuff.

But with their fab capacity, display technologies, flash technologies, vertical integration - we're in danger of being a Samsung world. How long before they start moving proprietary, or cutting off others from the stream of innovation?

For progress to continue we need competitors to keep things honest. Right now it looks like Samsung is positioned to kill them all and take the whole game.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Samsung is getting too dominant

It's Wintel all over again. The sad thing is there are so many fanboys who don't see this as a bad thing, but then some people would love to be ruled by a dictator.

2. David Hicks
      Meh

Re: Samsung is getting too dominant

I love their stuff but I must admit I'm starting to look for excuses not to buy Samsung any more, for this very reason.

No I'm not going to buy Apple either, but I will be looking out for opportunities to buy good stuff from neither of them as I really don't like the idea of any tech firm owning the whole landscape.

2. Tony Rogerson
    Thumb Up

Hopefully they'll be in the enterprise space.

I know they've comodity SSD SATA 3 drives (just ordered one this morning); but we need them in the enterprise space to drive those ridiculously high SSD drive prices down. Hopefully they'll pick up where OCZ hasn't really succeeded - the PCIe flash enterprise space.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Copying other successful designs as ever. It's very easy to just jump on the bandwagon. They should try doing something new for a change and something that isn't just a manufacturing process innovation.

1. ShadowedOne
      FAIL

You've got the wrong room, the Apple talking point and mutual masturbation conference is down the hall.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like